Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   NorthEast United States (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   National Dual Sport "Hammer Run" (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8120)

TNT Cycle 10-28-2010 08:40 PM

National Dual Sport "Hammer Run"

Tri-County Sportsmen Motorcycle Club, KTM National Dual Sport & BMW National Adventure Series event November 6&7 2010, Port Elizabeth, NJ. One of the best Dual Sport events in the country! Street Legal bikes, Adventure/big bike friendly, great mix of trail, great food, giveaways, Sat. night band, and great times.

event preview video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TFFN39zIs

GMP 10-29-2010 05:23 AM

I'll be there for one day. Which is the better day with more trail? Last year I heard Sunday. Cruiser will be there too. We should have a good crew to tear it up! Look me up, silver Tundra Crewmax wih trailer.

Cruiser 10-29-2010 09:33 AM

I will be getting there friday later afternoon to set up my camper and break open a beer.. Last year saturday was longer, but this year both days are about 80-85 ground miles? 30 miles the farthest to a gas stop I believe? I was a blast last year and it was a swamp.. this year no where near that much moisture,, should be great trails!!

GMP 10-29-2010 10:28 AM

Craig gets good room deals so we will rough it in the Holiday Inn, I don't feel like dragging my camper down and then three bikes and gear is a problem. I don't care so much about length as quality. They said last year, Sunday had some Greenbrier Enduro sections toward the end of the day. I just don't want to ride a lot asphalt and sand roads with BMW GSs all day. Hoping its more of a trail ride like Hancock.

TNT Cycle 10-29-2010 04:41 PM

hammer run

Both days will be really similar this year as far as amount of trail and milage is cut down to make both days more enjoyable for everyone...Sat. night has more things going on...give aways, band, etc. The section in the video that I work on is on Sunday...I would come Sat. night early hangout relaxe enjoy the festivaties and ride Sunday.

Thanks guys for the interest.

Rick

GMP 10-29-2010 06:42 PM

Rick,

That sounds like a plan, thanks.

GMP 11-08-2010 08:47 AM

What an awesome day in the woods! A lot of real nice medium to fast flowing trail, some really fast, with minimal road. Like a fast enduro with no checks. Great time I'll be back next year.

tomatoe333 11-08-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 51051)
What an awesome day in the woods! A lot of real nice medium to fast flowing trail, some really fast, with minimal road. Like a fast enduro with no checks. Great time I'll be back next year.

Were you on the bike with the gasgasrider.org sticker on your front fender? Saw the bike at the rider's meeting on Sunday, didn't get a chance to find you.

I was on my yellow '99.

http://www.bmwxplor.com/system/asset...13_gallery.JPG

I rode both days, and boy are my arms, legs, and everywhere else feeling it today!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I rode with a guy from Rockaway on an 02 XC250 on Sunday. He saw the gasgasrider.org sticker too, and I told him about the website.

Cruiser 11-08-2010 08:48 PM

I saw lots of GG's in the woods,, got out after GMP and played catchup all day,, was apparently 5 minutes behind.. Saw a few GG bikes a 250(03?) and a 200 at a fire cut and was told I was only a few minutes behind.. Then I got in the mix with Laferty's crew,, got passed over and over.. man Mikey is fast! May be back on a GasGas by next season if all goes well.. Hammer run is a great event and is already scheduled for the first weekend in Nov next year.. Plan on it next year.. and camping is a must,, bonfire, band and good food.. great weekend put on by a great club..

GMP 11-08-2010 08:57 PM

Yes that was me, and I think I saw you a few times. In fact you may have been talking to my nephew on the '01 GasGas XC125 before the start Sunday in the field. That was a great ride, I haven't ridden that fast for that long in awhile. We were just pushing each other for miles, it was just one of those days where it all clicked.

My buddy with the KTM300 is from Rockaway. Do you guys ride up my way?

Edit: We wound up near the start gate after the meeting and beat the crowd. I figured I'd see you Steve after I had those two delays with ignition problems. Once I had the bike figured out I figured I'd just crank it up until I caught up to someone I know. Found my group and we just pinned it all afternoon, got back about 3:15.

tomatoe333 11-10-2010 09:39 PM

I'm not normally down that way, and I ended up riding with the XC250 guy mostly because I was about the same speed as his friends. :D

Most of the guys I know up here are a lot faster than I am, so the folks I knew at the ride, I let them ride their pace. I'm still recovering from a broken thumb at Hancock in August, so I started out both days taking it easy, and picked up the pace as the day went on.

