Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Revised Jetting Specs NEDW (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10459)

Jakobi 10-29-2011 05:50 PM

I'm thinking I might like a 2012 Race around Feb when they arrive.. A bit of a birthday present! Yeww!! Make sure you post up a heap of pics for us when you get the new girl.

wence 10-29-2011 09:17 PM

Will do mate...:D

gasgasman 10-30-2011 04:31 PM

Rode for the 2nd time with the NEDW needle, with today being the hardest I've rode with it.
Off closed throttle seemed a bit soft. At 1/2 throttle on up,it ran like a scalded ape.

For wet slippery conditions, this needle would be perfect.
May go with a leaner off idle needle.

Jakobi 10-30-2011 05:27 PM

I hear you GGM. What pilot and clip position did you end up settling with? I have found this needle very soft in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range. Not so much soft but just smooth. It still pulls and will lug its way up the steepest of hills. It just has no hit or snap until you get up higher into the revs.

Its definately boring, but works well when riding. You have a torquey predictable beast in the bottom end and a ball tearer up top.

gasgasman 10-30-2011 05:50 PM

40P
170M
Clip-middle
65F

I tried the clip in the #2 position, but the rpm was too slow to return to idle.

People mess with power valve springs etc. to change the throttle response.
A simple needle change is all you need.
Traction was excellent today, so the needle was too "soft" for me.

Jakobi 10-30-2011 07:02 PM

Fair call :) I am comparing your 250 to my experiences on a 300 too. So obviously there will be some big differences in off idle grunt with that alone. Keep us posted with your other updates and changes you make.

Also what was your previous specs?

GGEvo 10-31-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 73340)
People mess with power valve springs etc. to change the throttle response.
A simple needle change is all you need.

Not so sure about this. I took all free play out of actuator plate (about 4-5 mm) and test rode today. A completely different bike, no lag - was crisp and responsive all through range, unbelievable!!!!! Only change to needle (N3EJ) was dropping to clip 3. I also had a fresh top end and high comp head so all these would have helped.

I will try the NEDW next weekend to see what improvements (if any) it will make.

gasgasman 10-31-2011 07:26 AM

My experience with the NEDW needle is that is softened the power below 1/2 throttle.

Jakobi 10-31-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 73369)
My experience with the NEDW needle is that is softened the power below 1/2 throttle.

I agree. What needle are you comparing it to? N3? N1?

gasgasman 10-31-2011 08:10 PM

CEK-3.
The AirStriker II carb must be really sensitive to what needle you use.

Jakobi 10-31-2011 08:45 PM

Definately is sensitive. I find even a half clip or a single change in diameter makes a big difference.

I ride alot of technical tight 1st and 2nd gear single track so really like the mellow bottom end. If I need more grunt its only ever the flick of a finger away.

clw 11-01-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 73369)

Did you try a 42 (or turn in the air screw) with #2, a little richness off the bottom might be all you need to get some pop back and not have it ring ding.

I thought you (and I) where both using JD red.

gasgasman 11-01-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clw (Post 73446)
Did you try a 42 (or turn in the air screw) with #2, a little richness off the bottom might be all you need to get some pop back and not have it ring ding.

I thought you (and I) where both using JD red.

I did not swap the pilot jet. I did mess with the air screw some. Just sounded "dull" at the lower rpms.

I was running the JD jet kit. The red needle was jettisoned when I had the RB carb mods done.

JP4 11-12-2011 09:16 PM

I tried the NEDW. AS1 38mm, 2010 300, 42PJ, 175 main - 750 feet ASL, 15C.

I like this needle above 1/4 throttle - runs hard - straight up rips + 1/4 throttle. 0 - 1/4 throttle it's lame. In the single track I almost fell over rotating around trees waiting for some power to happen. I could bring it to life with some clutch, but I don't like to ride that.

I tried different PJs and clip positions, but this needle is just too soft off the bottom. Too bad, cause I really like it +1/4 throttle up.

Jakobi ... Can you find me a needle with that above-pilot hit like the NEDW, with some grunt off the bottom?

I'll go back to the N3EH (trying 2nd clip in the cold), in the interim.

Cheers,

Jason

rxmx 11-13-2011 11:38 AM

I tried the NEDW and found the same; I'm now running a R1372DKA (99 CR250) and like it better, but still experimenting... with the 40 pilot had to go in on the airscrew to about 3/4 turn out, will try a 42 pilot soon, and 178 main after a good plug chop.

2011 250 race, 38 carb, 40P, 1372DKA 3rd clip, 180main, sea level to 800' msl, 40-60 deg F.

skid jackson 11-15-2011 09:11 PM

11 250 6 day 36mm asII
nedw
temps 45 to 55f

the 45 in the 2 slot was too lean
45 in the 3 slot too rich
the 175 seemed a bit lean

put a 42 in and a 178, 3rd slot
This cleaned up the bottom quite nicely
and the 178 richened things up so the plug was comfortably dark but not nasty rich. just a tiny bit of spooge at the tip of the exhaust. thing is that even after it warmed up to about 55f I noticed that the 42 was a bit lean. it did this run on thing when you backed out of the throttle. It wasn't a worry because it was fine when on the gas. just bothersome.

