Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   43mWP Questions (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3124)

Rick 08-01-2008 07:36 AM

43mWP Questions

I am putting the finishing touches on my 99 EC200 Hybrid....w/ 43mm WP's. Forks seals need to be replaced. Those w/ 43mm WP's what fork oil seems to work the best, and recomended level. Also and good starting point for rebound and compression. I am a hefty 205 fully dressed in gear, race cross country and enduro's. Looking for a good starting point.

Thanks

widebear 08-01-2008 07:45 AM

I run 5 weight @ 110 mm with .44 fork springs@ 2mm pre load. I set the rebound at 8 and comp at 12, however these settings will differ depending on the installed spring rate and or riders ability.

Rick 08-02-2008 02:28 PM

Thanks..for the info..at least I have a starting point...

Nick 08-02-2008 05:42 PM

When in doubt, start in the middle.

Rick 08-18-2008 04:22 PM

I rode the bike yesterday for the first time with the new forks and clamps. I was out on a private outdoor motocross track. The track is right at 1 mile long with several nice doubles, table tops and a couple of very cool rythem sections.

WOW! what a difference the 43 WP's made! The biggest improvement was in the flexing, the old 45 Zoke's had a mind of there own sometimes when the terrain was really fast and rough. The bike still turns on a dime and in fact it think it turns a little better than it did with the old Zokes.

I have the fork height set a 5mm right now, I will play with that next week. I have not put my WER stablizer back on, I wanted to "get a feel" for the front end with out the stablizer. At high speeds it was a little twitchy, but I think some fine tuning and the stablizer will take care of that.

The bike felt VERY ballanced. Next test session will be in the woods. I have a good starting point from yesterday, now to get some setting for the woods.

Now for the ugly

I want my Brembo front brake back! There is no pucker power with this Nissan front brake. I bleed the system more than I care to count...still just does not have the pucker factor as the Brembo. I am a heavy front brake user. I used a syringe to pull the fluid through the system. Still just does not have the stopping power of the Brembo. I even deglazed my front rotor to see if that would help...no luck. A different set of brake pads is next!

All in all I feel like I am on a new bike.

2 strokes 4 life 08-18-2008 07:19 PM

I also find my 43mm WPs to be un-stabble at high speeds unless under hard acceleration. Good to hear you like them.

GMP 08-22-2008 07:28 AM

Rick,

Go with organic compound pads, or OEM Honda pads, and a braided stainless line. Some of the plastic lines expanded and gave a vague feel, like it needed bleeding but there was no air. The aftermarket sintered pads suck IMO and wear the rotors excessively as well. A well set up Nissin brake should be stronger than the Brembo and make it a stoppie machine!

Trailrider 08-22-2008 08:12 AM

nissin brakes

Like Glenn said, you need a new brake line. I had the same dilemma, my 98 with Brembo brakes were much better than my Nissin on my 2001. Les or GoFasters should have a better front brake line, will feel just as strong as the Brembo unit.
Trailrider

Rick 08-22-2008 08:29 AM

Thanks guys were going to get a new set of OEM Honda pads and new brake line, this will also give me a chance to replace that old banjo brake light switch bolt with a standard short unit.

Again thanks!!