Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2014 EC300 Model and changes (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16671)

Mark Berg - CPD 01-30-2014 05:24 PM

2014 EC300 Model and changes

1 Attachment(s)
Opened up the crate last week on our 2014 and started to write the list of changes over the last couple of years to the bike! I am sure the thread was started before, but here is a refresher! GasGas has had some struggles in 2012, the 13 bike was an improvement, and the 14 hits it!

Some key things over the competition for the same price if not lower?.(i am sure i missed a few)

AXP Skid plate comes stock
FMF Stealth spark arrestor
48mm marzocchi forks
Reiger shock (this is a very nice shock with long durability and a solid history)
Polished hubs
Excel Rims
Galfer Wave rotors front n rear
Nissan brakes
New engine cases (lighter, smaller)
New cylinder (consistent performance)
New cylinder head
New water pump housing for better cooling (GasGas has always been a very cool running bike)
Vforce 4 reed system (upgrade from vforce 3)

Many smaller items as well

Bigger oil sight glass
New rear brake pedal with bearing system, works better
Front axle pull
New outer clutch cover (better oil flow)
Side plates have access to exhaust
Double wall handlebar (renthal copy)
New footpeg design with removable brackets

Coop 01-30-2014 05:35 PM

Very nice.

john r b 01-30-2014 06:36 PM

Mark, Thank you for posting the photos. Any word about the 200's?
Were can I get one of those GG floor mats?

Jakobi 01-30-2014 06:45 PM

Love the extra hole in the side panel to access the exhaust mounts!

Sounds like a good list of revisions. No doubt the rags will still find something to bag though. Like the pink shock :p

I'm interested to see/hear what the changes to the head have been. Hopefully they've taken advantage of the improved tolerances in the cylinders and will be shipping with less head to piston angles and a tighter squish band.

JP4 01-30-2014 08:36 PM

Thanks for the report. Not much 'Real' info on the 2014's as of yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 127408)
Love the extra hole in the side panel to access the exhaust mounts!

Ditto on that! No access = huge PIA for no reason, but what seems like an oversight by the designers. It was the first thing I noticed on the early pics.

Early reports would suggest that the 2014 GGs have turned the corner.

I sure would like to see/hear about the fit and finish of the 14's. As much as I might not like aspects of the orange bikes, they are well put together. What I've seen of the Sherco's and Beta's recently has also been a step above the Gassers in this regard.

I'm due for a new ride in 2015. It will most likely be a GG, but definitely so if the fit and finish matches the Euro competition.

Beta Steve 01-30-2014 08:39 PM

That is a sweet looking bike!

Bandit9 01-30-2014 10:34 PM

They sure know how to make a visually appealing bike. Even with the ugly shock.

This is just torturing me.

redrider 01-30-2014 11:19 PM

Anyone know when/where the first Demos for these bikes will be?

liv2day 01-31-2014 11:17 AM

In my best Fat Bastard typing voice (lol):

Dead Seeeexy

I'm really hoping to convert my wife to a 2T (she's on a KTM 250 4T right now). I don't want to get banished or flamed, but I think an ideal bike (even for me) is the KTM 250R Freeride, though who knows if we'll ever see it in the states.

That said, I think the seat height, planted feeling, and overall package of my EC200 is the perfect trail bike and I look forward to seeing what's what when it's time to pass this one down.

apa 02-05-2014 08:13 AM

Are the radiator hoses still the same?

Moto7man 02-05-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john r b (Post 127405)
Mark, Thank you for posting the photos. Any word about the 200's?
Were can I get one of those GG floor mats?

Ditto on the GG floor mats and stand. Where can I get a GG mat and stand?

braddenning 02-05-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFasters (Post 127400)
Opened up the crate last week on our 2014 and started to write the list of changes over the last couple of years to the bike! I am sure the thread was started before, but here is a refresher! GasGas has had some struggles in 2012, the 13 bike was an improvement, and the 14 hits it!

Some key things over the competition for the same price if not lower?.(i am sure i missed a few)

AXP Skid plate comes stock
FMF Stealth spark arrestor
48mm marzocchi forks
Reiger shock (this is a very nice shock with long durability and a solid history)
Polished hubs
Excel Rims
Galfer Wave rotors front n rear
Nissan brakes
New engine cases (lighter, smaller)
New cylinder (consistent performance)
New cylinder head
New water pump housing for better cooling (GasGas has always been a very cool running bike)
Vforce 4 reed system (upgrade from vforce 3)

Many smaller items as well

Bigger oil sight glass
New rear brake pedal with bearing system, works better
Front axle pull
New outer clutch cover (better oil flow)
Side plates have access to exhaust
Double wall handlebar (renthal copy)
New footpeg design with removable brackets

Nice, fill er up n roll it over the scales

gasser 02-05-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braddenning (Post 127697)
Nice, fill er up n roll it over the scales

To heck with the scales - roll it over some rocks, roots, and logs.

CombatYoga 02-05-2014 04:43 PM

That is a gorgeous bike Mark. I am new to the forum and joined because I want a 300cc 2-stroke for Hare Scrambles racing. This 2014 GasGas won't let go of me. I'd be very interested to hear your review of the bike.

