Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   GasGas Member Polls (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What is your favorite GasGas engine size? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1831)

MattR 12-05-2007 09:38 PM

What is your favorite GasGas engine size?

Please select a size.
Let's see how these results turn out.

Bearman 12-06-2007 03:45 AM

Ive ridden an ;06 FSE450, an '07 300 and i own an '03 200. The 300 is the bike that i found most capable. it had lots of torque when needed and it had a fair amount of top end too. You could ride it slightly slower like a four stroke or you could ride it hard like an old school two-stroke.

The 450 was nice but too aggressive off the bottom.

I love my 200 but it could do with a little more bottom end. Ill get a 52 tooth sprocket in place of a 50 and if that doesnt work ill buy an LTR powervalve cover

GMP 12-06-2007 07:05 AM

250. The do it all bike.

To complement the 250, I will be looking for a 125 to set up for hare scrambles and south NJ runs come spring.

MattR 12-07-2007 08:37 PM

With already 120 views, we only got 27 votes. :confused:

Come on folks... don't forget to vote. Please select on the poll above.

Thanks!

Dave 12-08-2007 08:02 AM

I've ridden only the extremes of the two stroke line. The 125 was nice, it got me on a Gas Gas in the first place, but 125s aren't my style.

eff 12-08-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 10676)
With already 120 views, we only got 27 votes. :confused:

Come on folks... don't forget to vote. Please select on the poll above.

Thanks!

Since I've only ridden my 250, I didn't feel qualified to vote. I guess I did when I bought a 250 LMAO.

I really look at Glenn's advice and feel I bought the right bike for myself.:)

coolum74 12-08-2007 08:39 PM

Voting

I'm in the same boat as eff. First GASGAS and as of yet have not had the opportunity to ride any other Gassers, But am stoked to own one of these weapons!!!!!! My vote had to go to the 450....sorry.

warnzie 12-10-2007 05:30 PM

Hay guys, though I have only ridden my 04 EC200 and no other gassers, i must say I love the 200 engine. As im not a aggressive rider but more of an trailrider, the 200 engine has the most perfect balance between user-friendly power and aggressiveness. Its a engine which lets you as the rider make it what you want it to be - either a racer or a trailbike. I absolutely love it! A great allround engine to keep you satisfied for a long time to come.

ramcclure200 12-10-2007 06:15 PM

I agree warnzie, my current ride is a 2004 DE200 and so far the bike has been a blast to ride. You do give up some speed on the fire roads to the bigger bikes but when the trails tighten, that’s when you really start having FUN!!
All around the 200 is a perfect bike for me and the kind of trails we mainly ride only make it better.

I was riding a 1996 KDX200 before purchasing the Gasser in 2005 and let me tell you there is no comparison the gasser barks where as the KDX made you ring its neck to make it go.
I’ve settled on riding 200’s because they are so much more flickable than 250’s and 300’s.
My friend rides a 300 and his son has a 250 (pumpkin’s :( ) and I shutter to say I’ve ridden both, I do like the hit of a 250 and the shear torque of the 300 (with auto clutch), but each time I couldn’t wait to get back on mine because I believe the 200 has everything I need too ride with a big grin :D .

KTM just held a free ride on new bikes and the main thing I heard commented on was the surprise they all got when they rode the 200. Most of them rode it several times…. Hmmmm!!!

Cruiser 12-11-2007 05:46 AM

I have a 250 but I'm eagerly awaiting the 515! There is more DS type riding right out the door available to me at the moment.

Rick 12-12-2007 09:59 AM

I really like my 99 EC200. I would love to have 07/08 200, but I would be disapointed if the newer 200 did not perform (motor wise)like my 99 EC200.

I do have limited time on a XC 250. My riding buddy, rides a EC300. We do swap bikes, and I find myself getting lazy on the trail with the 300, the 300 really does not suite my riding style. With the 200 I like to point and shoot, brake drag slide turns, keeping her wound up and hang on! The midrange is hit is pretty smooth, but it will let you know when it comes on the pipe! I am pushing 46 years young and I am a die hard 2 stroke guy.