Can't win .. 45 in the 2 slot too lean, 45 in the 3 slot too rich, 42 in the 3 slot too lean!! I'm going to put the 175 in and raise the needle to the 4 slot and see how that goes ... getting close though .... last set up was very ridable!!!

twowheels 11-16-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skid jackson (Post 74290)
11 250 6 day 36mm asII
nedw
temps 45 to 55f

the 45 in the 2 slot was too lean
45 in the 3 slot too rich

the 175 seemed a bit lean

put a 42 in and a 178, 3rd slot
This cleaned up the bottom quite nicely
and the 178 richened things up so the plug was comfortably dark but not nasty rich. just a tiny bit of spooge at the tip of the exhaust. thing is that even after it warmed up to about 55f I noticed that the 42 was a bit lean. it did this run on thing when you backed out of the throttle. It wasn't a worry because it was fine when on the gas. just bothersome.

Can't win .. 45 in the 2 slot too lean, 45 in the 3 slot too rich, 42 in the 3 slot too lean!! I'm going to put the 175 in and raise the needle to the 4 slot and see how that goes ... getting close though .... last set up was very ridable!!!

Sounds like you need to get one of those half-clip washers to slide over the needle. If 2 i too lean and 3 is too rich, 2-1/2 should be just about right ;)

MJC 11-16-2011 06:39 AM

An NECW needle is 1/2 clip position leaner than the NEDW.

GMP 11-16-2011 08:42 AM

Don't use the washers unless you machine the slide well where the needle clip sits the thickness of the washer deeper, I beleive .45mm or half a clip position. If you do not, the retainer will bottom on the washer or clip, and the needle will not float. This accelerates wear on both needle and nozzle. On my '03 I did this with good results before getting a JD kit. For any given needle in a standard clip position you run the washer under the clip. For a half clip leaner you run it over the clip. For a half clip richer you lower the clip one position and run the washer over the clip.

GMP 11-16-2011 08:57 AM

rxmx,

Those Honda needles are like standard Keihin needles with an addioional shallow taper. I tried the 1369 version in my '03 250 but it was lean even with a #6 slide.

Have you tried any of the D series needles like the DDK, DEK? In the older PWK38s at least, these put all 250s well in the ballpark, even a Husky 250 with a Keihin conversion was very close. I know the new carbs seem to run a little different but its worth a try to see where they fall, and all bikes are a little different. Lots of options in that range too including straight diameters. If you can get it close with a DDK/DEK, a JD Blue will likely polish it up nicely.

gasgasman 11-16-2011 12:03 PM

I settled on a NOZH needle for my bike.

GMP 11-16-2011 01:37 PM

Girard,

Thats with the RBD carb mod though, right? I have a few of those at home from my KTM days, as they were OEM or in the OEM kit supplied. How would you describe the required jetting after the RBD mods compared to before? I think that most conclude the new 38mm carb tends to run richer and needs leaner jetting than the old PWK AS.

Jakobi 11-16-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 74320)
Girard,

Thats with the RBD carb mod though, right? I have a few of those at home from my KTM days, as they were OEM or in the OEM kit supplied. How would you describe the required jetting after the RBD mods compared to before? I think that most conclude the new 38mm carb tends to run richer and needs leaner jetting than the old PWK AS.

Thats what I have found with the ASII. Definately needs leaner jetting. I rode my bike again yesterday with the 40 NEDJ#2 172 Main. I'm still super impressed. Its crisp off the bottom, smooth through the middle, and rips on top.

After many comparisons back and forwarth with the N3 range its much much smoother and mellower compared to n3. I agree with those who have said its soft.

Most of my riding is technical 1st and 2nd gear with poor traction. Wet red clay, wet roots, off cambers, rocks, mud and pine needles. For me the soft bottom end just keeps the bike moving forward. If traction gets better I find myself carrying more revs and staying in the meat of the power. If I need more instantly the clutch is only ever a finger away.

gasgasman 11-16-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 74320)
Girard,

That's with the RB carb.
Like Jakobi said,it does have to be jetted leaner. Guys I ride with that have KTMs, said they jet their bikes (ASII) leaner than usual.
The NOZJ may be a better needle. I didn't have one laying around to try.

Jakobi 11-16-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 74318)
I settled on a NOZH needle for my bike.

What pilot, clip, and main did you settle on? Temps elevation etc?

I must say I liked the delivery of the stock needle (n1ef) which is the same tapers as the NOZ. Think the NOZ is a half clip leaner possibly. For me with the F diameter it was too rich even at top clip, would spooge, load up, smoke, and guzzle fuel like it was going out of fashion.

Down the track I might give a NOZI/NOZJ a burl for comparisons sake. I know Bailey speaks highly of them too!

