Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   EC515FSR hard to start when cold (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17214)

Toontje 04-17-2014 11:46 AM

EC515FSR hard to start when cold

Hi all!

I have a 2009 EC515FSR which doesn't like to wake up in the morning. It takes at least a few minutes to get running, all the time starting it using the electrical starter.
I keep the air filter clean, i changed the spark plug from a NGK CR9EIX to the standard CR8E, but that doesn't make a difference.
Since this is a bike with injection there is AFAIK no "starter" position for the injection.

Any tips or tricks to make the bike start in the morning?

Thanks,

Ton.

Toontje 06-01-2014 10:15 AM

Starting the 515 bearks the starter clutch

Hi all!

In one month i had to replace the starter clutch twice. I read on the forum that people have starting issues with the 450 and 515 mainly the '03 and '04 ones. Mine is '08 and i also have these issues.

Has anyone found a DECENT solution to this problem? Modifying the decompressor works?

I am desperate and put my 515 for sale again. If you look at how easy it is to kick a two-stroke. This is my fist 4-stroke and i think i made a mistake buying it. :mad:

Ton.

300ECR 06-02-2014 05:34 AM

Hi Ton a mate of mine has the 08 450 and was having the same sort of problem.
He had the program update and has fixed the problem 99% of the time. He has also found that some times he needs to open the throttle slightly. Hope this helps

Toontje 06-02-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300ECR (Post 135437)
He had the program update

What do you mean with this? Reprogramming the ECU unit? Can you elaborate on this so i know what to tell my mechanic?

Thanks,

Ton.

300ECR 06-02-2014 05:50 AM

There is software update for the ECU. I think there is a link on Gas Gas Spain website. Most dealers should be able to help with this.

300ECR 06-02-2014 05:51 AM

Where are you located?

Toontje 06-02-2014 06:00 AM

Barcelona, Spain.

300ECR 06-02-2014 06:02 AM

You could almost go to the factory to get the software update.. Lol..as I said most Gas Gas dealers should be able to help you out with the update.

Toontje 06-02-2014 06:08 AM

I would. It's only appx 100km away from where i live. Although i doubt that they will attend me...

Why Z? 06-08-2014 06:27 PM

Hey I was having this same issue. I have made a lot of progress and pretty much eliminated the problem doing the following (not to say your problem could be different but this is what worked for me:)

1. When you attempt a start, and it wants to start but doesn't, flip the on/off switch to reset the EFI. (You will hear the pump/injectors prime or whatever they are doing) then try starting again.

Repeat as necessary - but I have found this makes each subsequent "start" a bit stronger .

2. I would not doink around w the throttle much . If anything just crack the throttle open a tad as it starts to engage. (I feel it sometimes needs a bit of a push).

3. Make sure you are not running lean for some reason. I happened to have been running a bit lean due to an air leak. Technically where my air leak was I am not sure it was affecting starting or not but when I sealed it up it sure didn't hurt!

Hope this helps!!