Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Western United States (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Desert 100 4/6-7 Who's going? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14553)

adv rider 03-22-2013 10:24 PM

Desert 100 4/6-7 Who's going?

I am going to Odessa for the 100 in a couple weeks. How many other Gasser's are going?

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

It is going to be a good trip out- First one w/ my bike on the back of my VW van, And first one on a 2 stroke. :)

pscook 03-22-2013 10:39 PM

I'll be there. Dragging along a couple of diesel riders (DRZ and WR400, plus a KTM 250F). First time over for me, probably more miles in one day than I have ridden the last 12 months. Stoked.

Ninja edit- Here's my attempt to get some nutrition advice for the D100. I got some good stuff, but I think that my plan will be a bit different than the Paleo stuff.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14429

adv rider 03-23-2013 02:07 AM

D 100

That's a good idea for the nutrition.. but for me I rode for 1.2hrs last weekendbefore that in aug. Not the best idea, but I can't miss it.

It is a lot of fun, just to be there. I am doing the ironman, and possibly racing sunday also.
I will probably be the only person with a Westfalia and a gasgas on the bumper rack.

bowhunter007 03-23-2013 04:31 AM

I'll be there. Leaving Friday, afterwork...12:30 pm. Taking the son-in-law. I have to ride a rice grinder...1 GG needs an engine rebuild. The other needs a suspension redo for my +sized manform. I live close to LTR so the suspenders won't spend any time, in the mail:D D100, here I come!

REVERUP 03-23-2013 12:18 PM

I'm not going to make it to the Dez for the first time in quit while.

Not because I cant, because I'm not prepared. You guys probably know this is the type of race you must be focused and prepared for if your going to go for the win. I'm not.

The penalty for not being focused there could be your last, or be your last on a bike.

I haven't been on my bike since the 24 hour of last October cause I couldn't afford it. Been out of work since November.

Things have changed for me recently, landing a good job and going back to work this week. I am actually putting on my freshly overhauled LTR sponsored suspension back on the 300 today. I'm really looking forward to getting back to my weekly riding, then racing as soon as I get back up to speed.

You guys have fun in the sun ride smart and put Gas Gas up on the results page.

Roscoe

P.S. I haven't forgot about the annual Gas Gas riders club ride I host. I will be looking over the race schedule and mine to see the options I have to hold it. Keep an eye out over the next couple days for it in this Western U.S. section.

firffighter 03-23-2013 06:40 PM

Last time I raced the D-100 was in '09. What an awesome event!

My .02 if it is your 1st time or you are not a desert guy is to pace yourself. There will be plenty of guys who start off with their hair on fire only to bonk, crash or run out of fuel. Pace yourself and you will pass 1/2 the field by mile 30. Make sure you have enough fuel for you and the bike and be prepared for possible flats. Run your tire psi a little higher than normal to prevent a flat on the high speed terrain.

Oh yeah, prep your hands! Snug gloves with baby powder or palm savers is key.

Oh yeah, when you pit at mile 50, have a snack ready, change googles and take a minute to wipe off your face with a cool damp towel.

Oh yeah, have fun and be safe!

bowhunter007 03-23-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firffighter (Post 107159)
Pace yourself and you will pass 1/2 the field by mile 30.

Exactly what I was told by a D100 regular. I got into my notebook, and went through dates of pics & vids...I've pushed your old bike right to 100 hrs since I got it. She's stripped down, ready for an engine overhaul & updated bodywork. My other GG is almost ready to go again. I don't like only having 1 machine.

adv rider 03-24-2013 10:13 PM

D100

I have been there a few other times. And just go to have fun, usually do 3 laps of the poker run course. Have not done the race, but maybe this year. A friend that is going want's to enter race, so maybe.

I Would have no intention of winning- it wouldn't be possible for me anyway. just to say I raced it would be good for me.

Hopefull I will be there by 2p Friday, Anywhere you go in a VW van takes longer.

adv rider 03-26-2013 02:12 AM

d100

well my buddy backed out today. I guess its just me, almost there

flybars 03-26-2013 09:48 AM

Good to hear you're back to work Roscoe!

Bryan 03-26-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REVERUP (Post 107142)
I'm not going to make it to the Dez for the first time in quit while.

Not because I cant, because I'm not prepared. You guys probably know this is the type of race you must be focused and prepared for if your going to go for the win. I'm not.

The penalty for not being focused there could be your last, or be your last on a bike.

I haven't been on my bike since the 24 hour of last October cause I couldn't afford it. Been out of work since November.

Things have changed for me recently, landing a good job and going back to work this week. I am actually putting on my freshly overhauled LTR sponsored suspension back on the 300 today. I'm really looking forward to getting back to my weekly riding, then racing as soon as I get back up to speed.

You guys have fun in the sun ride smart and put Gas Gas up on the results page.

Roscoe

P.S. I haven't forgot about the annual Gas Gas riders club ride I host. I will be looking over the race schedule and mine to see the options I have to hold it. Keep an eye out over the next couple days for it in this Western U.S. section.

Roscoe - Congrats on the new job!

