Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Cylinder Base nuts (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11879)

Marki 03-10-2012 01:56 AM

Cylinder Base nuts

Hi Guys.
I've searched and found hints but can someone explain exactally how I tighten up the nuts on the base of the cylinder or point me to the right post?

What I have read suggests that they are 13mm nuts but mine are 14mm (1998 250). Is that correct? Fiche just lists as M10.

Jakobi 03-10-2012 02:41 AM

Can't get a socket on them so have to use a good ring spanner. You might not have clearance particularly around the ones inside the powervalves so you may have to grind some of the meat off the outer edges of the spanner. As for torquing to spec I have no idea. You can crunch some numbers to work out the correct specs using an extension etc with your torque wrench.

I'll probably get cained for it, but I just do them up by hand. You can always practice torquing something else a bit to get the feel for how much you're looking at too.

Marki 03-10-2012 03:43 AM

Torque would not be a problem if I could actually get a spanner on there! I suspect that the wrong ones have been fitted at some point which is the reason why I'm struggling. I have ground a spanner down to just a couple of millimetre thick on the sidewalls and there just isn't the room to turn the nut.

Jakobi 03-10-2012 04:30 AM

Someone must have had something to put them on there though. How very strange.

If its really that tight maybe you can use the dremel and cut a lip into the side of the nut and use something to punch it off.

Marki 03-10-2012 06:40 AM

I brought the bike as a project and the cylinder was already off. I've been searching and it appears that I can get M10 with 13mm across the flats as opposed to the standard 14mm, nearly 1gbp ($1.60) each!:eek: .

lonetree 03-10-2012 06:47 AM

i just had my cylinder off the other day and im sure they were 13mm nuts, and i reckon you would have heaps of problems with 14mm in there, the 13's are bad enough.
couldnt you just go buy some high tensile nuts from a bolt shop?

Marki 03-10-2012 08:27 AM

If only it was that simple! I'll have to order some and wait.

Jakobi 03-10-2012 11:31 AM

Where abouts are you located that you'd have to order them in?

Just about anywhere in Aus we could head down to the local fastener store and grab a handfull.

I can sneak in the shed tomorrow and drop a 13mm ring end over my bike if you need us to confirm it for you, but pretty certain mine are 13's from memory too.

eff 03-10-2012 02:56 PM

I cut a 13mm spanner and welded it to a 3/8 drive socket and use it on my torque wrench. Note that it needs to be used at 90? for the torque reading to be correct without computing the adjustment for the extra length.

GMP 03-10-2012 04:22 PM

I do the same thing, but just use a 13m/15mm box wrencs, 13mm side ground down to fit, and drive the 15mm side with a 15mm hex driver on a torque wrench.