Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   We are back! (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6429)

webmaster 12-06-2009 12:10 AM

We are back!

Hi All,
The server that hosts this forum resides in my garage - a power outage on tuesday night combined with a malfunctioning UPS fried the power supply,the motherboard & CPU...

Sorry for the delay in getting the site back up - I had to order up a used motherboard and a processor on e-bay - the replacement parts arrived late today.

If the new franken-server fails again - I have good backups of everything and will move off to a commercial web hosting service.

Thanks,
Jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club.

blitz11 12-06-2009 04:30 AM

No, THANK YOU. You provide a great service, Jeff, and we all appreciate it very much.

This is my primary off-season diversion, and I missed it while it was down.

Thanks again.

blitz

eff 12-06-2009 04:33 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for all the hard work!!!!! Boy I'm glad it's back up!!!

Fred1956 12-06-2009 05:35 AM

Thanks a bunch Jeff !! I was starting to get shakes from withdrawal !
good work and I love the website

MattR 12-06-2009 06:03 AM

Thanks for your hardwork Jeff!

Cruiser 12-06-2009 06:40 AM

Thanks!!!! you are the man!!

widebear 12-06-2009 07:43 AM

Thanks Jeff. The down time made me appreciate just how much I enjoy and how often I visit this site.

gasgasman 12-06-2009 09:46 AM

THANK YOU JEFF

I did not realise how much I visited this site.

You don't know how much this site means to us Gas Gas riders.

Girard

wence 12-06-2009 10:54 AM

Cheers Jeff,
I missed the site and actually wrote to Rick to make sure I was not the only one without it.
Thanks for putting in the hours mate,
Mark:)

MattR 12-06-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 37164)
Thanks for your hardwork Jeff!

Forgot to mention... it seems like the new server is faster now. My PC would often time out before and I had to hit refresh to load properly. It only happened with this site. Now, I loads up quickly the first time. The new parts are working good from my standpoint. Thanks!

Senior29 12-06-2009 11:09 AM

Thanks! That was almost worse than losing my cell phone.

RBD 12-06-2009 11:17 AM

Nice to have the site back!

Ron

gasser 12-06-2009 12:12 PM

ALL IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD AGAIN!!! I didn't know what to do with that extra hour or two that I had each day that the site was down. Thanks Jeff for all your hard work.

Rick 12-06-2009 12:28 PM

Thanks for all your work in getting things up and running again......I found my self spending to much time over at Cafe Husky:eek:

webmaster 12-06-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 37179)
Forgot to mention... it seems like the new server is faster now. My PC would often time out before and I had to hit refresh to load properly. It only happened with this site. Now, I loads up quickly the first time. The new parts are working good from my standpoint. Thanks!

I bought a processor board with cpu and memory included. The cpu was advertised to be a slower model - turned out to be a newer amd athlon that benchmarks 50% faster. It's still pretty old though - I built this machine in 2001/2002 to host Les' website and the old smackover website...

There are alot of manuals and high res photos on the site now - so things can still be a little slow if someone needs to grab one of these - so please be patient. And sometimes my wife wants to watch a movie on hulu (streaming video) - so we will all have to wait for her! ;)

Jeff

mountain thumper 12-06-2009 01:37 PM

i thought something was wrong with MY connection lol, im glad to see it was just a maintanence thing!
thanks for all your hard work! and even if it went the speed of molasses wed still appreciate it!

LTRace 12-06-2009 01:43 PM

This forums content is the sum effort of the users and the moderators. As the homepage states,

The GasGas Rider’s Club is a non-profit entity and belongs to the entire GasGas community. This community includes riders, dealers and vendors. Costs for this site are supported by contributions from both vendors and dealers. Please join me in thanking our sponsors for their support of this site and welcoming them to the GasGas Rider’s Club.

But not a mention of what it takes to make it actually happen.

Jeff spends time every day doing basic daily maintenance and keeping spammers out, the cost for BB software & updates; a pipeline etc. to host this site does not come cheap. He maintains the server at his home and when something goes wrong as it did recently and has in the past, it consumes more of Jeff's "spare time" (of which he has very little) and a few more dollars. I personally can't imagine the total number of man-hours Jeff has in this from the very beginning, but I have a real good idea.

He is constantly behind the scene doing a heck of a job keeping this going. The Ad sponsors and donation funds don't come close to covering it. Jeff does it because he wants to, he really is one hell of a good guy and we all appreciate that!

GMP 12-06-2009 02:21 PM

Yes we sure do, and this is after a day at his real job.

Les, great to hear from you! I need to call you soon.

East_TN_GG 12-06-2009 02:25 PM

Thank you so much for the work you do for us dirty gg riders!!!

coolum74 12-06-2009 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the hard work...I certainly appreciate it :)

MattR 12-06-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTRace (Post 37195)
He is constantly behind the scene doing a heck of a job keeping this going. The Ad sponsors and donation funds don't come close to covering it.

This is definitely true!

Jeff will need to raise some funds to keep this site going. We will all need to contribute to some level. Servers, hardware, internet connection, etc.. is not free. As Les mentioned, the previous contributions only makes a small dent in the total amount and Jeff is footing the remainder himself. Not good!

I'm not sure the best way to have members contribute a "nominal" fee, but it will be the best way to ensure the GG club does not die. This site is a unique, worldwide group of GG enthusiasts. Let's dig into our pockets and help Jeff out with some financial support.

Jeff, if you set up a PayPal contribution/donation link or address to mail a check, I would be happy to offer my support. Perhaps you could set up several levels of donations (bronze, silver, gold, and lifetime supporters). The membership level could be listed below their username to reflect their commitment to the site.

gasgasnz 12-06-2009 10:19 PM

cheers Jeff, think gas gas riders worldwide appreciate having this site

53belair 12-07-2009 06:18 AM

Thanks for your hardwork, glad to have it back up and running!

F_G 12-07-2009 07:27 AM

Thanks for all your hard work. It was close though, I almost clicked on the orange popcicle site. ;)

REVERUP 12-07-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F_G (Post 37237)
Thanks for all your hard work. It was close though, I almost clicked on the orange popcicle site. ;)

I thought I somehow got on that orange cicle sight when I clicked on here and seen Kootz193 photos at the top of the forum. ;)

Thanks Jeff, and all sponsors and users of the sight! Without everyone this site doesn't exist or ain't worth the our time.

Roscoe

moto9 12-07-2009 09:29 PM

Site is awsome, nice to have you do all the work it takes to give us a place to share info
Thank you!!!