Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Off Road Racer's Corner (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Enduro Cross: Why so interested??? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16057)

Bandit9 11-01-2013 09:04 AM

Enduro Cross: Why so interested???

I just don't get the fascination with Enduro X. It is boring as hell to watch. It isn't even remotely close to an Enduro. (Neither is NEPG, but that is another topic) A 65 year old man on a TTR 125 could clean all the obstacles. There is no speed, everyone is doing 15 mph.

What is the big deal to the fan? I know why the industry likes it, I just can't ever see myself plunking down $50 or whatever it is or traveling any distance to go and watch it. I don't even watch it on TV.

What is so exciting about it?

Also why does every promoter out there think it is necessary to ruin a Hare Scramble or Enduro by putting artificial obstacles on the course? Tractor tires? Telephone poles? WTF is happening?

rosco 11-01-2013 09:23 AM

I would have to totally disagree with you. If you are into competition it doesn't get any more intense than endurocross. I would way rather watch a endurocross than I would a supercross. The pro riders just amaze me at the things they can do on a bike.
Speaking of endurocross, we will be having our annual race Jan 4th, 2014 in Rapid City,SD.. For more info you can go to mx4fun.com.

Bandit9 11-01-2013 09:31 AM

I'm as competitive as it comes. I'll death match you over Checkers. SX is boring as well.

Maybe to the people and kids who don't race or who don't ride at all I could possibly understand it.

Jakobi 11-01-2013 09:50 AM

Cricket, Golf, Football, Tennis... Isn't it all the same.. All fun to play, but none all that spectacular to watch, but without a doubt they all pull a crowd.

Fred1956 11-01-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit9 (Post 121690)
I'm as competitive as it comes. I'll death match you over Checkers. SX is boring as well.
Maybe to the people and kids who don't race or who don't ride at all I could possibly understand it.

To me the problem with Enduro or harescrambles is that it isn't spectator friendly, people have to wander waaay out on the course to see the gnarly stuff. They don't charge spectators at enduros......
Enter EnduroX which puts all the gnarly in an 'easy' to see atmosphere. Even Supercross doesn't relate to the spectator unless they've ever walked a pro track, those guys are doing some serious stuff out there, but anyone can relate to a big pile of rocks, telephone poles, etc.
I think it's all about the entertainment value, any thing that gets a guy/kid off the couch to go watch and then gets them interested in a motorcycle is good for the industry.
If you tell a 'non believer' "I ride enduro" and they've seen enduroX then they think they understand

All about the Benjamins in the end:D

Bandit9 11-01-2013 10:20 AM

I don't know, I watch the same guys in a regular outdoor extreme enduro or regular race and it is interesting. Scale down everything and put it inside a building, and it last 15 mins, not so interesting....

I'll admit that my personality leads me to be a participant and not a spectator. However, I went to Last Man Standing and thought it was pretty spectacular the way they climbed Joshua Tree and Triple Threat etc....you know, like real obstacles.

So far, I'm not so impressed by EX with jumping over a log or two or riding over a few rocks for a few laps.

I would just chalk it up to I'm just getting old I guess, but I'm only 40 and have thought that EX sort of blows since it came out years ago.

It's just me, I'm sure everyone who attends will have a good time and that is what really is important.

Darkside 11-01-2013 10:34 AM

Have you tried riding any endurocross obstacles? My local riding spot has a novice endurocross course. Once you try it yourself you can appreciate the skill required to navigate the obstacles at speed. And yes, it's good for promoters because it's easier to sell seating in a stadium than on a natural course.

bkwdc 11-01-2013 11:02 AM

Whatever promotes motorcycles in a positive way . . . I'm in.

Bandit9 11-01-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkside (Post 121696)
Have you tried riding any endurocross obstacles? My local riding spot has a novice endurocross course. Once you try it yourself you can appreciate the skill required to navigate the obstacles at speed. And yes, it's good for promoters because it's easier to sell seating in a stadium than on a natural course.

I've run about 150 enduros and hare scrambles. I believe I've jumped a few logs and seen a few rocks.

twowheels 11-01-2013 12:42 PM

I like watching enduroX, but the best trail in our hare scrambles series is inevitably the EX bypass. It sucks too when you can blow a lap's worth of energy just to get over the artificial stuff.

We see lots of rocks and logs in the woods, and that's why I go there.

Having said that, I'll see you in Vegas!

nambo-trev 11-01-2013 01:08 PM

I'm really messed then because I love enduroX, supercross and motogp! I get as hyped for those sports seasons to start as I do the nfl season!

