Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Needle decoding question (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24679)

Banditpowdercoat 08-26-2019 12:45 AM

Needle decoding question

So I am new to Keihin needles nomenclature, but what I have gathered, and please correct me if I am wrong, it's why Im posting,
GG OEM numbers are N1xx like my 98 N1EC.
Yamaha is N2xx
KTM is N3xx

Is N being the tattletale of OEM? But my q is the other 3. Mostly the number. Is it compatable to Keihin Taper letters? eg 1=A 2=B 3=C?
Also read GG N1xx are triple taper where the others are single?

Trying to decode my N1EC and some KTM, like N3EG to std Keihin numbers so I can order some. It's much more availible to me to get std Keihin numbers than OEM in most cases.
Is N1EC = AEC
and N3EG = CEG?

Jakobi 08-26-2019 10:02 PM

N-X-Y-Z (N3EJ) (NEDW) (NOZI) (N1EF)

N - OEM Needle identifier
X - Taper profile
Y - Clip position/length
Z - Diameter

The X/Y doesn't seem to share any common ground between needles. 3 is 2 taper needle. E is 3 taper, O is 3 taper, 1 is the stock GG needle also a 3 taper. I'm not sure if the tapers are the same between the NOZ/N1E. They do feel very similar. The Y part which indicates clip pos/length is also paired up with the taper profile (x) to form a needle with the same properties that allows for half clip adjustments. Exmaples N3Ex/N3Cx, NEDx/NECx. I have a feeling NOZx/N1Ex is the exception and are half clip different using the same taper.

Z is the needle diameter of the straight section of the needle. It covers idle to 1/8-1/4 depending on the needles taper profile. Sizes range from:

Nxxx needle diameters
D=2.685mm
E=2.695mm (JD Blue)
F=2.705mm
G= 2.715
H= 2.725
W/I=2.735 (JD Red)
J= 2.745
K=2.755

Suzuki come stock with the NExx needles. Ktm use NOZx or N8xx (same taper profile as the N3xx). TM, Sherco, Beta all share needles too, so I don't know if anyone really 'owns' anything.

All these needles are the same 2 taper profile, with varying lengths:
In 1/2 clip variations from leanest to richest they are...
N89x=leanest
N3Cx
N3Ex
N8Rx
N2Zx
N4Dx
N3Vx
N4Ax
N6Mx=richest

They share no similarities with Keihin/Sudco needles. You'll be able to cross reference the diameter and that is it. Keihin needles are a single taper. The angle of that taper is part of their naming.

barossi73 08-27-2019 12:20 AM

Am i the only one wondering...does that much needle knowledge come at the price of a pile of toasted pistons/bores? :D

jhendr3702 08-27-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barossi73 (Post 191731)
Am i the only one wondering...does that much needle knowledge come at the price of a pile of toasted pistons/bores? :D

jakobi has a slight jetting problem....

Davehuge 08-27-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barossi73 (Post 191731)

That's why it's always better/safer to start RICH and move step by step LEANER.

All the best, Dave.

barossi73 08-27-2019 08:29 PM

Lol he may indeed have a slight jetting problem,but that is great for us in here!!
(Plus-every tweak must be thoroughly tested,and the merits discussed over a cold one or two)

(F5) 08-28-2019 01:30 AM

Problem
Affliction
Calling

These are all but words we throw around trying to explain the rich tapestry of life. But what really counts is finding a decent needle and, therefore, Enlightenment. And 3rd gear wheelies.

Doc Brown 08-30-2019 01:00 AM

I do miss a "like button". Thanks Jakobi for taking the time to help others. Much appreciated.