Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Other Stuff... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   portable generator/inverter (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16243)

john r b 11-30-2013 09:29 AM

portable generator/inverter

I'm getting prepared for the winter power outages. I've been looking at the Honda eu6500is gen/inverter. Kinda pricy. Does anyone have experience w/ Northern tool and there generators? Iam thinking of serviceability etc. My local Honda shop is here in town. Nearest Northern tool is 140mi away. Thanks fella's

rgranger 11-30-2013 03:50 PM

if you leave it stored for any time, drain the fuel!!!
It is very quite.

john r b 11-30-2013 04:03 PM

Thanks Rob, Every small motor i own gets the fuel run dry each storage peroid.Every thing(gas) around there has 10% ethanol.But no experience
w/ Northerntool generators?

bowhunter007 11-30-2013 04:09 PM

I'm a huge fan of Honda small engines...so far, never had one break down. I personally spend the extra money for a Honda powered...generator, power washer, etc. Just my $.02 My equipment gets used year round, so draining fuel isn't necessary.

john r b 11-30-2013 06:03 PM

Fyi they all have Honda motors, the ones i'm interested in.I guess it's about the generator it's self. I know Honda is great ,beaning a 6.5k inverter virsa a regular generator.And cost's

rgranger 11-30-2013 11:39 PM

So, this is all what I have heard from friends that have had the HF/NT generators. The motors can be fixed, very, very, very, very, very difficult getting it repaired of the generator/inverter takes a dump. Many will have decent motors and electronics from china, parts were hard or impossible to find. Several just junked the HF/NT/XX unit and wound up buying honda or genirac (sp).

rgranger 11-30-2013 11:43 PM

ps: I found out the hard way! Forgot and left the fuel on, it eventually ate the float needle and over 4 months it flooded the carb, cylinder, gear case, and exhaust. I replaced the needle, flushed everything and it was running fine so I ran it dry and it set for 4 weeks and now the carb is, not sure what the technical term is, "dicked" again? I have a bad arm right now, so it is now at the honda shop, pretty sure this is going to hurt.

Ud_luz 01-26-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgranger (Post 123355)
So, this is all what I have heard from friends that have had the HF/NT generators. The motors can be fixed, very, very, very, very, very difficult getting it repaired of the generator/inverter takes a dump. Many will have decent motors and electronics from china, parts were hard or impossible to find. Several just junked the HF/NT/XX unit and wound up buying honda or genirac (sp).

I bought a little HF Kipor inverter generator about 8 years ago. It has hundreds of hours on it and the only thing I've replaced was the fuel pump. I bought an EU2000i at the same time and I've never even started it.

Best $300 I ever spent.

Zman 01-26-2014 09:57 PM

I have switched over to Avgas in my generator and other small engine products that are stored for more than a few months. Avgas has a long shelf life and has no added alcohol. Avgas is a leaded so do not use it in anything with a catalytic converter.