Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   E85 fuel (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7333)

fkmf6 05-18-2010 02:23 PM

E85 fuel

does anyone use it and if so what are there results? tuning wise what needs to be done on 2t and 4t:)

Kurdt 05-18-2010 04:07 PM

Ethanol is not a good thing. Alcohol attracts water and destroys certain types of rubber. With Ethanol you will always have water in your fuel.
As far as tuning, run fatter jetting. Ethanol runs lean.

gasgasman 05-18-2010 04:50 PM

Our gas here in Houston has 10% ethanol.
I ran this in my 2001 Gas Gas.
The bike sat for 3 months and the complete cylinder,rings, power valve were all gummed up and rusty looking. The piston was totally siezed up in the cylinder.

roostafish 05-18-2010 05:12 PM

E85 Es no bueno. If that's all that is available, the bike will run on it, but you'd be best served to drain the tank and carb completely. Aviation fuel isn't that much more money than plain ol petrol and it's more consistent.

jostby 05-18-2010 06:02 PM

Try it and tell us!
In the automotive world it equals less horsepower and less miles per gallon. I'm unsure what the benefits are at all. It is supposed to create less emissions but if you are creating more exhaust per mile I don't see where that does anything except help the farmers that grow the corn (and etc) that it's made from. Why would you want to run it?

dank 05-18-2010 07:52 PM

sorry to steal the thread but....
going off that idea of less mpg=just as much emissions, i have watched and researched alot, and have found something almost comical in how stupid our government is. here goes:
My brother bought a 1966 ford F100 with a 3 speed transmission, 2wd and a 4.9 I6 motor. obviously carburated, with no emissions control stuff, full steel frame, cast iron block. gets 18-22 mpg
my brother also bought a 1994 mazda B3000 4x4(equivalent to a ford ranger, just a few minor differences and stickers) that has a 3.0 liter V6, a 5 speed manual transmission,and all sorts of emissions control crap, EFI, and you know what kind of milage it gets? 17-21.
Chevy advertised its 09 silverado 1500 2wd with a 5.3L V8 as getting an average 18mpg and that was the best fuel economy in its class.
how is it that in 43 years, with all of the new motor technology, better materials, and better knowledge of engines, that we have not been able to create a truck that gets better than 20mpg average? Emissions control. now the thing i see as folly is that since the emissions control stuff is making our cars burn more gas, it is just making the problem that much worse. wouldnt you think somebody would have thought of this by now? and yet they just keep making emissions standards stricter, forcing the car companies to make even worse vehicles. ug.

fkmf6 05-18-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurdt (Post 43937)
Ethanol is not a good thing. Alcohol attracts water and destroys certain types of rubber. With Ethanol you will always have water in your fuel.
As far as tuning, run fatter jetting. Ethanol runs lean.

thanks kurdt

fkmf6 05-18-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 43938)
Our gas here in Houston has 10% ethanol.
I ran this in my 2001 Gas Gas.
The bike sat for 3 months and the complete cylinder,rings, power valve were all gummed up and rusty looking. The piston was totally siezed up in the cylinder.

thanks gasgasman

fkmf6 05-18-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostby (Post 43945)
Try it and tell us!
In the automotive world it equals less horsepower and less miles per gallon. I'm unsure what the benefits are at all. It is supposed to create less emissions but if you are creating more exhaust per mile I don't see where that does anything except help the farmers that grow the corn (and etc) that it's made from. Why would you want to run it?

we use this fuel in our turbocharged race cars with great results and 95c a ltr compared to $1.45 ltr for 98 fuel

fkmf6 05-18-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostafish (Post 43941)
E85 Es no bueno. If that's all that is available, the bike will run on it, but you'd be best served to drain the tank and carb completely. Aviation fuel isn't that much more money than plain ol petrol and it's more consistent.

thanks roostafish