Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Stock settings - Homologation vs Competition (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15855)

jerrytlr 09-29-2013 12:05 PM

Stock settings - Homologation vs Competition

Hi

Just purchased a new 2012 EC300.

I presume this would have been shipped with the Homologation carb settings as it is fully road legal - I even have the horn indicators and mirrors on it ;-)

Just wondering if I should stick with these or move to the competition settings as given in the owners manual. I am a long way off fine tuning the settings, I need to tune my riding a lot before I start dabbling with that, but I am concerned that the homologation settings might be too compromised with respect to engine life, driveability etc, if they exist merely to get the bike through emmissions regs.

If however they are specifically designed to make the bike more usable on the road, then I am happy to stick with them for now.

Any advice gratefully received..........;

Cheers

Jerry

Jakobi 09-29-2013 04:17 PM

Not sure. Here in Aus we get them with the ADR which includes mirrors and indicators, but don't come choked up. I'm pretty sure if yours is fully homologated then it will have both a restrictor in the airbox, as well as cat converter welded inside the expansion chamber. The carb needle will be a CHN.

Did they supply you with another pipe at all?

jerrytlr 09-29-2013 04:37 PM

No second pipe, bit it is possible there is a removable baffle or something like that, will take a closer look.

Part of the problem is not knowing what to expect to be delivered with the bike - the dealer forgot to give me the steering lock key, not sure what else might be missing!

Cheers,

Jerry

Jakobi 09-29-2013 06:33 PM

Its removable if you mean cutting it in half and rewelding the pipe. :D

Did you get the spares kit? Pull the needle out of the carb and see what you have, it'll likely be the N1EF#2. In which case your pipe will be as it should be. Short of that you can pull the pipe and try and feed something through it. Then you'll be certain.

Biff 09-30-2013 12:14 AM

I'm the UK the bike came with two front pipes, the restricted one was
Matt black.
If yours is chrome, it should be ok.
Needs new needle though.

jerrytlr 09-30-2013 03:13 AM

Thanks for the very helpful input - I have only a chrome front pipe so hopefully unrestricted...

If I understand you all correctly, I should be using the 'competition' settings with the chrome (unrestricted) pipe?

I will check and see which needle I have installed.

I didn't get a spares kit with the bike, I think they probably just forgot to give it to me so will chase that up.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jakobi 09-30-2013 04:20 AM

Throw the user manual in the bin. Half of its incorrect. Start reading..

The stock needle isn't even any good as a toothpick. Its that bad.