Long live the 200:D

GasGas 12-12-2007 07:48 PM

I have an 05 MC 125 and a 03 FSE 450. I have also ridden the 200ec ,250mc, 250 ec, 300ec. I think that the 250 was a lot of fun and a good do it all bike. Would love to try a 07 450 as the 03 was a hoot of a trail bike. But if I was buying a new one I'd have to lean towards a 250.

Boomhauer 12-12-2007 08:23 PM

Well I am now a fan of the 250's! I loved my 04 300 but the torque pulled on my arms pretty good. The 250 just plain rips and is easy on the arms. Wait a minute my bike is a 275.:D

gasit16 01-04-2008 09:10 PM

I have been riding 300 2 strokes for years then went to 4 strokes now i am back on the 300.

thumpercb 01-19-2008 06:39 AM

I ride a 250...

I think the 250 is the bike for me.im 35..275 lbs I have riden all of the gasgas 2 stroke line,and one fse450. all my riding crew have somehow became very lazy and went from 200.250, s too 300,s...:confused: I think it is some sort of middle age crissis that has struck them as they keep on telling me it is so easy to ride a 300..as I contemplate this I realize that they started out playing video games of mx and I think they are returning to that mentality,,I think if the GPR wasnt in the way they would mount a play station controler to the bar clamp..and hook it up../I can hear it now...to hit this hill all you need to do is (a,b left,bbac,righta,toggleup.):rolleyes: :rolleyes:
then in the real world I see in there eyes fatigue(arm jerk,fighting to stay on) setting in about 4 hours into the rides and I hear that (this thing is kicking the shizz out of me)and I just think im tired but im not that tired.Now understand that the 4 hour rides are in very very tough technical and knarley rock out cropings we carve a hill climb through..but if we go elsewhere were usually good for say 6 to 8 hrs..Im the one needing to loose weight in the group the worst but all the 300 riders have gained a couple pounds since switching,I remember talking to Jim Cook at loretta lynnes a couple years back and he stated that the 250 was the hot rod ..and he was retiring to the old mans bike the 300..well put Jim:)

AZRickD 01-23-2008 08:07 AM

I often hear that dichotomy between the KTM and GG 250s and 300s.

"The 250 is the hotrod." "Best do-it-all bike." "Easier to ride."

"The 300 is the torque machine." "Rips my arms off." "Lazy-man's bike."

Well? Which is it? :D

I'm wondering if the folks that think the 300 rips their arms off are riding it differently? I've ridden KTM and GG 250s and 300s and I've not really thought of the 300 as an arm-ripper by comparison, though I'd consider a G2 Throttle Cam one either of them.

Rick

Bearman 01-23-2008 04:59 PM

Hey Rick,

The '07 300 i rode was completely stock except for jetting. You could ride it so it rips your arms off, or you could ride it mid pace and it was still happy and worked well. Thats why i think of this bike as the do it all bike, because it will do it all, at any pace

fury1 01-23-2008 05:37 PM

having a 300,I dont see the hype about them being too much pull on the bottom or too much for a longer race,I havent gotten exhausted once during a long race,never gotten stuck on any hills I couldnt get up and have never ever flipped the bike over,the beauty of my 300 is that its sooo controllable in any situation,no surprises,I know what the bike will do and when it will do it,it tracks much better than my last two gassers,a 200 and a 125 ever did,twist and go,you need more its always there,going slow,hardly ever stall the bike either,who knows maybe I should ride a newer 250 and see if I could ride faster on a 250? sounds like the guys with the 250s are scared of the 300s power!:D

AZRickD 01-23-2008 11:56 PM

In our poll, the 300 beats the 250 by 60% to 30% (with the others sharing the remaining 10%).

I wonder how the 250/300 would behave with an auto-clutch?

