Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Have any of youse guys had a ..... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4306)

bukwheat 03-15-2009 07:52 PM

Have any of youse guys had a .....

chain on your GG with out a master link? I was going service my linkage today and went to remove the master link and there tweren't none....this is the stock chain. I have heard of it on street bikes but never on a dirt bike.:confused:

HydroDog 03-15-2009 08:00 PM

My 07 came with a rivited link also. In the past I always installed the rivited link to give a piece of mind of not losing the clip while out on the trail.

gasser 03-15-2009 08:01 PM

My 07 250 didn't have one.

cal_tony 03-15-2009 08:02 PM

Well, now you have.

Time to get your grinder out
Oh, and you'll need a new master link.

Tony

bukwheat 03-15-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal_tony (Post 27813)
Well, now you have.

Time to get your grinder out
Oh, and you'll need a new master link.

Tony

Yep, time to do some grindin'...

Thanks, gents.

mountain thumper 03-15-2009 09:03 PM

i believe theres actually a tool for uninstalling and reinstalling isnt there? my buddies all ride crotch rockets and none of the have master links but they have this speciol tool to punch out and then re-rivet and link. ive thought about trying one but @ 100 bucks i cant afford one!

HydroDog 03-15-2009 09:30 PM

You can not reuse the rivited link because you have to grind the heads off first before you can use a chain breaker.
You will have to buy another link.

gasit16 03-15-2009 09:36 PM

I use a punch never had a problem.

cal_tony 03-15-2009 10:16 PM

I didn't mean to be flippant about your observation.

I wasn't expecting it to be an endless chain either. There are lots of posts on Thumpertalk.com especially in the DRZ section. (they come with the same Regina chain) about removing and replacing the endless chain and also lots of info about the tools required to replace the removed link with another press fit link.

I just use my $16 Harbor freight 4" grinder. Pick any link and grind it flush. Than use a thin punch and pop the link. when replacing the link with either type replacement make sure you use lots of grease and put back the orings front and back. I use vice grips to repress the new link on. With the orings in place, it takes quite a squeeze to put it back together. To avoid having to do it again I just use replaceable links.

Tony

PEB 03-15-2009 11:15 PM

On the subject of masterlinks, I install mine with the clip on the inside of the chain. It is a pain to install but if it were ever to come off, the master works its way out and falls off, no big deal. If the master lets loose installed with the clip to the outside the results could be very expensive.