Mark Berg - CPD 02-05-2014 05:41 PM

Review and answers

We won't have our own review until the week of the National in SC. We have about a foot of snow and negative temps are still in our forecast for good ole Minnesota don't ya know? For sure...:) But I can tell you from sitting on the bike in our shop that I love the red dot pro grips, soft yet very tacky!

Radiator hoses and layout appear to be the same, no changes.

I have 5 bike mats currently in stock #PU030038013 and the retail is $179.95 for the OEM Mat

We will have Matrix products for GasGas soon available as well, rugs, matts, bike stands, and logo'd tie downs. I have called a lot of companies and Matrix seemed the most eager and willing for smaller units. Look for a picture of that product and pricing within the next 2 weeks!

Mark Berg - CPD 02-05-2014 05:49 PM

weight

Our shipping scale doesn't go above 200 pounds so I am looking in the area for someone with a scale. When I do, I will weight the 14 300 versus our 13 and let you know.

I've never been worried about the weight of a GG, its always been a little heavier than the competition but on the trail, it doesn't seem noticeable?? In fact I think it helps its front end turning and has made the brand a reliable dirt bike for years. In my opinion...and everyone has one and then some!:rolleyes:

Clay 02-06-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFasters (Post 127705)
Our shipping scale doesn't go above 200 pounds so I am looking in the area for someone with a scale. When I do, I will weight the 14 300 versus our 13 and let you know.

I've never been worried about the weight of a GG, its always been a little heavier than the competition but on the trail, it doesn't seem noticeable?? In fact I think it helps its front end turning and has made the brand a reliable dirt bike for years. In my opinion...and everyone has one and then some!:rolleyes:

A long time ago I was talking to a bicycle dealer about the difference in weight between a rigid mountain bike and a full suspension bike. I mentioned that I preferred a rigid bike because full suspension mountain bikes weighed too much. The bike dealer looked at my beer gut but didn't say anything. I started laughing and he knew he'd been caught and got embarrassed. I told him I wasn't offended....I knew I was carrying the weight of a mountain bicycle around my waist!

Jiikoo811 02-11-2014 07:13 AM

Any information or experience from new 2014 crankshaft? It should reduce vibes vs. older ones.

Sent from Razr MAXX

3beejay3 02-11-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

I often switch back and forth with some of my buddies that ride KTMs. For me, the KTMs do seem more nimble and feel a touch lighter riding, but the GG definitely has a much more planted feel and rides like it's on a rail. The GG for me also has a better stock ergo setup, plus it's a really good looking bike and gets tons of thumbs up on the highway heading to/from the trails. The stock power delivery on a GG250 es is more manageable for me as well. Either way I can ride either bike, but still prefer my GG. I can probably ride a bit quicker on KTMs for short periods of time, but the GG is a better all day bike.
It all comes down to personal preference and perhaps the type of terrain/trail........

swazi_matt 02-11-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

put the front wheel on the scale, then the rear and add the two together

Clay 02-12-2014 09:07 AM

On Friday and Saturday Chilly White from Enduro 360, Kevin Novello from Trail Rider and Zach Huberty from Innovation Offroad will be here in TN to test the 2014 GG 300 Race and Sherco 300 4T and 2T. You should be able to read Chilly and Zach's impression on them next week since they both have website based media and Kevin's later in TR mag.

bkwdc 02-12-2014 09:23 AM

Nice job Mr. Stuckey.

Fred1956 02-12-2014 10:23 AM

Yay! I can't wait

iamovru 02-12-2014 11:29 AM

Thats Great! Those guys are true trail riders, should be good. Hope it is;)

hamilton 02-12-2014 05:13 PM

I'll be very interested in Zacks impression of the bikes. I have raced against him for some years. Put him on a 200 also if possible, that's what he races.

coopernicus 02-13-2014 08:21 PM

For those that did not see my results from the the 2014 300 E-start/2011 300 6-Days (non E-start) weigh in you can refer to the posting below from last December. I hope to make some easy changes to drop the weight closer to the 2011 even with the E-start (TuBliss and Pirellis will get the weight down a good bit along with a lighter battery). I do notice the fit and finish to be very good, and the airbox seems better than the 2011 style but I do have one edge to seal up if I decide to ride "Jakobi Style" through some stream crossings. In person, I like the looks of the '14 better than the '12/'13 and as much as the 2011 6-Days. On screen, I like the older models better...Go Figure!! I really like the "old" chassis with 48mm forks but the newer chassis style feels better for me since I am about 74 inches (1.83m) tall. So much for the love, here are the downers: The Enduro Engineering kickstand spring relocator probably won't work (crap!), I have what looks like a rubber strap to secure the kickstand when it's up but it seems like it's too small, I'm not crazy about the seat but I don't like any seats (it's no better or worse than the '07-'11 seats I have ridden on), and I don't care for crossbars on my handlebars. Nothing major so far...Overall, I really like this '14 after an afternoon of fitting air filters, bouncing up and down, and seeing the bike in more depth. Someday the weather will change and I will ride it...Some day!

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...t=16085&page=9

Eric

Clay 02-15-2014 08:35 PM

Chilly really liked the 2014 GG 300. I'll let him explain on his site.

iamovru 02-15-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 128265)
Chilly really liked the 2014 GG 300. I'll let him explain on his site.

How do I get to his site?

Rick 02-15-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamovru (Post 128266)
How do I get to his site?

http://www.enduro360.com/