Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Making an EC300 into a trials bike? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9476)

Keg 04-16-2011 05:32 PM

Making an EC300 into a trials bike?

I have an 03 EC300 that I have put in a lot of time and money into to fix it up.

I want to run it in an extreme event later this year, but would love to make it more 'trials like'. What should I do and how can I lighten it up??

- 13/52 gearing
- trials tyre on the rear and maybe the front.
- tugger straps
- hyde bash plate
- force radiator guards

I tried throwing an old mousse in the trials tyre, but it wouldn't throw out on the bead. Maybe a new 140/80-18 might work. Anyone have experience with trying this? I heard Chris Birch slits his mousse running an FIM tyre, but not sure how he slits it.

I had to run a steel KX subframe coz the alloy one was knackered. It is heavier and the 03 feels alot heavier than my 2011. Should I try and take it off and maybe even change the seat and rear guard more like a trials bike to lighten it off.

I could make a smaller fuel tank, I don't need a lot of range, but there is not point if it is a heavier aluminium one to replace the plastic.

What else can I do???

wence 04-16-2011 05:45 PM

pray:D....and start that salad and no beer diet you are always talking about???

tm_enduro 04-16-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keg (Post 61671)
I tried throwing an old mousse in the trials tyre, but it wouldn't throw out on the bead. Maybe a new 140/80-18 might work. Anyone have experience with trying this? I heard Chris Birch slits his mousse running an FIM tyre, but not sure how he slits it.

Put on a tubeless tire valve stem to help seat the tire. Slitting a mousse would likely give more traction, but would make the alread delicate mousse more fragile and likely to bunch up in one part of the tire. If you don't use a trials tire, you can place extra grooves in your knobby of sipe the knobs. I have seen guys removing rubber on the inside carcus of the tire to make it more flexible.

GMP 04-16-2011 06:22 PM

Funny, that's how my 250 is set up now for all the nasty stuff here. Tubliss system with the rear trials tire, forget the front and run a good knobby with Tubliss as well and a G2 throttle which you will want with 13/52 gearing on a 300.

Neil E. 04-16-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

What else can I do???

A flywheel weight should help.

HuskyDude 04-16-2011 07:01 PM

That's how I have my 300 set up. 13/52. Makes 1st gear sweet. I also have a Mitas ET-01 TL Trials waiting for the back. Just trying to get a couple more ride on my old tire.
I fastened a tugger strap to the back sub frame and it does come in handy at times. No pun intended.:D
For the weight you are saving I would just leave your fuel tank the same. For that matter at my age having a seat on a Trials bike ...is just fine by me.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...GGEC300011.jpg

stainlesscycle 04-16-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

running a tubliss system in the rear would work - definitely slime it though - i've found the only draw back with tubliss is if you rip knobs off, it can leak - slime stopped that problem..

Quote:

I could make a smaller fuel tank, I don't need a lot of range, but there is not point if it is a heavier aluminium one to replace the plastic.

90% of the weight of the tank is the fuel.. just run .75 gallons or whatever you think you will need...

personally i would also cut the seat down so it's easier to move around on the bike...that will give you more of a trials like feel maybe... also trials bars and pointing your levers way down will force you more into a trails like position.....

Keg 04-18-2011 05:56 AM

Is the G2 throttle to make it slower revving off the bottom? Could be interesting.

I am not real keen on the Tubliss considering the extreme location looks like it has alot of stuff that might tear a carcuss. Also a few guys I know stopped running them after slow leaking issues.

The seat is pretty low with not a huge amount of foam in it after 8 years. I am 6 foot 3. Plus I don't want to look like a free style wanker by cutting the seat down.

It is running stock springs which are too light for me, but good to bounce around on, should I leave them or put firmer rates in?

HuskyDude 04-18-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keg (Post 61732)
Is the G2 throttle to make it slower revving off the bottom? Could be interesting.

The beauty of the G2 is you get to go either way...
Slow opening at the beginning or Fast open. I believe it comes with 3 different cams to suit what you want.

GT throttle

Biff 04-18-2011 02:01 PM

Trusty PV cover for more low end

Biff

dank 04-18-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskyDude (Post 61737)
The beauty of the G2 is you get to go either way...
Slow opening at the beginning or Fast open. I believe it comes with 3 different cams to suit what you want.

GT throttle

if the newer style is the same as the old ones were then it comes with three cams: the x100, x200, and x400. the x100 is the standard throttle cam, and is just like the original throttle, the 200 lets the first 1/3ish of the throttle turn is tapered down a little to make the throttle let on less intense, the x400 is about 2/3ish of the throttle turn. basically the g2 makes it so the throttle pulls the cable less than stock for part of the twist, then opens it fully at the end of the twist. i think g2 also makes a quick turn throttle that pulls the cable faster than stock.
@OP: you could also find a trials throttle tube, i think there are two of them, which will make the throttle similar to a trials throttle.

2whlrcr 04-18-2011 04:14 PM

Rotate the bars forward and raise them if needed.

Keg 04-18-2011 04:40 PM

Thanks, I had a domino trials throttle somewhere. Cant remember if it was a slow or fast action though. I might try a G2.

I should put a powervalve cover on it too as I do stock the non adj type.

In trials I was always told don't be tempted to raise the bars even if you think it is more comfortable. Is that wrong?

HuskyDude 04-18-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keg (Post 61765)
I should put a powervalve cover on it too as I do stock the non adj type.

I have a "Trusty" on mine...love it.

