Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The RickyD Lectron Experience (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15625)

AZRickD 08-14-2013 10:04 PM

The RickyD Lectron Experience

1 Attachment(s)
Let the futzing begin... :D

Jakobi 08-14-2013 11:43 PM

Whats the verdict?

AZRickD 08-14-2013 11:57 PM

I had some mountain bike repairs to do and V-ball practice so I finally got to it an hour ago.

The first problem is the "long" Motion Pro throttle cable. It is 4.5 inches shorter than my stock GG cable. Also, the GG cable has that nice curve at the carb junction whereas the Motion Pro is straight.

AZRickD 08-14-2013 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the condemning evidence...

Stock Gasser throttle cable is about 42.5 inches (when including the curve around the elbow).

The new Motion Pro cable is about 37 inches.

Anders 08-15-2013 01:18 AM

yep, I had the same experience. When I installed mine, I ended up using my spare Venhill cable wich is a tad longer than my OEM.

To be able to use the Keihin type cable, I made a new adjuster for the Domino throttle. My new adjuster lets the cable end go deep into the throttle housing instead of ending up outside the housing.

This is nescessary as the Lectron has a longer reach from the top of the carb to the slide. The other option is, as has been discussed here previously, to cut off some of the outer shielding of the cable. I feel that my solution is a better one, as I can continue using stock cables and don't need to modify a cable every time I need a new one.

AZRickD 08-15-2013 01:48 AM

Just for giggles, I hooked the Lectron up to the Gasser's stock cable and throttle assembly.

Once the throttle pulley was screwed in, the slide was half way up.

I don't feel like hacking up the GG cable.

What is the proper length (and model number) for the Motion Pro cable I need?

AZRickD 08-15-2013 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's just past midnight here in Phoenix... :o

I installed the Lectron on the bike. Nobody told me I would have to tilt the shock back to make room for the beast.

Anyway, I left the GG cable in the carb routed as normal behind the number plate. Of course, it reaches, but with not enough slack. Note the elbow that just barely clears the tank.

The *only* way the Motion Pro cable would work is if I routed it KTM-style, on the rider-side of the bars and tucked in underneath the shroud. Maybe I'll buy one of those KTM throttle cable holder thingies. I don't know how the straight cable will function stuffed betwixt the carb and tank. Kinkage?

Okay. So, now what.... (?)

Anders 08-15-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 117676)
It's just past midnight here in Phoenix... :o

Okay. So, now what.... (?)

I thought I just told you what to do? ;)
Just grab the lathe and make a new adjuster...

singletracker 08-15-2013 03:32 AM

You guys need to call Kevin about the cable because mine came with a bend and fit perfect. They must have sent you the wrong one.

Anders 08-15-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singletracker (Post 117678)
You guys need to call Kevin about the cable because mine came with a bend and fit perfect. They must have sent you the wrong one.

Yes, you are right. But since I am living at the other side of the pond (Norway), shipping cables back and forth is just too slow and expensive to be worth while. Hence I solved it locally.

Jakobi 08-15-2013 04:09 AM

Fun times Rick. I had the same issues with cable fitment. I used a motion pro long GG cable. Pulled the end cap back on the cable, dremelled off some of the other shield, and pressed the end cap back on. A bit of a pain but not so bad. You could always contact Motion Pro yourself for a custom cable? or as you're considering, rerouting.

Luckily, that was the hardest part of the Lectron experience. After that it was all smooth sailing, swapping between a slightly rich and slightly lean condition.

AZRickD 08-15-2013 11:47 AM

Kevin called me this morning. Looks like he sent me a KTM cable. He is sending another out.

He said that the elbow-equipped cable is a 90-degree bend the GG cable is about 45-degrees and conforms nicely to the notch in the tank, perhaps a little tight for my liking.

Kevin is going to mod the cable by making the bendy part about 0.25" shorter. I think he is going to make a 45-ish degree bend as well.

StuJohnson 08-15-2013 11:56 AM

I am curious.
So is there something different from the 2011 to 2012 that the Motion Pro cable won't fit?

I have the following and it works on my 2012.
The only thing I had to do was remove the locking nuts at each end of the cable in order to get the slide all the way down in the carb. But that was an easy fix.