GMP 01-26-2008 08:02 AM

Rick,

Both Jim Cook over on smackovermotorsports.com and EricK have been running them for awhile now and really like them. If I get a second GG (125 or 200) I'm tempted to try one. Too bad they don't make the Pro model for the GG. Perhaps it would be worth a call to Rekluse, to see if the Pro basket for a Honda could be adapted to the GG gear. I'd have to see the parts in hand.

stvbird 01-27-2008 11:13 AM

My last two stroke was a KTM 300. I loved that thing and thought the torque was magic. Then I got a KTM 525XCW (sill have it) which is awesome anywhere you can go really fast, but I missed the snap of weight of a two stroke in the woods so recently got a EC250 for a woods bike. I thought I wanted another 300, but to tell you the truth, I think I like the lack of bottom end better. I feel like it's a good compromise between a 200 and 300 because it's got plenty of go-fast power but the soft bottom end (compared to a 300) keeps me fresh longer and I don't get arm pump quite as much. I guess it's a case of less is more, or the porrige is not to hot or not too cold but is just right, something like that.

AZRickD 01-27-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 12690)
Rick,

Too bad they don't make the Pro model for the GG. Perhaps it would be worth a call to Rekluse, to see if the Pro basket for a Honda could be adapted to the GG gear.

Or, there is EMF on a GG300...

From 2004 --

http://www.woodsracer.com/portal/for...oto=nextnewest

Quote:

just test rode a Gas Gas EC300 with a EMF Clutch installed at the LTR Enduro at Forest Hill, Louisiana. The bike belonged to Jack Schidmier of Semmens, Alabama. The clutch works great. It's almost like cheating. You can forget about grabbing the clutch lever. I rode 60 miles and never went so fast in the woods. We are planning on buying two 300s and installing the EMF on both.
I already e-mailed them and they still do GG.

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/dirt.shtml

GMP 01-29-2008 12:30 PM

Besides the ability to eaisly go back to a standard clutch, the Rekluse has a distinct advantage in that there is limited lockup torque, just like a standard clutch. Youngworth is a sharp guy. The EFM locks up harder with RPM, with no limit, and can be a potential problem if your not carefull on the asphalt or hard high traction terrain. Broken gears have been associated with this, on all bikes.

The Ned 02-16-2009 05:36 AM

Go the mighty 300:)

Mikael 02-27-2009 01:10 PM

Hi guys ,

Ive ridden / owned several 2-stroke enduro bikes in last 20 years . Mainly 250 2 strokes , Japs & Euros . Original enduros & cross bikes to work in enduro/woods . My last 3 bikes has been GGs ( 300 & 200 ECs ). The latest 200 -06 seems to be the best bike I owned ( so far ) . With correct carb re-tuning ( jetting ) added with PW - cover & splitstream its engine becomes something else what it is with factory settings , way more torque with clean running from down to top . 200cc is light , fast and easy to ride because of its more usable powercurve . Just re-sprung it for your weight and revalve the fork & shock how you want it to behave and the package is ready for race or hobby riding.

Jim Cook 03-04-2009 03:39 PM

The 250 is easier to ride aggressively in the tight woods. The extra torque of the 300 makes traction more "touchy" while hard on the gas at lower rpms, expecially in rocky off-camber turns.

OMT: While the Rekluse is great in most situations, I can go faster in the tight single track, and climb hills better with the absolute clutch control that the lever gives me. The stock clutch lets me moderate power to the ground by using the clutch.

I did R&D work for Rekluse with my 2006 DE300 for 2.5 years. I liked the auto clutch a lot. Wheelie turns on 2' wide trail were a snap. When working trail, not having to deal with the clutch while stopping to staple an arrow to a tree, was a definite plus.

However, using a trials tire in the rugged Ouachita and Ozark Mountains in Arkansas, I had to drop my gearing to 12/48 (13/52) to be able to climb as well as I could with the stock clutch and 13/49 gearing. (I could climb hills better with Joshua's 250 with manual clutch, than I could with my 300.)

This would manifest itself the most when I had to stop in the middle of a steep hill climb, due to a mistake of mine, or of someone just ahead of me. With the 13/49 gearing that I like so well, and the absolute traction of a trials tire, the engagement of the Rekluse would result in an instant wheelie; not a good thing when one is already on a 45 degree angle.
I found that I could remedy this by dropping the gearing so that the forward speed at the time of the Rekluse's engagement would allow me to "crawl" up the mountain, keeping the front wheel on the ground.

