Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Marzocchi Shiver 45 lower valve parts? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14449)

brider 03-10-2013 10:38 AM

Marzocchi Shiver 45 lower valve parts?

Looked everywhere, can't find a rebuild kit for the lower valve on my '06 EC 300 forks, Marzocchi 45 Shiver.

The left leg is leaking it's oil all over the garage floor, manual says this is classic lower-valve o-ring failure.

Called supplier that sponsors this site, he said just to take the o-ring and measure and find one from a commercial supplier.

Huh? Is there really no re-build kit available for this fork, besides upper wiper seals?

STM Suspension 03-13-2013 05:07 AM

Yeah, doesn't surprise me.

I've got some at the shop- I can pull one and measure it for you- if it's that common of a failure, I'll stock some-

And I've got OE fork seals and wipers, as well as OE bushings. And SKF seals, as well as some spare parts.

brider 04-01-2013 12:38 PM

Clicked on your STM link, but didn't call as it suggests.

Are you able to measure those lower fork valve o-rings, or can you assemble a kit with the O-rings, and seals and wipers? May as well collect those and do them while I'm at it.

Just posted another follow-up to my attempt to get the lower valve out of the fork leg. Seems like the lower valve is just turning the internal damper. Do I definitely need the factory special tool to hold the damper (rod)? Right now the fork cap is still installed in an attempt to "hold" everything internally while I bacl out the valve.

Does this method run the risk of spring pressure doing some damage during the last few threads of engagement?

brider 04-11-2013 09:52 AM

Found a source for o-rings

www.theoringstore.com

They were able to sell me SINGLE o-rings (I bought extra), rather than the 100+ qty most suppliers required.

I measured my lower valve O-ring seats to determine the ID, and then the o-ring itself to determine the Cross-Section.

Here's what I found:

Large O-ring measured 25.2mm ID x 1.8mm CS, which closely translates to an AS568-022 size (almost exactly)

Small O-ring measures 23.1mm ID x 1.8mm CS, which does NOT translate close enough to an AS568-series size.

So then I assumed they were METRIC O-rings (Duh!), and found M2 x 25 (25mm ID x 2mm CS) for the large and M2 x 23 (23mm ID x 2mm CS) for the small were standard metric sizes. These are what I ordered.

5valve 04-13-2015 06:16 PM

A bit late, topic date wise, but there is another oring down below, on the clicker that is.
A bit pain to remove, but worth it. Wire circlip, copper washer, clicker threads out.
It's not orings that fail, usually, but dirt, that accumulates inside and makes oring step aside from mating surface, resulting oil leak.
So you can remove and clean base valve, but untill you remove the clicker with taper valve, there is still dirt inside, and oil flows through it.