Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2007 GasGas to KYB SSS forks (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21692)

CanGasser 07-31-2016 08:43 AM

2007 GasGas to KYB SSS forks

Hi Guys

I am looking to do a fork swap on my 2007 GASGAS 300 to KYB SSS. I picked up a a lower and upper GASGAS triple clamps for 48 Sachs forks so right now just trying to get the parts to make the swap. I read all the threads I could find on this. Looking for info on the spacers or even better if someone is interested in making and selling me a set would be ideal. I would like use the GASGAS wheel or I can buy a YZ wheel if it makes things easier for the axle but I am guessing a bearing change would sort that out.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks Scott

swazi_matt 07-31-2016 03:19 PM

PM Twowheels on the forum. He will be able to sort you out

CanGasser 07-31-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 169813)
PM Twowheels on the forum. He will be able to sort you out

Perfect thanks, I think the spacer will be my only problem.

swazi_matt 08-01-2016 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Mc (Post 169819)
Perfect thanks, I think the spacer will be my only problem.

nope, he made those for me as well

I am based on the other side of the world and did not want (or have the facilities available) to measure and machine any parts. I sourced the forks off ebay and sent them direct to Steve, we discussed the desired end result and after a while i received a revalved set of forks, a yz axle, correct spacers, a brake caliper bracket (from braking.com) and a resized top GG triple clamp.

End result was that i did not need to change the brakes, wheel, wheel bearings, seals, or triple clamp bearings

CanGasser 08-01-2016 06:16 AM

From what I have gathered using the GASGAS clamps makes the most sense over changing the clamps to YZ and adding a stop. So I think all I really need now is the axle, spacers and the caliper bracket. I do have a 2000 426 yzf parts bike not sure if any of the parts on it are use able. Has anyone swapped over a yz caliper over using a bracket on the caliper?

swazi_matt 08-01-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Mc (Post 169831)
From what I have gathered using the GASGAS clamps makes the most sense over changing the clamps to YZ and adding a stop. So I think all I really need now is the axle, spacers and the caliper bracket. I do have a 2000 426 yzf parts bike not sure if any of the parts on it are use able. Has anyone swapped over a yz caliper over using a bracket on the caliper?

I think the issue is that the yz uses a slightly smaller brake rotor (both bikes' calipers are the same Nissin) than the GG so you need a caliper adapter on the yz forks for an oversize rotor (think it was a 260mm)

swazi_matt 08-01-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 169838)
I think the issue is that the yz uses a slightly smaller brake rotor (both bikes' calipers are the same Nissin) than the GG so you need a caliper adapter on the yz forks for an oversize rotor (think it was a 260mm)

something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260mm-Calipe...JXgreG&vxp=mtr

swazi_matt 08-02-2016 02:13 AM

this may be a simpler solution

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21697

(F5) 08-02-2016 04:52 AM

Nahhh. Kyb for the win.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...t=forks&page=4

Page 5 shows the simple spacers I made, sorry I'mon the wrong side of the world, but and old bloke in a shed with a lathe can bang you up some. Sorry Iforgot to measure final sizes, but you just rrecreate the inner one for new axle size then measure the gaps for the outer ones.

CanGasser 08-02-2016 07:45 AM

I'm pretty set on the KYB SSS for the forks, the Triple clamps I am planing on using the GASGAS clamps as I just bought a set of the 48mm just need the caliper bracket, axle and spacers was hoping someone would be interested in selling me a set of the correct spacers but could get a local machinist to do up a set once I know the sizes. I think I read some where that a set of rear KTM spacers are a very close fit.

(F5) 08-02-2016 02:25 PM

I was begrudgingly considering popping the wheel off. But I am using YZ clamps so they could be just any different. Just put it together with 1 std spacer, washers whatever and measure the gap on the other side. Then work out how much to centralise needs to come off. Then make new ones.

CanGasser 08-02-2016 08:26 PM

Hey thanks, I'm all good for working out the spacer was just trying to have all the stuff together so I could just assemble and Ride!

BigAl 08-03-2016 04:28 AM

I just changed the stearing head bearings to the YZ one and slipped on a whole frontend, to easy

(F5) 08-03-2016 02:27 PM

Except you now have no steering stops. Tubes will get bent in a crash.

gasgasman 08-03-2016 02:44 PM

Nope. Put bumpers on the frame.