I am now back to the original GasGas clutch set-up. I'm enjoying the extra control and flexibility of the manual clutch. (I'm also enjoying the ability to bump start the bike when taking off downhill.) High speed 180 degree turns (in tight terrain) are made faster and easier with a little fanning of the clutch.

The Rekluse and a trials rear tire are the ultimate set-up for "go anywhere" riding. You will get forward traction with little or no fuss.
However, for me in most conditions, it is faster and more fun with a manual clutch and a knobby tire.

Currently, I am preparing the parts to put a 250 top end on my 300. It's not a permanent thing, but just something I want to do for a while.

Good Riding and Best Regards!

Jim

GMP 03-04-2009 08:07 PM

The 250 is a great do it all bike. Enough power to climb the monster hills up in Hancock and not too much for the tight woods in NJ. I can have only one bike so the 250 is it.

IMO, the trials tire is worth more in the hellish rocks than the auto clutch.

SpeedyManiac 03-04-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 27436)
The 250 is a great do it all bike. Enough power to climb the monster hills up in Hancock and not too much for the tight woods in NJ. I can have only one bike so the 250 is it.

IMO, the trials tire is worth more in the hellish rocks than the auto clutch.

+1, though the auto clutch is really, really handy. I'm going to put 10-15 tungsten balls in to get it to lock up harder and then it should be near perfect (perfect once I get a Rekluse Pro).

Jim Cook 03-05-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac (Post 27442)
+1, though the auto clutch is really, really handy. I'm going to put 10-15 tungsten balls in to get it to lock up harder and then it should be near perfect (perfect once I get a Rekluse Pro).

Yep. First, try 10 tungsten balls with 20 steel balls, before you go with 13 or more tungsten balls. Ten was the ideal set-up I worked out with my 300, before I was happy with the Rekluse.

Ten tungsten balls will give you full clutch lockup pressure at the low rpms that the GasGas 300 engine really starts producing it's considerable torque.
That set-up will also let it work compatibly with the "no-slip" forward traction of the trials tire.

Good Riding!

Jim

steve 03-23-2009 05:21 PM

300 the best overall motor!!!!!!!!

kendunn 11-09-2010 09:48 AM

I ride an 06 DE300. My son has an 03 EC250, the 250 feels totally different than my 300. If you are a roost/full lock up/roost and repeat rider the 250 might be better. The 300 is a lot easier to ride slow, but still will rock and roll when needed. The set up I am riding now is the 300 with a trials tire. Its funny, I am riding now with a guy on a KTM 450EXC w/ knobbie, races GNCC, and he takes off like a bat outa hell, ripping and tearing, and here I come "ping....ping.....ping" but totally in control. He looks worlds faster, until he is picking his bike up dragging it back up the hill and I have to stop and wait on him. I am old enough to be his dad, BTW.

There is this one little off camber hill that seems like I am the only one that can get up. I can't even ride my sons 250 up it, it spins out. I took my KTM friend over it last weekend and I looked back and he was pushing his up it. I just creep up it, barley fast enough to keep from stalling, and it goes right on every time. He has commented how he can't believe how I can lug the bike down to nothing and keep on going, where we ride (rough single track that is just ridden by a couple of people) that can be a huge advantage. I swear I have heard the 300 go totally silent before and then it take right back off going UP a nasty rutted and rocky hill.

Bottom line, if the trails you ride keep you in 3rd and 4th gear, get the 250. If you ride in 1st and 2nd, get the 300. If you ride in 5th and 6th get an XR650R!!!!

speeddemon 11-09-2010 11:08 AM

I have ridden a GG 250 2 stroke, a GG 250 4 stroke and i own a GG Halley 450 (fsr 450 engine, shorter suspension (seat height 89 cm), lesser quality brake components). To be quite honest the 250 2 stroke scared the shit out of me :eek:. The 250 4 stroke was an easy ride for me but didn't have enough torque at low rpm to really enjoy myself. I love my 450 Halley because it has a strong and very torquey engine and because it's a good bike for a shortie like me who would otherwise had to buy something like a Beta Alp 4.0, kawasaki KLX 250, yamaha XT 500... Since i have had 2 1000cc +140 hp road bikes something with less then 0,3 hp per kg doesn't excite me anymore. In the future i want to test a GG 200 2 stroke because i think that would be my ideal 2 stroke engine size.