Quote:

In trials I was always told don't be tempted to raise the bars even if you think it is more comfortable. Is that wrong?

Never heard of that one before. I added over 2" to my TXT.:D

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...sbarrisers.jpg

bchatt 04-18-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

I have found this to be very true. Raising the bars allows you to stand up straighter, which feels better, but it takes weight off the front wheel. Trials bikes need weight on the front wheel to stop the front pushing on full lock or tight turns.

Cruiser 04-18-2011 07:41 PM

I have a BN trials throttle I bought years ago and never installed,, the G2 came out and I went with that.. If your looking for one let me know.. It is even more spread than the lightest g2 cam..

2whlrcr 04-20-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Well I guess that depends upon how tall you are. Every one I know much over 6' raises them a little or gets a taller bend. It's probably more important to rotate them forward, because that helps get the weight on the front too.

Skidad 04-20-2011 04:58 PM

G2 also has a 300 cam, a 500 and maybe even a 600. Call and talk to him or email. He's a super nice guy and excellent customer support

dank 04-20-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidad (Post 61911)
G2 also has a 300 cam, a 500 and maybe even a 600. Call and talk to him or email. He's a super nice guy and excellent customer support

theyve come along way then, since the one on my bike was purchased anyhoo.

Keg 04-27-2011 06:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My 52 tooth sprocket came too late this week, but I still had a great time testing the new setup out a little forest near me with a lot of rocks and fallen trees.

I am looking at getting an Estart flywheel nut and making a flywheel weight to bolt on too.

HuskyDude 04-27-2011 08:43 AM

Great pics. Your runner her without a pipe guard????

lankydoug 04-27-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskyDude (Post 62397)
Great pics. Your runner her without a pipe guard????

I had the exact same thought.

dank 04-27-2011 08:58 AM

well i see why your having so much trouble getting it to be more trials like!!!!!!! YA FERGOT TO TAKE YER SEAT OFF!!!! :D just kiddin, but sweet pics!

swazi_matt 04-27-2011 09:31 AM

Fit a P3 carbon fiber exhaust guard (if your event is more than 2 months away ;-) and a trials bike fan if you planning an extreme event you want the engine to run properly the whole time although waiting for a bike to stop boiling is a good way to disguise exhaustion

Keg 04-28-2011 05:52 AM

I never have crashed a chamber too bad, and I have a few spares, but I thought of welding on another mount on the left side of the chamber/frame to stop it wrapping around the frame from crashing.

Taking the rear fender brace out was good as I can step off the back of the bike easily like a trials bike, but the back of the seat/frame is harsh if I don't step off far enough!

Keg 08-04-2011 05:09 PM

Just a quick update.

I am running a 12/52 gearing combo now. Forks are pushed through the clamps until they almost touch the bars. Bars are rolled back and make a difference as well.

With plenty of dragging the rear brake I can ride a complete circle on full lock. Trying to enter a trials event as they are talking about running a trail bike class in it. But I wouldn't just mind trying to ride C-grade against the trials bikes and see how far off the field I am.

Might shorten the chain a link too next. Power valve cover will go on today and still need to make a flywheel weight (mine is not like the early US bikes that can bolt on the flywheel.).

bchatt 08-04-2011 08:31 PM

I guess it could be fun, depending on how tight a turning circle you will need. My TLR250 twinshock would turn at near 90 degrees on full lock, and the trials sections I was riding at the time (classic / twinshock) often required full lock turns....

Nah, actually I'll rephrase that. It won't be fun. Going that slow is not fun.Yawn. It may be age appropriate, and it may be nice to return to the car for a cup of tea and a scone between each round, and it may be amusing to see grumpy old coots wearing berets on their bald heads drop their shiny BSA Bantams in the creek, but it ain't fun. In fact, looking back, the biggest regret I have about all the time I spent doing trials is the fact that I could have been having 10 times more fun on a decent bike fanging around like an out-of-control dickhead teenager (much like I do now - long may it last!)

skid jackson 08-04-2011 09:31 PM

ouch thats harsh!!! ... I have a beta 200 .... if it was the only bike I had I wouldn't be too bummed out ..... all that time on that trials bike made you a much better trail rider ....

Keg 08-05-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bchatt (Post 67963)
the biggest regret I have about all the time I spent doing trials is the fact that I could have been having 10 times more fun on a decent bike fanging around like an out-of-control dickhead teenager (much like I do now - long may it last!)

Don't worry I still fall into the out-of-control dickhead category too. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bak0p...eature=related

lonetree 08-06-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keg (Post 68015)
Don't worry I still fall into the out-of-control dickhead category too. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bak0p...eature=related

god that was funny, i was there and watch the crowd get roosted. hahahaha

Keg 08-25-2011 04:00 PM

The Harley Club of Victoria ran a trials event last weekend and also had a 'trail/enduro bike' class.

Only three of us turned up, EC300, CRF250X, KTM450EXC, but we all had a blast! 10 sections x 4 times made for plenty of riding in the hot sun.

I took 12 points on my first 10 sections, then 14 (inc a 5 pointer for falling off) and then 6 & 5 respectively. You have to learn to put your foot down and spin the bike, dropping only 1 point instead of trying to stay off the ground and ending up paddling through losing 3 points.

The club guys were real helpful showing us lines and even the A-grade riders didn't mind us getting in the way, usually offering for us to have a go at a section before them.

I will do another one of these events. The 12/52 gearing helped, but next time I might cut down the front guard so I can see the tire contact the ground like on a trials bike.

Pics are here of the event.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6063684&type=1