Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Injury & Recovery (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   knee brace for knee injury prevention (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9071)

GMP 03-24-2011 06:32 PM

Thats why I have the off the shelf brace, bought direct out of pocket BEFORE new injury. If your an ACL or other knee injury patient then its usually no problem getting a custom CTi covered as part of treatment under a decent insurance plan.

mudwasp 03-25-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 60138)
Thats why I have the off the shelf brace, bought direct out of pocket BEFORE new injury. If your an ACL or other knee injury patient then its usually no problem getting a custom CTi covered as part of treatment under a decent insurance plan.

Agreed, my asterisks were a preemptive strike-and well worth it, much cheaper than even missing a week of work. I figure with a couple of the get off's that i've done they have paid for themselves several times over.

flybars 03-25-2011 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll start looking at the Evs, Pod, CTi, and the Asterisk braces.

flybars 04-23-2011 08:41 AM

After further research, it came down to either the CTi ots or the Pod. I met a CTi rep and tried on the CTi ots brace. The fit was way off because I have bowed legs! He told me he could heat and bend the Ossur Flex brace but couldn't garauntee the fit.
So it looks like I will need the CTi Custom. I wonder if in the meantime I would benefit from a soft material brace? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Btw, I read Dr. Mark Sander's conclusion, and in a nut shell, a good brace does indeed prevent many knee injuries.

Skidad 04-23-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybars (Post 62071)
Btw, I read Dr. Mark Sander's conclusion, and in a nut shell, a good brace does indeed prevent many knee injuries.

Got a link to that article??? Quick search I couldn't find it. Previously Dr. Mark was not really a knee brace advocate so this is interesting.

FWIW I read of a pretty unhappy guy with a POD brace. I guess he needed a few replacement pieces and the only way to get them was to buy the full blown rebuild kit for like $150. Might want to think about that or check into it before getting POD braces.

GMP 04-23-2011 05:09 PM

Sanders did a poll with an open mind about the use of a brace. His issue was if a potential broken femur due to a brace of questionable effectiveness was worth wearing it, as fixing a knee is easier and less risky than fixing a femur. I think this applies to very high energy crashes though, like in MX/SX. You see more femur breaks from big air gone bad than in the woods.

gasgasman 04-23-2011 05:32 PM

When looking at knee braces, be sure to look at the knee cap coverage while the knee is bent.
Most knee brace have a big opening that a branch will pass right through.
I looked at the POD braces, they seemed very light weight and did not offer much protection.

I have the Asterisks and the new four lace up system is a pain in the butt. The two lace system was much easier to attach to your legs.

GMP 04-23-2011 06:55 PM

Yes, I can vouch for that. In my case, the stick hit the knee cup, deflected sideways, and was caught by the frame, guiding it through my leg like a drill guide. It was jammed in so tight between the cup and frame the ER doc had a job pulling the brace off the stick. I would not let them cut it off!

A smoother frontal area would have allowed it to just slide off. I

flybars 04-24-2011 01:53 PM

Skidad, first of all GMP is right about the severe crashes/broken femur's. I don't race and mostly trail ride. I would assume I found Dr. Sander's conclusions on TT, but could have found them on knee brace advertisements referring to his conclusions or all the different web sites I visited, including two or three different online mags. U will find them if U keep looking.
I agree with gasgasman about the pod. U can't just buy the hinge part that wears out. U have to buy the whole kit. I decided on the CTi after reading that. The only downside to the CTi imo is the gap at the knee cup. U might be able to sew a thin plastic plate to the knee area inside your pants. Or file down the raised ridges on the CTi cup?

GMP 04-24-2011 09:33 PM

I think the easiest thing to do would be to attach a larger cup from a knee pad over the top of the CTi patella cup, one that covers the gaps. I know I have some old Moose guards with very large knee cups. Some good velcro would probably be adequate.