MP-10-3000 T3 Slidelight +3 inch cable for KTM 2 strokes
http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/mot...m#Larger_Image

AZRickD 08-15-2013 02:01 PM

I think its the wrong cable. For a KTM. Too short and no elbow.

StuJohnson 08-15-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 117699)
I think its the wrong cable. For a KTM. Too short and no elbow.

KTM cables work on GasGas. Both bikes use the Domino throttle assembly.
I have the the exact cable per the link above on my 2012 300 (with the Lectron) and it does not have an elbow. It has a slight bend at the tank but no issues with mine. Your 2011 tank must be a lot closer to the carb then my 2012.

Also make sure that once you have your nice new Lectron installed that is is rotated at the right angle so that the rear spring does not hit it.....on mine if one was not paying attention to this it would not be good.

AZRickD 08-15-2013 03:28 PM

I'll check the model number, but whichever one I received is five inches shorter.

troffer88 08-15-2013 04:43 PM

The correct one is about 3" longer

AZRickD 08-15-2013 05:05 PM

I could see that working, especially with the elbow bend.

AZRickD 08-22-2013 07:56 AM

The new elbow cable (and free adjuster nublet) arrived yesterday evening.

I was torn between getting the Lectron all fitted or taking advantage of the almost sub-100F evening temps for a mountainbike ride. We've been riding at 7pm every Wednesday with the temps still hovering close to 110F. I decided to pedal for 16-miles of trail and road.

I'll get at it this evening.

AZRickD 08-22-2013 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alrighty. Having recovered from yesterday's 100-degree night mountain bike ride, I set to bolt the bike back together tonight.

Since I was promised a bolt-on, ready-to-go carb, I decided to *not* read the directions and just bolt it on and kick.

I took the new elbowie throttle cable out of the package and found it to be really freakin' long. It came with a threaded cap nut thingy (invoice said it was custom for the GG) that was maybe 1mm longer than the one already in the Lectron. Not knowing why, I dutifully swapped them out. I hooked it all up with the the carb and threaded it through to the throttle. Perfect, much to my surprise.

The Lectron's fuel inlet is at a different angle, so the fuel line wouldn't reach quite far enough for a secure clamping. So, I took the fuel line off my old GG tank and put it together (with double springs, even). A little long right now, but it would do for the evening's short test.

Once together, I took the bike off the stand and turned on the petcock. The fuel filled the clear bowl and stopped between the level lines, as if by magic. As I rolled the bike off into the dark driveway it occurred to me that I had recently replaced my headlight with the Honda racing number plate. This would be an interesting ride by dim street light should the Lectron decide to let the Gasser fire up.

I pulled the semi-remote choke knob and gave it a couple of pre-kicks (that's what I would do with the Keihin, anyway -- couldn't hurt). Then I kicked in earnest a couple times. Nada. I wondered what would happen if I cracked the throttle a bit? Vroom. Heh. It was running. I turned the idle screw in a quarter turn to keep it from stalling.

I let it warm up for a scant minute and decided to roll before someone called the cops. Not much of a test, but off-idle was fine -- the metering rod, at 49mm, must be pretty close to where it is supposed to be.

I putt-putted around the neighborhood with several throttle blips for giggles and then took it out to the main street to see how it ran on top. I ran it through the gears and noted some open-throttle sputter at WOT. With the second pass there was less. Kind of like when I was one main jet too rich in Flagstaff. Actually, not that bad. I'll work on adjusting the Power Jet later (like, maybe after I read the directions).

I re-entered the neighborhood and into my garage. I hopped off the bike with the motor running happily and looked behind me. No smoke. Hmmmm.

And with that, I hit the kill switch and headed inside. More tuning talk later.

AZRickD 08-23-2013 09:09 AM

I can't find the Lectron manual in my cluttered garage, so I've printed this one -

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/docs/Tuning_Instr.pdf

Any others I need?

Rick 08-23-2013 11:15 AM

I am so.....on the fence with this carb stuff....either I get a new PWK or a Lectron for my 200:confused:
My old PWK is wore out...Hmmmm, might sent it to RB Designs for a overhaul:eek:

Will be looking forward to your ride report...no need to get in a hurry.

AZRickD 08-23-2013 04:06 PM

I did some study... And then just went for it.

