Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2004 300 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=534)

JetPilotAlabama 12-25-2006 04:11 PM

2004 300

I am looking at a 2004 Enduro 300. I was wondering what problems if any the bikes have had ? I was ridding MX on a YZ450F and going back to trail and enduros and want a 2 stroke once again. I am 6'2" 250. I am sure the bike has enough lowend to pull my big _ _ _ around as I have heard how the 300 likes to go slow.

Thanks, JC

Berkyboy 12-25-2006 05:17 PM

The GasGas 300 is a solid performer it shares the same engine, other than cylinder, head and piston, as the GasGas 250. What I mean by that is the crank, transmission are the same.

The engine rev's a little slower then the GasGas 250 yet they both deliver the same peak hourspower. The GasGas 300s strength's is it builds power right from the bottom and is very forgiving in very technical terrain like mud, rocks and roots.

If your shopping for a 300 two-stroke only GasGas, KTM and TM build them but I doubt you'd be any happeir with any of them especially for off-road riding.

One thing to keep in mind is that GasGas bikes are available in both an EC and DE models. The EC has a heavier ignition flywheel while the DE model has a lighter, motorcross style ignition.

The 300 GasGas has been discribed as a "three-stroke" hybrid offering the best of both two-stroke and four-strokes worlds. I would concure on that statement and would add that it is one of the best open off-road enduro bikes ever built.

Brian VT 12-25-2006 06:03 PM

Well said by Berkyboy.
There are no problems with them. There are some small annoyances, like you'd find on any bike, but no major design flaws.
There may also be some things you may want to change to suit your size and riding style. You're probably aware that most bikes come set up for 170-180 lb. riders.
Other than that, these bikes are very reliable and, thanks to the 'net, parts are readily available. I've gotten all my stuff from GoFasters and they have everything in stock and at my door in a few days.
You'll love coming back to 2-stroke. I switched from an XR650R to the EC300 and I couldn't be happier.
Best bike I've owned. Good luck to you.

JetPilotAlabama 12-25-2006 08:56 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the information guys. What dose a top- end rebuild usually run if you do it yourself and how often should it need a rebuild ?

Thanks, Joe

Master Chief 12-26-2006 08:48 PM

JC,

There are no known issues with the 2004 EC300s. Every year they keep getting better! I'm a Gas Gas dealer in Mobile, AL. Feel free to give me a call if you have any specific questions I can help you with. I've had a lot of experiennce with the 300s, and setting them up for both racers and trail riders.

J&J Racing
251-649-6966

Adrian 12-27-2006 10:11 AM

If I use a vertex piston kit, I can rebuild the top end for under $150. I get a complete season out of a top end racing in the expert class. I replace mine once a year regardless if it needs it or not. Doing a bottom end is also fairly cheap since it uses a cr250 rod. I think the main reason any top end wears fast is dirt infiltration.

Boomhauer 12-27-2006 07:22 PM

I have an 04 300 and besides the normal wear and tear or the abuse one said owner gives it;) I have no major issues.

These are great machines.:cool:

Treesmacker 12-27-2006 11:27 PM

I own a 04 DE300 and the bike has been very good to me. It's my third Gasser. When the trail gets the worst they work the best!
Good Luck!

mike989 12-29-2006 02:32 AM

Have any of you 04 300 owners revalved your suspension?
I have an 04 and trail ride, most of the area I ride is rocky, square edged bumps, and slower speeds. The suspension is very harsh in those conditions. I've adjusted front and rear to each limit, and does not help. Revalving would be the answer?
My EC has the heavy flywheel, and it lugs up rocky, steep hills with ease. So far in the 8 rides it's been on I've never stalled it in the tight slow stuff. It has power everywhere, it starts pulling at the crack of the throttle, and at an indicated 70mph it still had a little throttle left. You can short shift it or let it rev. My .02, it's a great bike, and would buy another one when the time comes.

d251man 01-06-2007 12:12 PM

04 300 de

I have 2 full seasons on my 300. I finally opened the cylinder to check on top end. No wear, beautiful. Bike starts and runs great. I have only changed the suspension fluid front and back, with synthetic. I have thought of doing a revalve but thought twice. The forks to me are a little soft. SO i just increased the fluid 10mm. In all truth the bike is above my abilities. To go faster i need to train more, not worry about the bike.

This 300 is tough, and most riders can ride to the top of their abilities stock. Set up is important but if your mindset is the bike is wrong you will never go fast fast on a gas gas.

Buy it you won't be unhappy. Revalve not really needed! mike989 have you changed fluids?