Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Reports (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Friday "skip work" ride report (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15325)

pscook 06-28-2013 10:35 PM

Friday "skip work" ride report

Sunny skies, screw work! I picked up a 2011 EC300 last night, and went for the test ride today. I was not disappointed. I went to Walker Valley in NW Washington (hour north of Seattle) to meet with a fellow smoker rider. Long story- I went to work early as I had a bunch of stuff to do before riding. Went to bed very, very late as I had to prep for a ride and was not even CLOSE to being ready. So, asleep around 10:45 (had trouble falling asleep, of course), up at 3. Working by 4 AM writing some crap documents before my day job started. 5 starts my work day, so I dig into my regular workload knowing that in three short hours I will be on the road to salvation.

7:00 AM. Training starts. I get to train some people on the use of software and hardware. I'm not a techie, I'm an end user who knows a bunch of stuff about the product. Anyway, the group starts asking silly questions. 7:45. I try wrapping up. Nope. 7:50, I try again. Thwarted. 8:00, I'm gone. Hit the road, I'm on target (well, within 15 minutes. Bill knows about this...) for timely arrival.

Arrive at trail head in work clothes, get taunted for being "slick." It's okay. Roll out the new toy, get dressed, go to check tire pressure. Bib mousse up front, off to the rear with the gauge. No stem. Seriously? Seriously. Stem is missing. Zero psi day for Phil!

Start bike, it runs. Perfect, couldn't ask for more. Hit trails, wet and rooty. Zounds! The forks seem to soak up the little stuff. Perfect. Hit faster trails, it just keep soaking up the trash. Hit some gnarly, rooty, wet, rocky stuff. *yawn* Yeah, the forks don't care.

Anyway, I'm terrible at this. I can spin a yarn in person, typing sucks. Bike performed flawlessly. I am super impressed with the whole package, I just need to make some adjustments for preference. New 'Zokes are light years ahead of the 43 WP's, or I just didn't have them adjusted properly (most likely scenario, I'm useless tuning my own crap).

That's it. New bike, great day, fun ride. Could not ask for a better day to skip work to hit the trails. Now, off to sort my home chores to keep the missus from getting more sore at me. Time to renew the kitchen pass!

StuJohnson 06-28-2013 11:09 PM

Congrats - That was fast!!!
Where are the pics?
And
Where did you find the bike?

Beta Steve 06-28-2013 11:11 PM

Those aren't even the new[er] 48's, just lowly 45s. John at Moto Pro is extremely good at what he does. Ride right over what used to slow you down, while wondering why that trail trash ever bothered you. He did the same for my equally bad talked Sachs units. And the back end is so good you didn't even notice it. Sounds like another pro suspension is a must convert to me...
Seriously glad you like it, can't wait for you to get it sorted to your taste and ride with you. Shouldn't take long, maybe the poker run next weekend the 7th?

twowheels 06-29-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscook (Post 115094)
Sunny skies, screw work! I picked up a 2011 EC300 last night, and went for the test ride today. I was not disappointed. I went to Walker Valley in NW Washington (hour north of Seattle) to meet with a fellow smoker rider. Long story- I went to work early as I had a bunch of stuff to do before riding. Went to bed very, very late as I had to prep for a ride and was not even CLOSE to being ready. So, asleep around 10:45 (had trouble falling asleep, of course), up at 3. Working by 4 AM writing some crap documents before my day job started. 5 starts my work day, so I dig into my regular workload knowing that in three short hours I will be on the road to salvation.

7:00 AM. Training starts. I get to train some people on the use of software and hardware. I'm not a techie, I'm an end user who knows a bunch of stuff about the product. Anyway, the group starts asking silly questions. 7:45. I try wrapping up. Nope. 7:50, I try again. Thwarted. 8:00, I'm gone. Hit the road, I'm on target (well, within 15 minutes. Bill knows about this...) for timely arrival.