AZRickD 08-23-2013 09:42 PM

I took the bike out for another, slightly longer, spin. I let the bike warm up to temp this time. Still a bit of sputter on top. Rich, I suspected.

I turned the PowerJet screw in 3/4 turn clock-wise and did another speed run. No sputter.

Looks like I'm done with tuning.

I suppose I could play with the metering rod some, but I'm not inclined to at this point. I still have to tweak the Rekluse Core/EXP to my liking.

desertgasser300 08-23-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 118053)
I took the bike out for another, slightly longer, spin. I let the bike warm up to temp this time. Still a bit of sputter on top. Rich, I suspected.

I turned the PowerJet screw in 3/4 turn clock-wise and did another speed run. No sputter.

Looks like I'm done with tuning.

I suppose I could play with the metering rod some, but I'm not inclined to at this point. I still have to tweak the Rekluse Core/EXP to my liking.

Ready for another day in Flag to do some real world testing? Still have to get you up rocky moto? I talked to Warren and got some directions to the new trails and the airport single track.

AZRickD 08-23-2013 10:44 PM

Maybe Sunday ?

desertgasser300 08-23-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 118055)
Maybe Sunday ?

Oh man, Can't do this Sunday. Are girls are getting baptized in grandmas pool. :D:)

AZRickD 08-24-2013 12:04 AM

I might spend a couple hours at the Mile Markers in the late morning tomorrow after I open up the Rekluse and fiddle one more time.

AZRickD 08-24-2013 12:55 PM

I did some street riding again (mostly to do some final Rekluse tuning with three heavier gold springs).

The only thing I did with the Lectron was to adjust the throttle cable slack.

I will have to do a plug chop one of these days to convince myself that it is running in where it needs to be. I like to jet my bikes a little rich. My current setting is probably just fine, but... gotta check.

The Gasser with the Lectron is a different animal. Taking it from the 38mm Keihin to the 36mm bore, alone, would make a difference. There is a lot of useable torque from bottom to mid that wasn't there before. It will suit my riding style. The stock 250's lack of bottom was the only reason I considered, but ultimately rejected, getting a 300. I don't think I'll have issues anymore, especially with a 12T counter-sprocket.

More on the Lectron -- the only notable glitch is that it likes to be cold-started with the throttle cracked. When warm, it'll light, but needs a bit of throttle to keep it going. I could fix this all with the idle screw, but that starts interplay with dragging the Rekluse at idle that I'm trying to minimize. If the Rekluse wasn't involved I'd be happy with the idle setting. I'll play more.

With the Lectron there is no longer that Keihin off-idle bog that persisted despite going down to a 38 Pjet. And the Lectron behaved well off-idle even when it wasn't completely warmed up. On the street I could go from idle to a raising the tire in wheelie mode with a blip of the throttle in about three feet. On the trail it would likely turn into wheel spin. :D Perhaps I should credit the stiffer Rekluse springs?

I did several roll-ons from stopped to high-rev in different single gears and through the gears. As noted, the Keihin jetting wasn't near perfect, try as I might. And the AS2 had the feeling of different circuits coming on. Not hits, really, but it was a character change as the bike went through the speed range. My RB-modded AS1 was much, much better than this stock AS2.

Lectron Through the Rev Range -- Power comes on gradually from idle to WOT. There was no hit. There *might* have been one nano-second of noticeable change in the mid-throttle but I'm not sure. Maybe this is where the metering rod's effect minimized and the PowerJet started to show itself. The only reason I would be aware of this was the complete absence of peculiarities elsewhere.

I would say that the 36mm Lectron revs out just a titch more than the 38mm AS2. It felt like the AS2 should've had more in it, and fixable with jetting, or a needle. But it eluded me in the Keihin. The Lectron is not elusive in that regard.

So, I'm done futzing with the Lectron and done futzing with the Rekluse. About the only thing I have left to do is relocate the map switch.

Time to ride.

StuJohnson 08-24-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 118016)
I can't find the Lectron manual in my cluttered garage, so I've printed this one -

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/docs/Tuning_Instr.pdf

Any others I need?

A little late to your question...
No - that is the one that came with my Lectron.

In regards to reading your posts about your recent test rides. Sounds good. I so far have been very impressed with my 38mm Lectron. I can definitely tell a difference in how the bike runs and responds to my needs immediately.

