Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Swingarm and Linkage Bearings (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4452)

blitz11 04-11-2009 08:34 PM

Swingarm and Linkage Bearings

Howdee,

Anybody have a better recommendation for swingarm and linkage bearings? I replaced all of those last spring, and this year they're shot already. This is really getting old. My kid's KTM is ridden just as hard, and its swing arm bearings are fine. My XR250 went five year w/o needing bearings.

Anyone try allballs racing bearings? I am all ears.

Thanks.

blitz

2 strokes 4 life 04-11-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitz11 (Post 28886)
Howdee,

Anybody have a better recommendation for swingarm and linkage bearings? I replaced all of those last spring, and this year they're shot already. This is really getting old. My kid's KTM is ridden just as hard, and its swing arm bearings are fine. My XR250 went five year w/o needing bearings.

Anyone try allballs racing bearings? I am all ears.

Thanks.

blitz

I have well over 300+ hours on the stock bearings, bushings, and seals. This is the first time I am going to replace them.

I think you cant do much better than stock.

What did you run before?

iancp5 04-12-2009 12:18 AM

I used All Balls. No problems.

nick790 04-12-2009 03:27 AM

Has anyone put greese nipples into the rear linkage before? seen some people mod Husky linkages, might be an idear for longer bearing life?

blitz11 04-12-2009 04:48 AM

Bought the bike used, so don't know the original. When I bought the bike, I pulled everything apart and greased it. Looked OK. (It was a low hour bike). Went to grease it the following year (maybe put 40 hours on it), and the bearings were destroyed. Of course, I was pressed for time, so I called GoFasters for the kit they sell (Moose, I believe) instead of the individual bearings and seals (didn't want to fish through the fische)

Maybe rode 35 hours this year (see broken wrist), and although the needles aren't flat like last time, the bushings are worn, especially the swingarm bushings. No heat treat there. What cheap junk.

Have you had your linkage apart in that 300 hours? You might be in for a surprise if you haven't.

Is there an OEM kit? Or do I have to pick out pieces? I don't recall a kit on the fische.

If no kit, I will put together a spreadsheet, i guess, that covers the bushings and bearings, and sent it off to GoFasters for OEM unless someone has had good luck with AllBalls ( iancp5 has) or Pivot Works. It's not that I am cheap, i just don't have much time to jack with this. It's insane that someone sells a kit which lasts only 40 hours of not very hard riding. Nice quality control. Jeesh.

Thanks very much.

blitz

2 strokes 4 life 04-12-2009 09:56 AM

I have just took apart my linkage and it is sitting out in front of me. It has almost no play at all. The only reason I am replacing them is just for good measure and I want my bike to feel new again.

If it was me I would try OEM before an aftermarket kit.

GMP 04-12-2009 11:02 AM

If your going through bearings your doing something wrong, either with the installation process, grease, or pressure washing the bike. As an experiment a few years ago, I went a full season without servicing the linkage, and my bearings were like the day I last greased them. Proper installation (press, no hammering), new o-rings, Jet Lube moly paste or Castrol Pyroplex Blue grease, and NO PRESSURE WASHER will give excellent service. Its wet and rocky here so the bike sees hard use. After owning three GGs and riding with others I have to say they are well above average as far as suspension linkage durability, certainly better than the disposable KTM heim joints on the PDS shock.

Rick 04-12-2009 11:05 AM

When I changed my suspension bearings last time, over 2 years ago I installed the OEM stuff. I feel the grease plays a major factor in bearing life. If you can keep out water and dirt from entering the bearing area you've won half the battle.

My grease of choice is: https://shoponline.wurthusa.com/wurt...log/group.jsp/

Brian VT 04-12-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 28909)
Jet Lube moly paste

+2 on the Jet Lube. No replacing bearings. Just clean and regrease once a year.

blitz11 04-12-2009 03:01 PM

Pretty sure not doing anything wrong. Power washers are the work of the devil. I avoid them like the plague.

Always press, never hammer. Alignment is good as nothing is forced to fit.

I'll work through the OEM stuff. Like I said, the bike wasn't new, so I don't know what came in. Last time, I was in a hurry, so I think Moose was the last kit.

I'll go OEM and use the Jet Lube. I've been using either Maxima or Bel-Ray grease. That grease works ok in the KTM and the Yamaha, but maybe not the GG. I'll buy some, and redo it.

Thanks.

blitz