REVERUP 03-26-2013 07:53 PM

Thanks guys.
Yep it feels real good to be able to continue my life's plan and feed that dirt bike addiction.

By the way my life's plan is to ride em till I can't anymore. :)

flybars 03-27-2013 02:01 AM

Me too. Last year in Feb. we made it down to the Mojave Desert and rode twice a day for a week. My knee's have been painful since. I'll find a way around that. I can't get enough of single track and exploring.

waycrazy 03-27-2013 10:20 AM

Hey Roscoe glad to see that things are back up and running! When you are going over your schedule,don't forget to work in a weekend for the Little Naches.

StuJohnson 03-27-2013 05:26 PM

I will be there and 7 others.
Look for Red GMC Truck pulling a 25ft AirStream and of course the GG 300.

bowhunter007 03-27-2013 08:39 PM

I'm officially out...My commuter truck is slipping between 2-3 gear. Damn! I guess I shouldn't complain, as it's got +230k on the clock. All the cash I been hoarding for tires, parts, ect. Just went to the '78 Powerwagon resurrection fund. Good luck everyone, and get to the finish, in one piece:D

adv rider 04-04-2013 12:48 AM

Desert 100 with a fork tool?

I finally made a tool to adjust my PFP and the left fork cartridge moved with the PFP adjuster slightly. And I can visibly see that it is protruding more than the right ,Anyway.
Does anybody that is going have the tool to tighten/loosen the cartridge? and are you going to be there on Friday? I am hoping to find a tool to tighten the catridge as it is bugging me that it is not completely tightened.
Thanks

jostby 04-04-2013 12:25 PM

In years past TBT Racing and Pro Circuit(?) have been there doing suspension tuning and rebuilds (TBT rebuilt my kids shock for $100 there one year). If nothing else you'll be able to find a vendor there to help you out.

adv rider 04-05-2013 12:10 AM

fork tool at D100

I didn't find a tool to use today, so hopefully a vendor at the event will have one I can use quickly. otherwise I am just going to run it the way it is.
I am almost ready, I have a pile of stuff ready to load up first thing in morning, can't wait !

pscook 04-05-2013 07:56 AM

Leaving in 10 minutes! All loaded up (van and trailer, too :D ), ready to hit the road. Stop in Ephrata for whateves, and then carve out a camping spot. Look for the green dodge Metro van with an open trailer, KTM 300, Black and white GG 300, and a WR250R dual sport.

adv rider 04-05-2013 11:00 AM

D100

Finally Loaded up! see you there :)

alta redneck 04-08-2013 11:44 PM

How did the race go for everyone. I just found out about this race. I've got a bunch of buddies that want to give it a go next year. I was just wondering if it is possible to run the race as a team by switching riders or is it just a single racer kind of deal? There's not much info on the website.

bowhunter007 04-09-2013 12:14 AM

It's every man for himself. Haven't heard from pscook...one rider took a splill, during the pre-race poker r(run, race). pscook & his nephew were riding with him, so he got out OK.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/101...rnage-stories/

adv rider 04-09-2013 01:38 AM

D100

It was a great weekend, too much dust on Saturday-but that's normal. and rain sunday-which I think Is better than not seeing in the heavy dust.

I only did Ironman- 3 laps though. I make sure to get my ridings worth[$} in. I saw about 6 other late model gassers and, some earlier models. Was bummed I couldn't find Stujohnson, I saw him at rest area on the way, but could not find.
It Was a great way to get the feel for my bike.

pscook 04-09-2013 07:31 AM

I survived the poker run on Saturday and the race on Sunday. I only did one lap of the race, but I could have run both laps. I did the lap in 2.5 hours, so not too terrible of a time. My nephew got lapped and houred out, he was 45 minutes behind me. Big bottleneck at a box canyon was my deciding factor to not continue, I didn't want to have to push my bike up that groove, especially after several thousand rear wheels were spinning it into dust.

I'll have some video later as I get time to edit out the boring parts.

Oh, one small blister on the left hand, and moderately sore. Not too bad considering I saw much, much worse on the course.

jostby 04-09-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alta redneck (Post 108360)
How did the race go for everyone. I just found out about this race. I've got a bunch of buddies that want to give it a go next year. I was just wondering if it is possible to run the race as a team by switching riders or is it just a single racer kind of deal? There's not much info on the website.

2-man teams have to use the same bike, one lap per person. 15 and under and 50 and older can opt for the 50 mile (1 lap), as can women.

adv rider 02-03-2014 11:50 PM

desert 100 april 5/6

The desert 100 is coming up again. Anyone planning on going?

http://stumpjumpers.org/documents/20...D-01-28-14.pdf

pscook 02-04-2014 08:20 AM

Yup. Making plans with friends now. I'll post up when we get everything solidified. Leaving Friday AM, coming home Sunday PM. Goal is two laps this year and not be such a sissy about my blisters.

adv rider 02-04-2014 10:52 AM

desert 100 april 5/6

Great! i always just do the poker run, pushing thru 3 laps. But always wanting to do the race,Maybe this year I will man up, and race.

davedunaway 02-04-2014 02:52 PM

Desert 100

Heading down this year with a couple other racers. Really looking forward to it,will ride in the over 50 class. Might have to go south in March for some riding,too much snow up here this winter.
Dave

pscook 02-04-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adv rider (Post 127635)
Great! i always just do the poker run, pushing thru 3 laps. But always wanting to do the race,Maybe this year I will man up and race.