Arrive at trail head in work clothes, get taunted for being "slick." It's okay. Roll out the new toy, get dressed, go to check tire pressure. Bib mousse up front, off to the rear with the gauge. No stem. Seriously? Seriously. Stem is missing. Zero psi day for Phil!

Start bike, it runs. Perfect, couldn't ask for more. Hit trails, wet and rooty. Zounds! The forks seem to soak up the little stuff. Perfect. Hit faster trails, it just keep soaking up the trash. Hit some gnarly, rooty, wet, rocky stuff. *yawn* Yeah, the forks don't care.

Anyway, I'm terrible at this. I can spin a yarn in person, typing sucks. Bike performed flawlessly. I am super impressed with the whole package, I just need to make some adjustments for preference. New 'Zokes are light years ahead of the 43 WP's, or I just didn't have them adjusted properly (most likely scenario, I'm useless tuning my own crap).

That's it. New bike, great day, fun ride. Could not ask for a better day to skip work to hit the trails. Now, off to sort my home chores to keep the missus from getting more sore at me. Time to renew the kitchen pass!

Good times! Congrats on the new bike.

Rick 06-29-2013 01:07 AM

Enjoy!!!!!!! I liked your report....no b.s.......love it

pscook 06-29-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuJohnson (Post 115096)
Congrats - That was fast!!!
Where are the pics?
And
Where did you find the bike?

No pics from the ride, was focused on having an absolute blast. Have some video, will trim and upload some clips this evening.

Got it via the guy right below you here. He traded it in on a new Beta, so I snatched it up before it hit the sales floor. Still had the dirt from his last ride in the skid plate. Quite the action to get it sorted out. Well worth the effort.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgastrials (Post 115097)
Those aren't even the new[er] 48's, just lowly 45s. John at Moto Pro is extremely good at what he does. Ride right over what used to slow you down, while wondering why that trail trash ever bothered you. He did the same for my equally bad talked Sachs units. And the back end is so good you didn't even notice it. Sounds like another pro suspension is a must convert to me...
Seriously glad you like it, can't wait for you to get it sorted to your taste and ride with you. Shouldn't take long, maybe the poker run next weekend the 7th?

Which poker run? Post up a link and maybe I can consider. Oh, wait, have a wedding on Saturday, probably have to give up Sunday for family/house chores. Walker Valley on the fourth or the fifth, early ride planned. I'll send you info but that is a bit of a drive for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 115107)
Enjoy!!!!!!! I liked your report....no b.s.......love it

I BS in person, I get tired of typing and just want to get to the point. Get me a beer and your time is mine.

I love this bike. So glad I made the commitment, and especially glad that it was owned by a known rider who is a bit faster than me so I know how capable it is. Can't wait for my next ride!

flybars 06-29-2013 07:55 PM

Nice step up Phil. John does know how to massage our suspenders. He's done two of my bikes so far.

Beta Steve 06-30-2013 12:59 AM

Here's the link to the poker run, just in case...
http:http://www.nmaoffroad.org/event/show/45836753/
Early the fourth could work, but even in the fairly likely chance I take the fifth off, early won't work... How about do your chores on Friday and then a full day on Sunday?

Diedrix 06-30-2013 01:06 AM

Nice upgrade Phil! Took yer old ride out to Walker today, had a great time and good ride. Loving the bike so far. If you go next weekend, let me know I'll meet you out there.

pscook 06-30-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgastrials (Post 115162)
Here's the link to the poker run, just in case...
http:http://www.nmaoffroad.org/event/show/45836753/
Early the fourth could work, but even in the fairly likely chance I take the fifth off, early won't work... How about do your chores on Friday and then a full day on Sunday?

That looks possible, I'll check with the Boss about Sunday. I'll let you know either way.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diedrix (Post 115163)
Nice upgrade Phil! Took yer old ride out to Walker today, had a great time and good ride. Loving the bike so far. If you go next weekend, let me know I'll meet you out there.

Glad you like it, lots of potential to tune and be amazed. Quite a difference from the 4t bikes, isn't it? I'll let you know about a WV ride if it solidifies.