Jakobi 11-17-2011 06:31 AM

Quick vid showing of current setup. Nothing spectacular. Just playing in the back yard.

http://youtu.be/JdEHJZSsthA

skid jackson 11-27-2011 09:25 PM

11 250 6 days 36 mm asII

been messing with my set up ...
gotta say i'm liking the nedw a lot more! Temp was 38F to 45F today wet muddy melting snowy conditions. 42 pilot 4th slot, 175 main. power delivery is electric motor smooth, bike chugs through anything. It was kind of rich on the 4 slot. Probably could have run it in the 3 slot. If I were to run it this winter I think I would bump up to a 45 and 178 or even 180. I'm guessing that for the summer MJC's 40 and 172 is probably spot on! Right now I'm digging this bike alot more than I was back in August and September. :D

Now I can start messing with my chassis set up .....

twowheels 11-28-2011 12:48 AM

I'd been running the Jakobi-approved ;) NEDW-2 (a/s 2-3/4, p42, m175) myself in our recent 45-50F weather, and was loving the electric smooth bottom end on the '11 300 Six Days, but was a little less enthused about the transition to mid.

Friday was nudging 60F, and since it was a play day, I spent some time adjusting the airscrew and experimenting with pilots. Ended up with a p40, a/s 1 setting that absolutely rocks - still very manageable down low, but much quicker to transition to the mid and consequently easier to wheelie over logs. The top end makes me giggle ...

Still interested in trying the NEDJ and NOZH needles, but at this point that's simply a scientific pursuit.

Jakobi 11-28-2011 05:02 AM

Braap braap braap! I haven't gone for a ride in weeks. I'm withdrawing! Need to go and put this 40 NEDJ#2 172 through its paces!

MrBlah 11-28-2011 06:05 PM

I did not like the nedw, but the N3EJ is working well for me

50-200' 60-80 degrees 40 pilot with 180 main riding mostly in sand with a 36mm on a 250

it could be a little richer, I'm on #3 right now, it's very crisp and smooth, the cck #4 I had in was richer and it had slightly better roll on throttle

cascade_crawler 11-28-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlah (Post 75025)
I did not like the nedw, but the N3EJ is working well for me

50-200' 60-80 degrees 40 pilot with 180 main riding mostly in sand with a 36mm on a 250

it could be a little richer, I'm on #3 right now, it's very crisp and smooth, the cck #4 I had in was richer and it had slightly better roll on throttle

What did you not like?

MrBlah 11-29-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cascade_crawler (Post 75047)
What did you not like?

it was not smooth

gassergrant 12-01-2011 02:12 PM

these jet needles your talking about (NEDW) have you a part number, Ive been searching for two days with no joy, trying Suzuki parts, keihin parts but coming up with naf all.
I'm UK based and just wondered if there is any difference in part numbers etc
would like to try these needles .

many thanks grant :)

jhendr3702 12-01-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gassergrant (Post 75231)
these jet needles your talking about (NEDW) have you a part number, Ive been searching for two days with no joy, trying Suzuki parts, keihin parts but coming up with naf all.

maybe this will help...

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...K6)/parts.html

gassergrant 12-01-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendr3702 (Post 75234)

oh yes thanks for that one mate

JP4 12-01-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gassergrant (Post 75231)

The NEDW needle is from a 2007 RM250 Part Number is 13383-37FL0, described as NEEDLE, JET (NEDW).

swazi_matt 12-02-2011 10:50 PM

Anyone tried the NOZE KTM needle? Believe it turns the bike into a tractor

Jakobi 12-02-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 75306)
Anyone tried the NOZE KTM needle? Believe it turns the bike into a tractor

I believe the NOZx and N1Ex are very similar in profile. Bailey was running a NOZH in clip 1. N1EF stock needle is only a half cliip and 1 step different in diameter. I personally found the bike tractored well but would load up in the ST too quick. Smoked like a chimney!

cascade_crawler 12-03-2011 08:30 PM

My bike smoked like crazy with the N1EE needle. I liked the power but it was just too rich down low even with a 38 pilot. Happy to say that I swapped in my new NEDW needle and I'm very impressed with how much it cleaned up the smoke. Power is nice and linear but not anemic. The air screw adjustment seems to have more of an influence on how the bike runs now.
2011 250 38 carb
42 pilot
NEDW 3rd clip
178 main
200', ~45F

GGEvo 12-04-2011 12:47 AM

I tried the NEDW yesterday (comparing to the N3EJ that I was stoked with) and only kept it in for 30mins. To me it was too linear (almost 4 strokey) and lacked a bit up top. Put the N3EJ back in and it validated my thoughts, my jetting is spot on with this needle.

I had recently removed all of the free play from my PV actuator plate and really believe this has made a huge difference (Plenty off the bottom and is an arm puller at full noise!!!). Suggest to everyone that you inspect your actuator plate for any free play before digging too much into jetting.

Funny thing I am now back to stock jetting (from the shop), only adjustments are S3 head (high comp plate) and PV adjustment.