Zman 08-06-2016 09:56 AM

I agree that the whole yz front end swap is the easiest way to go. I put firm rubber bumpers on my frame as steering stops.

Zman 08-06-2016 10:01 AM

I agree that the whole yz front end swap is the easiest way to go. I put firm rubber bumpers on my frame as steering stops.

CanGasser 08-06-2016 08:55 PM

looks like I might be doing the whole YZ front end now, the seller that sold me the 2011 triple clamps sold me a set of 125 clamps so I ended up with the same 45mm clamps I already have. He said he will refund me so I am now ope to options. Think I might consider the whole YZ front end. Can you use the gasgas wheel or best to get the YZ wheel too

swazi_matt 08-07-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Mc (Post 169966)
looks like I might be doing the whole YZ front end now, the seller that sold me the 2011 triple clamps sold me a set of 125 clamps so I ended up with the same 45mm clamps I already have. He said he will refund me so I am now ope to options. Think I might consider the whole YZ front end. Can you use the gasgas wheel or best to get the YZ wheel too

I would think the 45 clamps are the same as the 48's but with more meat on them. You would need to machine them bigger anyway so look to see if there is enough to machine them to fit

CanGasser 08-07-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 169968)
I would think the 45 clamps are the same as the 48's but with more meat on them. You would need to machine them bigger anyway so look to see if there is enough to machine them to fit

Ya I was going to do that but already have a set on the bike I can do that with so no point and having two. I tied to get a newer set so I didn't have to do that.

CanGasser 01-17-2017 06:29 AM

Well I'm back to doing this swap, bought a set of 2008 SSS with the YZ triple clamps so I am going to just drop these in. What have everyone that did this find best, Use a YZ wheel and caliper or use the GASGAS one? I have a 2003 YZF parts bike I could use the stuff off or could use the GASGAS with a caliper bracket and different axle if I am correct. My guess would be to use the YZ wheel, I think I read somewhere the GASGAS caliper will bolt up the the YZ bracket.

thanks
Scott

swazi_matt 01-18-2017 12:44 AM

i had some new spacer made by twowheels (steve Beane) that enabled me to use the GG wheel, bearings and seals with a yz axle (it sticks out about 15mm on the RHS)

for the brakes you will need an adapter to convert the yz caliper to a 260mm disk (made by braking http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...mm-front-rotor)

And lastly i just had a GG top triple clamp machined out to match the yz forks

fullthrottle 01-18-2017 04:27 AM

I just used everything from the yz and had a steering stop welded on

Elvis74 01-18-2017 06:50 AM

I changed mine now. I went back from the YZ tripple clamp to the original gasgas. I machined the clamping diameters to fit the KYB SSS

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

CanGasser 01-18-2017 05:40 PM

Can anyone confirm the head stem bearing sizes so I can get those ordered?

Thanks
Scott

swazi_matt 01-18-2017 10:39 PM

All balls has a section on their website that has bearings sizes for conversions

(F5) 01-18-2017 11:08 PM

In my thread. . , Erm hijacked thread

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ht=tech&page=4

_Hammy 01-19-2017 04:49 AM

Hi Scott, I see you're using SSS's off an 08 YZF which I think have a 32mm fork lug and thus changing the steering geometry (if you're keeping the GG triples).

I'm about to step into this conversion for my 09 ec300 so are interested in anyone's real world feedback on the geometry changes on the older chassis, and whether it is an issue of not

At this stage I'm keen on keeping my triples and boring them out and keeping my front wheel (running tublis)

Sorry for the hijack ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanGasser 01-19-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 174147)
In my thread. . , Erm hijacked thread

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ht=tech&page=4

Hey F5 thanks, so the bearing are just the standard YZ bearings almost like the GASSER was meant to have the SSS forks.

CanGasser 01-19-2017 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=_Hammy;174150]Hi Scott, I see you're using SSS's off an 08 YZF which I think have a 32mm fork lug and thus changing the steering geometry (if you're keeping the GG triples).