gettintall 11-11-2010 09:03 AM

1999 xc250

Been riding for the better part of 40 years and the gas gas is the funnest,has the highest grin factor of any bike I have ever rode.

motorhead 11-15-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendunn (Post 51104)
I swear I have heard the 300 go totally silent before and then it take right back off going UP a nasty rutted and rocky hill.!

WHAT HE SAID!!! If that quote's not a script for a gas gas commercial - I dont know what is!
BTW I ride a 05' 300 and just bought my son a "as new" 02 250cx

Tlineman 04-10-2011 10:10 PM

I've ridden Yamaha's since 2000, owning a YZ426, a WR250F, a WR450 and two YZ250's. The safest bike I've ever ridden was the 250F. I'd wear out front tires faster than backs and never had the out of control type of crashes. The 426 and 450 were animals, I'll never own a big bore 4 stroke again. The 250 2 stk's were weapons, super reliable, tough and extremely low on maintenance.

With my last YZ250 being flat out worn out, I decided to try out a true European Off Road Bike, a GG 300EC. I've only got roughly 5 hrs on the bike so far, but the motor is what has impressed me most. You can climb hills at 1/4 throttle. I could do this on my YZ too, at 1/2 throttle giving the clutch a work out but this 300 is amazing. So far I'm less than impressed with the suspension. I find it deflects like a bouncy ball in a pin ball alley, but perhaps its still breaking in. Time will tell and hopefully I don't have to invest too much into the suspension, but motor wise, I think I'm in love.

BTW, I'm a 215lb in street clothes midpack AA rider.

Jim Cook 04-11-2011 10:22 AM

From the factory, the gassers' suspension is generally set up for 170# riders.
At 215#, you will need to at least put in new springs to match your weight.
(Ask someone else who is a better suspension tuner, but probably .44 rate fork springs and 5.4 shock spring. You might even need one rate stiffer springs.)
On my 2006 DE300, I think that I have .46 and 5.6 springs, front and rear. The rear was that stiff, stock, because I have the MX rear shock.

Good Luck and Good Riding!

Jim

southbound 05-23-2011 09:13 AM

How about more people chime in on this one. I'm in the market for a 2012 GG and cannot decide on the 250 or the 300. I have not ridden the 250, but did ride a few sections on a 2011 300.

I'm 5'5", 155 pounds, and ride/race expert. The area where we ride is mostly 1-3rd gear, roots, rocks, and steep elevation changes.

I'm a lugger, rarely getting on the pipe. I like to run a gear high and steer with the foot pegs through the trees.

I currently ride a KTM 200 and a YZ250 2T.

HuskyDude 05-23-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southbound (Post 63782)

I'm a lugger, rarely getting on the pipe. I like to run a gear high and steer with the foot pegs through the trees.

That right there says it all...get a 300 cuz they're a tractor down low but can still rip pretty good.

firffighter 05-23-2011 01:51 PM

Agreed.

I had an EC250 and now a DE300.

The EC250 is an awesome bike, but it is a goin' machine! It has a good amount of get up and go, but it a lot of fun. It revs quicker than the 300.

The 300 is somewhat of a "docile" machine, if that is possible with a 300cc 2-stroke. It has so much great, useable bottom end and the delivery is linear with no surprises.

I find the 300 easier to ride in technical terrain and if you ride a gear high, there is no better bike IMO.

BTW, I also have had a Yamaha WR250f and WR450f and agree with Tlineman that I will never go with a 450 thumper again. I acutally liked the 250 thumper, but the Gasser 300 is just plain awesome!

waycrazy 05-25-2011 11:16 AM

I like the EC300 because I have short arms and I am trying to make them longer.:D