GMP, I did talk to your nephew in the field before the start. I think mine was the only 200 there, so if you saw a 200 it was me. Mike Lafferty passed me just before that firecut. He cut through the brush and came out in front of me with the bike in the air, sideways, already leaned over to take the next turn. :eek:

I did bash a tree on Sunday and break off the mountings for the left side radiator shroud. I guess it's time to order a new set.:(

GMP 11-11-2010 08:10 AM

Its good riding with slightly faster guys, thats how you get faster. The key is knowing just how much to push the envelope and when to stop before bad things happen.:eek: Do you know Bill from CATRA? He is a member here(woodsrider) but has been quiet lately.

Yes, you were at the truck in the AM with the 200, original '99 graphics right? I remembered that.

tomatoe333 11-12-2010 09:25 AM

The key there is _slightly_ faster. :eek: Too much faster, and I just start to do stupid things and hurt myself.

Yup, 99 with the original graphics. I'm not sure if the graphics are still available, but I need to replace both radiator shrouds now. Calling GoFasters this afternoon.

I do know Bill (Woodsrider), and it's his fault that I'm a CATRA member, and that I ride a GasGas. He recently moved to the Seattle area with his family to take care of his mother and follow a job opportunity. I miss chasing him on the trails.

Cruiser 11-12-2010 03:33 PM

I counted three yellow, three red and a black gasgas. Size may be color related but not always. But the most GG bikes I have seen at one event in a while. Hopefully next year I'll be back on a smoker. Got all winter to mess with the 97 and decide if I want a new 250 or 300 to play with.

eff 11-12-2010 03:34 PM

Maybe I should try to get down there new year.

GMP 11-12-2010 07:22 PM

Ed,

This was great, so glad I went. I had done another South Jersey DS ride a few years back and it was lame, so originally I wasn't too enthused. My brother and buddy went to the Hammer two years ago when I was hurt and loved it. Its like a fast flowing enduro with no checks, what you would expect a serious club to put together. All the good fun stuff about South Jersey with just a taste of the tight and whoops every now and then. Forget the big heavy 4 stroke DS bikes your DE250 is the perfect bike for this. The pinelands are a lot nicer in Nov than summer too. Mark it down, next year I'll go both days and bring my camper.

Cruiser 11-12-2010 09:27 PM

Told you Glenn!

eff 11-12-2010 09:50 PM

Sounds great. Last weekend I did the KPTR A1A Turkey Run in Wrentham MA. Another great ride, and also like a checkless enduro.

I am seriously thinking of coming down next year. With my sister-i-law in the area, makes an easy sell to bring the family.

Cruiser 11-13-2010 06:26 AM

It is simply the most fun trails jersey has to offer,, there is sand but most of the area has this stuff on the ground,, some call it loam or dirt. I've sean traces of this between our mud puddles and between our rocks up here.. but no where near the abundance of what they have down there.. Gas stops seam to be about 30 mile intervals so the average 2-2.5 g tank doesnt have issue. I never hit reserve and saturday I missed the first gas stop due to playing catch up as I had a start issue at the gate.. My kill switch stuck down on my Baja design t/s switch. Once started I went out and skipped a couple hero's to get back with a group I knew.. Rode behind Laferty a bit on saturday, He was tooling around with his girl on the back of his husy,, and We saw a bald eagle up close.. Check out the hammer run thread over on advrider.. its like 8-9 pages now..

TNT Cycle 11-13-2010 09:41 AM

hammer run

Glad everyone had a great time...the club works really hard on this event and it is quickly becoming our premier event.

Mark it down it will be a great time. We had 624 total riders this year and we our always looking to make the event better and more people!

I saw several Gassers also I have a black 2010 300 and a guy in our club has a 2002 yellow 200.

If you guys want to see anything different next year let me know and we will see what we can do...

cheers,

Rick

GMP 11-14-2010 06:57 PM

What else I noticed that was a class act is there was always a club member(s) in or near a trail section. Not that you are expected to need them but it was nice in case of a problem. The arrowing was also great, in fact the best of any DS I've been to.

Leave the pigs, beasts, and other overweight DS bikes home and bring the race bike, because thats what you will have the most fun on. I carried two small lab type plastic bottles of oil, and used exactly 1.5 gal at each stop. Never hit reserve at a fast pace, so no problem at all.

tomatoe333 11-17-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNT Cycle (Post 51320)

If you guys want to see anything different next year let me know and we will see what we can do...

Don't change a thing. :D

Okay, I take that back. Make more pulled pork sammiches on Sunday. They were all out by the time I got back. The meatball was good too, though! :)