Bandit9 11-01-2013 01:32 PM

I like Moto GP and all the Superbike series. I've been to see AMA Superbikes. I liked it live and in person. I don't even ride street. I also love Isle of Man TT.

rbm33 11-01-2013 02:32 PM

You should give it a try and go watch a big Enduro cross. the obstacles are about twice as big as the appear on tv and the good guys are going about as three times as fast as what tv shows.

our local pro, Tony Joiner who got 4th over two weeks ago at the National enduro in OK, raced one a few years ago and the top pros made him look like a novice rider.

the speed and commitment those guys have is pretty crazy!!

nambo-trev 11-01-2013 02:33 PM

I use to be a huge AMA super bike fan in the late 90's but feel it's really changed for the worse. That being said world super bike and motogp have really heated up. I think this year will be a more competitive than ever SX field so I'm pumped for that as well. I can understand why some wouldn't like watching enduroX though, I bet when your actually at one though it would be intense, loud and the smell of burning 2-stroke oil and beer what could be better than that!!

Darkside 11-01-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

've run about 150 enduros and hare scrambles. I believe I've jumped a few logs and seen a few rocks.
I'm not doubting your skills or experience. I'm just saying that on these tracks, the obstacles come one right after another without a breather or time to prepare. It's crazy watching those guys try to fly through chopped wood and rock gardens.

It's better to view on tv when you can see the whole course. When I watch gncc races on tv, it's hard to see the whole scope of the course. Speaking from a person who has never raced one. :(

Bandit9 11-01-2013 03:27 PM

That is cool, I don't mean to try and ruin it for anyone else. It's just everything lately is "EX this" or "EX that" and I just don't see what the big deal is. For me, being out in the woods or wilderness on singletrack is a big part of why I like Enduro. So you can see why this sanitized version of it doesn't light my fire.

I don't know why even started this thread, it isn't like I'm going to find out something that is going to make me all of a sudden want to go watch one.

Rock On and hope ya'll have a good time at the events.

desertgasser300 11-01-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheels (Post 121704)
I like watching enduroX, but the best trail in our hare scrambles series is inevitably the EX bypass. It sucks too when you can blow a lap's worth of energy just to get over the artificial stuff.

We see lots of rocks and logs in the woods, and that's why I go there.

Having said that, I'll see you in Vegas!

Not before I see you in Vegas! This will quite possibly be the best weekend since 2001!!!

That being said, who the heck doesn't enjoy watching dirt bikes race in any capacity? Just weird to me?

Bandit9 11-02-2013 04:13 PM

I hear you, and I will agree. I am weird.:D

Stoby 11-02-2013 08:16 PM

???????

After reading this I decided to watch a whole race. I like a little bit of every motorcycle racing but I don't go out of my way to watch. I liked it about as much as I like watching motox.I'm not a big watcher of anything Prefer to be a do'er myself Anyway I would think all those guys would want to ride 125 150 200cc bikes on those courses Surprised to seee big bikes

bowhunter007 11-02-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoby (Post 121775)
Anyway I would think all those guys would want to ride 125 150 200cc bikes on those courses Surprised to seee big bikes

I would have thought so too(for myself), 'till I watched a someone on a 2t 125. Up & down through the gears...repeat...repeat...repeat...etc.
It looked like a heckuva lot of work. Everyone else sounded like their bikes were always in one gear...easier with the extra torque(I would think).

swazi_matt 11-03-2013 12:21 AM

I am also not a fan of watching mx on tv but because we are starved of any major events this side of the globe I went to watch the mx gp in sun city (south Africa's Vegas) in 2005 and live was just something else got to see some real classy riding (Stefan everts, cairolli ratray) but still don't watch it on tv

I do watch ex though for a few reasons. Firstly I can relate to it better (similar obstacles to what you see on the trail) and also because it is so unpredictable so easy for a leader to drop the bike. And you just need to watch the pro women to see how tough it is. The pro men give the impression that it is not so tough

BUT i would much rather be riding than watching and I think that is something we can all agree with

StuJohnson 11-03-2013 10:23 PM

If you say you don't even like watching the RedBull Romaniacs then YES you are definitely weird.... ;-)

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Bandit9 11-04-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuJohnson (Post 121837)
If you say you don't even like watching the RedBull Romaniacs then YES you are definitely weird.... ;-)

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

No, never said that. I watch Romaniacs. I watch just about everything outdoors.

desertgasser300 11-04-2013 08:14 AM

It's a nice blend of MX meets Enduro mashed together. Proof that off-roading is still growing. And its making the public fall in love with dirtbikes again.