I saw someone get pretty beat up 30 minutes into the poker run. I didn't see my first big injury until about 1.5 hours into the race. I believe the race is a bit safer than the poker run.

That being said, I'm doing both.

iamovru 02-04-2014 06:57 PM

HHHMMMMMM? Interesting

adv rider 03-10-2014 11:17 PM

Desert 100

So, its less than a month until the Desert 100. I am wondering how many gassers will be there from this forum? It would be great to have several gassers campsites lined up.

I go by myself, sleeping in my VW. It would be great if i was able to park next to some one else, that I knew. Even if its just from the forum at the beginning of weekend. Also since campfires are not allowed, I am wondering if anybody has one of the gas firepits? They sell them at cabella's for $100,but its not in the budget this year. It does get pretty darn cold at night out there.

If you haven't been to the event, its a great weekend. I hate to miss it. There is live music at night, Cold beer, A free shuttle into town-(restaurant,bar), vendors, etc

I will be heading out there friday morning, takes my van about 5.5 hrs to get there. Last year i met a couple gasgas guys at the hi-way rest stop,but couldn't find them during event-Its BIG!
SO who's planninbg on going at this point?

pscook 03-11-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adv rider (Post 129919)
So, its less than a month until the Desert 100. I am wondering how many gassers will be there from this forum? It would be great to have several gassers campsites lined up.

I go by myself, sleeping in my VW. It would be great if i was able to park next to some one else, that I knew. Even if its just from the forum at the beginning of weekend. Also since campfires are not allowed, I am wondering if anybody has one of the gas firepits? They sell them at cabella's for $100,but its not in the budget this year. It does get pretty darn cold at night out there.

If you haven't been to the event, its a great weekend. I hate to miss it. There is live music at night, Cold beer, A free shuttle into town-(restaurant,bar), vendors, etc

I will be heading out there friday morning, takes my van about 5.5 hrs to get there. Last year i met a couple gasgas guys at the hi-way rest stop,but couldn't find them during event-Its BIG!
SO who's planninbg on going at this point?

We are rolling out of Seattle Friday morning around 9:00 AM, ETA noon. We will have a village set up with heat and cover as well as food and other sundries. Drop me a note before the date and I'll give you our cell numbers. Let me know if you want to caravan over, we could possibly haul your bike if given enough notice (need to configure the trailer).

adv rider 03-16-2014 04:43 PM

D100

I will message you, when the date gets closer. That would be much more fun to camp near someone I know. Caravanning over sounds like a good idea.. but I would slow you guys down over the passes/Colombia river with my van.

So maybe I will try to get an earlier start, and meet up at one of the rest stops. Or in Odessa. hmmm..

pscook 03-16-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adv rider (Post 130325)
I will message you, when the date gets closer. That would be much more fun to camp near someone I know. Caravanning over sounds like a good idea.. but I would slow you guys down over the passes/Colombia river with my van.

So maybe I will try to get an earlier start, and meet up at one of the rest stops. Or in Odessa. hmmm..

Another good spot is Ephrata on highway 283, last real stop for gas and grub before you get to the campgrounds.

adv rider 04-01-2014 02:24 AM

D100

oops! Just noticed I posted this, instead of PM.

bowhunter007 04-01-2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adv rider (Post 131435)
Phil, you had mentioned room for my motorcycle, would your group be able to take my z50r pitbike? or I take the z,and you take my gasser.
Its nice to have a small motorcycle to get around on.
Also, anyword on a propane firepit. they work great,keep the trailer worm.they cost $110 at cabella's.

I am just bringing generator, single burner stove,coffee pot,e-zup,case water,case beer, tarps, riding gear.

anything I am forgetting?

Anything self-contained that can be "turned off" are ok, like a propane campfire-in-can sorta thing. I think the Stumpies frown on pit bikes, but you can PM mx813(D100 chairman) for specifics via Thumptalk.

pscook 04-01-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adv rider (Post 131435)
Phil, you had mentioned room for my motorcycle, would your group be able to take my z50r pitbike? or I take the z,and you take my gasser.
Its nice to have a small motorcycle to get around on.
Also, anyword on a propane firepit. they work great,keep the trailer worm.they cost $110 at cabella's.

I am just bringing generator, single burner stove,coffee pot,e-zup,case water,case beer, tarps, riding gear.

anything I am forgetting?

If you can get the bike to my place in Shoreline Thursday evening we can make room for it. Send me a PM to get my address.

Like Bowhunter stated, contact Mike (MX813) on Thumpertalk.com for fire restrictions as well as pit bike considerations. As stated, the fire source has to "turn off."

adv rider 04-02-2014 01:44 AM

d100

Its going to be a great weekend, I plan on having all my stuff ready to go, tomorrow night.

Embarrassing- to everybody that seen this original post,that is why it is bad to get on internet after taking your Ambien sleep medication. Sorry for that random post.