I'm about to step into this conversion for my 09 ec300 so are interested in anyone's real world feedback on the geometry changes on the older chassis, and whether it is an issue of not

At this stage I'm keen on keeping my triples and boring them out and keeping my front wheel (running tublis)

Sorry for the hijack ;-)

No Worries

I was going to use the GASGAS triples and wheel, but the forks came with the Yamaha triples and I just happen to have a YZ front wheel so I am going to go that direction. Seems to be the simplest. Just trying to confirm the caliper and bearings. That bike's getting alot of love I'm rebuilding the engine and installing new forks and installing tublis can't wait to ride her in the spring.

Anders 01-19-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Mc (Post 174153)
I was going to use the GASGAS triples and wheel, but the forks came with the Yamaha triples and I just happen to have a YZ front wheel so I am going to go that direction. Seems to be the simplest. Just trying to confirm the caliper and bearings.

The Gasgas Caliper mounts directly to the Yz caliper bracket. On my 06 200, I did the swap using 08 YZ250F forks and triple clamps. Used the GG wheel and caliper with the YZ axle and home made distances, and made 250mm brake disks for the GG wheels that I have.

(F5) 01-19-2017 12:33 PM

Yes Yamaha preplanned this move, however they could have precast some lumps for steering stops. The more YZs canabalised the better new sales. Foil hats everyone: IT'S A CONSPI. . , ,

So much better with SSS. Although for NZ conditions the YZ forks were too stiff and a revavle to KTech club specs did the biz. Just shim changes so was quite cheap.

CanGasser 01-19-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 174159)
Yes Yamaha preplanned this move, however they could have precast some lumps for steering stops. The more YZs canabalised the better new sales. Foil hats everyone: IT'S A CONSPI. . , ,

So much better with SSS. Although for NZ conditions the YZ forks were too stiff and a revavle to KTech club specs did the biz. Just shim changes so was quite cheap.

Yamaha might have the forks but not motor like the Gasser love this motor!

CanGasser 01-19-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 174155)
The Gasgas Caliper mounts directly to the Yz caliper bracket. On my 06 200, I did the swap using 08 YZ250F forks and triple clamps. Used the GG wheel and caliper with the YZ axle and home made distances, and made 250mm brake disks for the GG wheels that I have.

That's excellent, I'm all set then thanks for everyone's help. Should be doing the motor rebuild this weekend and maybe the forks next weekend. Then strap on the studded tires!

(F5) 01-19-2017 06:20 PM

Search my head thread if you want the motor even better. Looking forward to the next ride as we are in summer. Sadly some rain forecast for the Sunday.

Zman 01-19-2017 10:14 PM

I made the ssswap on my GG 2000 XC327 using the whole front end from a 2008/9 Yamihaha YZ450F. The only things I needed were a steering head bearing and HD furniture foot pads on the frame for stops. The springs were too light for my weight and dampening was too stiff for my riding so I decided to do my homework and learn how to revalve the SSS forks. It only took about 7 tries but I think I finally got it.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/120...-input-needed/

_Hammy 01-19-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman (Post 174173)
I made the ssswap on my GG 2000 XC327 using the whole front end from a 2008/9 Yamihaha YZ450F. The only things I needed were a steering head bearing and HD furniture foot pads on the frame for stops. The springs were too light for my weight and dampening was too stiff for my riding so I decided to do my homework and learn how to revalve the SSS forks. It only took about 7 tries but I think I finally got it.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/120...-input-needed/

Hi Zman, how did you fix the stops to the frame? To be honest, the thought of welding stops on is the main thing that's stopping me swapping over to the YZ triples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(F5) 01-20-2017 02:06 AM

Ahh mate don'tbe ssuch a pussy. Drill a hole, thread a bolt in there and cut a couple of blocks to trial. Then take them to a weldy dude with 20 bones easy as.

If dumb colonials can do it, surely you can. Same breeding stock and all that.

CanGasser 01-20-2017 04:31 PM

Now I'm sitting here thinking of spring rates in the KYB SSS forks. For anyone that fitting them to a Gasser what spring did you end up with? I am 235 LBS without gear.

Thanks Scott

(F5) 01-20-2017 04:33 PM

Mine were YZ250 and seem OK after revalve. But other bikes may have different rates esp fat 4 strokes.