Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   MOOSE SHOCK SEALHEAD(lowered the bike.) (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12037)

moto9 03-28-2012 02:17 AM

MOOSE SHOCK SEALHEAD(lowered the bike.)

I got my sachs shock back together after getting the top eye repaired.

I had a new Moose seal head (parts unlimited #1314-0266) that I wanted to

try which is almost 1/2" taller.

This lowered the bike about an inch, I slid the forks higher in the clamps

to level the bike out....still need seat time to see if I like the changes.

Just wanted to share that this is an alternative way for those that want to

lower the bike some.

Synergy-Seals 03-28-2012 10:51 AM

You will notice that your shock will feel spikier sooner in the stroke.....you removed "area" in the shock.

moto9 03-28-2012 11:39 AM

I revalved it and I'll have to get some rides in to see if I like the changes.
If I don't I'll switch it back.

PEB 03-28-2012 12:08 PM

Does that mean you could raise it with a shorter one? I'd love to raise the bike about an inch.

moto9 03-29-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEB (Post 83205)
Does that mean you could raise it with a shorter one? I'd love to raise the bike about an inch.

I don't think you'd be able to get a full inch because the linkage would lockout.

twowheels 03-29-2012 08:42 AM

The Sachs shocks have at various times in the past used a clevis with an oval insert to locate the lower shock bolt. You can run the bolt in the top location to effectively make the shock shorter, or flip it around and make the ride height taller. None of this affects shock travel, which unfortunately an internal spacer does.

webmaster 03-29-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synergy-Seals (Post 83198)
You will notice that your shock will feel spikier sooner in the stroke.....you removed "area" in the shock.

This isn't correct. Removing "volume" from the shock won't make it "spikier sooner in the stroke. Given a properly set piston depth, the nitrogen volume will be the same. You will have a little less fluid in the shock and that's it.. And, as the shock goes through the stroke, the change in nitrogen volume (pressure) will be identical to what it was before the seal head change.

Jeff

webmaster 03-29-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEB (Post 83205)

Les at LTR used to make shorter links (dog bones) for the quad. These will raise the back end. Check with him as he might still have some lying around.

jeff

GMP 03-29-2012 09:39 AM

If the shock is shorter, the linkage starts out its movement at a more progressive point on the curve (higher shaft speed). This is why you have to revalve them when shortened and what I suspect moto9 did. Like Jeff said though the shock volume has nothing to do with it.

moto9 03-29-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 83270)
This isn't correct. Removing "volume" from the shock won't make it "spikier sooner in the stroke. Given a properly set piston depth, the nitrogen volume will be the same. You will have a little less fluid in the shock and that's it.. And, as the shock goes through the stroke, the change in nitrogen volume (pressure) will be identical to what it was before the seal head change.

Jeff

Did I mention I converted the shock over to a bladder.