So when I got mine the metering rod was 51.27mm long. I have leaned out since and now at 51.83mm.
What length did yours get shipped to you?

Also can you please post a pick of the new throttle cable you recently installed? Would like to see the elbow / fitting at carb.

As for the fuel inlet -- This is a bad design. I told Kelly they need an elbow directly at the inlet and it sure would then make for a nice clean connection to the fuel line.

AZRickD 08-24-2013 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I mentioned it earlier, but I measured my metering rod at 49mm out of the box. This is with the MotoSportz custom grind that Lectron now provides.

The fuel inlet isn't necessarily a bad design, it just requires and extra half-inch of fuel line.

AZRickD 08-25-2013 04:24 PM

We did 33 miles today in epic post - rain conditions. NW Phoenix, in an area near Lake Pleasant we call "The Mile Markers." I was riding with A and B racers and two C - sandbaggers. Two KTM 2Ts, a KTM520, YZ450, and even a Husky 300 with a Keihin carb instead of the balky Mikuni.

Started second kick cold on choke. Usually started fist kick when warm on the trail.

The Lectron performed without a flaw weather in Rain mode or Sun Mode. Due to the technical aspect of these trails, I kept it in Rain 90% of the time. Folks were interested in the new hardware. I asked them to bring a tow rope just in case. ;)

Very technical rock riding down washes, single track a bit of jeep trail, and several hill climbs, a few of which made me glad to have the Rekluse Core/EXP.

Much of this was 1st gear stuff. Most would be in 2nd, but I tend to stay low so I'm not surprised by the blind turn to a hill climb. Keep in mind that I am also running a 12T counter sprocket.

So, after filling the tank with 91 Octane (that's our Premium in AZ) at 50:1, we arrived back at the trucks with my tank down to about an inch above the 3-Liter mark.

Let's say I used 9.5L - 3.2L = 6.3 L (or 1.66 gal).

That's 33/1.66 = 19.9 MPG.

AZRickD 09-02-2013 10:59 PM

I did a bit of a torture test this morning out at the technical Sycamore trails system NE of Fountain Hills Arizona.

Out at sunrise but temps quickly rose to 95F. And humid.

The bike ran well as usual, but I was looking forward to an area which would give me a test I had been missing.

To link a few of the trails it is necessary to go up some sand washes composed of deep decomposed granite. To make it more challenging, three of these sand washes incorporate a climbing grade on the order of 6%.

Climbing up these washes had off-idle response good, and upper revs good, but there was a bit of a mid-throttle/mid-rev flat spot. After the rev runs the bike also exhibited a bit of a staccato idle for a few seconds. I'm figuring both are caused by an on-the-edge lean condition.

Assuming this is the case, what is the ballpark on the number of turns in on the MotoSportz metering rod (or, how many decimals of a millimeter from my factory-set 49mm)?

Thanks,
Rick

Jakobi 09-03-2013 01:35 AM

Go a 1/4 turn richer and try again.

Dave from TSP also did some Dyno runs comnparing the MS-3 to the 3-1 in his TE250.

Lectron MS-3 needle runs very flat through the mid and basically feels like a direct copy of a PWK? also it showed no gains on the dyno, while the 3-1 showed ~8% gains right through the mid.

AZRickD 09-03-2013 10:20 AM

Well, crapola. I'll give Kevin a call. I think I need to give the stock 3-1 rod a try.

troffer88 09-03-2013 11:59 AM

I run the 3-1 in my 250 . I run the ms-3 in my Ktm 200 and it is borderline lean in the mid range but runs great in my Husky 165

AZRickD 09-03-2013 12:08 PM

It would've been nice to know this -- a few weeks ago.

troffer88 09-03-2013 01:15 PM

I don't sell them , what works for me doesn't mean it will work for you

troffer88 09-03-2013 01:29 PM

I would also make sure you have the long PJ tube , the bigger bikes don't like the short one , I have an extra 3-1 xl rod if you want to try it .

AZRickD 09-03-2013 01:39 PM

Thanks for the offer. Let me try to get ahold of Kevin at Lectron first. No answer yet.

I have the standard length PowerJet tube.

I have the 36mm Lectron so I don't know which rod would fit, or what the initial length should be. Kevin set mine at 49mm which is over 2mm shorter than others here.