Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   clutch squeel (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8430)

onegreyghost 12-26-2010 09:45 PM

clutch squeel

Hey guys the sixdays is running great. I have a friend who has a 2010 gg 300 that the clutch squeels when the bike is under a heavy load such as when your a gear to high say 3rd when you should be in second. When you slip the clutch a very high pitch sound occurs. Anyone one here familiar with this issue. We changed the brand of oil from shell rotella 10/40 to maxima straight weight 65 and it still makes the noise. We called go fasters and they have heard from a couple of guys. Will it hurt the bike?

moto9 12-26-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegreyghost (Post 53466)
Hey guys the sixdays is running great. I have a friend who has a 2010 gg 300 that the clutch squeels when the bike is under a heavy load such as when your a gear to high say 3rd when you should be in second. When you slip the clutch a very high pitch sound occurs. Anyone one here familiar with this issue. We changed the brand of oil from shell rotella 10/40 to maxima straight weight 65 and it still makes the noise. We called go fasters and they have heard from a couple of guys. Will it hurt the bike?

It's annoying isn't it....Not sure why they squawk like that, I think it's a frequency type vibration that comes out of the plates.
I wonder if a stiffer spring might quiet that down.
In any case don't sweat it...I'm on my 2nd clutch, I changed it at about 60 hours and everything still looked new.
The basket, hub and pressure plate looked fine...I didn't see any sighs of wear or damage....so just ride it.

lankydoug 12-27-2010 12:13 AM

There may be some posi-trac additives that would stop the noise but I'm in agreement with others that say it won't hurt it a bit to squawk a little.

roostafish 12-27-2010 12:49 AM

I wonder if you are putting a full quart of oil in the case.. My friend has an EC 200 and was using the sight glass to fill with oil. It was not enough. I always dump an entire quart into the transmission. Most any two stroke can handle 25% more oil than the manual calls for.

onegreyghost 12-27-2010 07:16 AM

Clutch squeel

I was just wondering why some of the bikes would make this noise while other would not. The manual recommends 900cc's of oil but I believe he is putting in 850cc's because he is a trials rider and people who ride trails recommend putting in about 50cc's less that what the manual recommends. We will add about 100cc more to get it to 950cc and I will let everyone know if that helps out with this annoying noise

jostby 12-27-2010 08:29 AM

Mine does it when I am abusing it (steep hills and slipping the clutch). I just figure it's a warning sign for me to ease up a bit.

ScottyR 12-27-2010 09:14 AM

Is he running a full synthetic oil? My old Husaberg would squeal like crazy running full syn oil. I went back to cheap dino oil and changed it frequently and the squeal went away.

Boomhauer 12-27-2010 10:18 AM

My 04 model did that until I changed to the rotella. The 07 never did it. I always used just one quart of oil.

onegreyghost 12-27-2010 11:04 AM

Clutch squawk

I am someone who really abuses the clutch, especially hill climbing. I am talking about the bike is bouncing off the rev-limiter and at the same time letting the clutch slip. I dont get the squawk that he is experincing when he is running the bike moderatly. We rode last week and I done some hill climbing with his 300, I thougt the engine was going to disintigrate under neath me. The sound horrified me, but if its not going to damage the bike then I see no reason to pull it apart. I was just nervous because the first engine in my 300 ate through the engine case because a clutch issue. Anyway here is the oil he is running in the bike. Its maxima MTL Trans/Clutch Fluid 75 wt. Here is what the bottle claims-MTL has been significantly improved with new technologically advanced additive systems that drastically improve clutch life and reduce slippage. While accomplishing this, MTL provides outstanding anti-wear protection and lubrication to the transmission as well. This new formula has been extensively tested on the race track by many of the nations top mx teams and tuners and is now available to the serious competitor.

HuskyDude 12-27-2010 12:27 PM

I would stay away from any 'special additives' oils and stick with a full synthetic oil if you abuse the clutch. Like Motorex
A guys I ride with is like that. Right hand is locked full open and the clutch is being punished all the time. :eek:

Put in the full 900cc. Change it lots and Call her good.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/imag...ies/cheers.gif