Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Finally bummed a ride on a 300 ('99) (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094)

AZRickD 05-27-2007 04:04 PM

Finally bummed a ride on a 300 ('99)

1999? Well, it's better than nothin'. :p

I pulled out of my north Phoenix neighborhood to meet up with folks riding the "Mile Markers" up by Lake Pleasant. No sooner did I hit a main road when I saw an identical 2005 Tacoma doublecab with a dirt bike in the back. I pulled up close and saw that it was an older Gas Gas 300. I had a hunch that he'd be riding with our group -- I was right.

Since Phoenix is becoming hot, we were RTR at 6:30am. We did about 20 miles of hilly and rocky single track and two track. Once back by the trucks I became my usual self and shamelessly begged a ride on the 300. He said okey-dokey but warned me that he likes his bikes sprung stiffly. I parked my "Dangerously Modified" (tm) Kawi KDX220R and kicked the GG to life (odd short kicker, btw).

I took it for a few miles of whooped-out jeep trail and found that he wasn't kidding, especially the rear end. But when I took it up to speed, the MX-stiff boingers worked pretty well -- but it wasn't set up for Arizona's rock-strewn trails.

The only things I noticed mod-wise on the engine was a revvier pipe that replaced the stocker (he said it would fall flat too quickly for him), and a larger (billet) expansion chamber on the side.

The engine was very responsive off the bottom end, without being too jerky. And it revved well. More than a 2003 KTM300 that I'd ridden recently but perhaps not as revvy as an '06 that I rode a few months ago. Not quite sure. Depending on how the newer GG300s perform, I could look forward to switching on the mellow CDI map when I'm tired and negotiating goat trails that are next to 30-foot slopes.

It certainly turned quicker than my KDX. The Kawi makes me feel like I'm sitting pretty tall and leaning the KDX over requires more angle and more foot.

I felt a little guilty and returned the 300 back to its owner before I was really ready to.

How do the modern ('07) GG300 (and even GG250) compare to last century's models? :D

Thanks,

Rick

GMP 05-29-2007 06:28 AM

The frames are several generations ahead. They were always good but have moved the weight lower and seating position got flatter. The steering angle on the '05 + is tighter and they steer quicker. Suspension on the '07 is very good stock. I'm a serious rock rider and this is the best stock rock suspension I've ever ridden. You get a fair amount of feedback but no evil things happen. I don't have a lot of experience with various year 300s as I prefer 250s in general, but I can tell you that the '07 250 motor is fantastic. No complaints. The '07 250 revs a little faster than my '00 and '03 and pulls from bottom to top with a good surge in the upper midrange.