Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Am I nuts? 1999 EC 250 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20414)

hadfield4wd 10-26-2015 01:53 PM

Am I nuts? 1999 EC 250

So I can get a deal on a 1999 EC 250. Perfectly good running 2T. I'm actually considering it.

What I don't like is the GasGas situation and the zooks on the front being out of business as far as dirt bike forks. I know they foul the oil quickly but I maintain my bikes well and have no problem changing fork oil.

So what do you think? I assume parts would be difficult anyway as its a '99.

We're talking $600

Is this a throwaway bike? Ride till it dies then use as paperweight?

I also understand this is a GasGas site and you may be a bit biased.;)

I like weird and different things. And a 16 year old spanish bike from a bankrupt company may fit the bill. I'm also looking at '96-'99 Suzuki RMX's as comparison. I also am no stranger to throwaway bikes as our little group has an aprilia climber 1990 trials bike.

jhendr3702 10-26-2015 02:15 PM

if I ran across one of those for 600, I would be all over it..

I have had a few rmx's, as have a lot of guys on here.. that gasser will run and turn circles around them..

if it is nice, you should be fine.. I just bought a gasser trials in that "money "that I will never sell..

nknudsen 10-26-2015 02:41 PM

No issues at all unless it's an unmaintained POS condition bike. They're great bikes and the 99' and older have the counter balancer for a super smooth engine. The body work can be updated all the way to the 2011 style and many forks can be adapted to work on the bike (older WP, YZ KYB, etc). I feel the bikes were way ahead of their time. They are tough bikes and handle well! I never feel my bike is lacking comparing to the newer bikes I ride with:D. I wouldn't worry about finding parts (many yrs interchange). Just remember it wont' be perfect, it's an old dirt bike.

nknudsen 10-26-2015 02:48 PM

Got pics??

pscook 10-26-2015 04:45 PM

For $600, you can't go wrong. Basically, the only "GasGas" item on the bike is the engine, not counting the piston and rod (the only consumables inside the cases). Everything else came from another brand/outside source. Brakes may be either Brembo or Nissin, so CR250 pads fit the Nissin brakes (as well as other brands). Wheel bearings are easily sourced at a bearing house. Piston may require a specific size, but I think that an older CR250 piston will fit, as will a CR250 rod. Crank is bullet proof and easily rebuilt. Oh, the hubs and wheels are specific, but rotors and sprockets are easily sourced. The crossover list is quite extensive, plus just search and ask. Lots of folks willing to help out here.

hadfield4wd 10-26-2015 05:24 PM

Considering it half the price of the RMX I have always wanted. I'm afraid I'll always regret this bike. I get the buttery smooth counterbalanced motor and other sources parts. Doesn't make me real nervous.

I don't have pictures as I originally hadn't even considered buying this. But the price is right now. Maybe I'll regret not buying this.

Apparently the only solution is to get both! But my budget does not allow this. Plus I don't like duplicate bikes. Each bike is a tool for a job. Got my sport touring street bike. My good dual sport and now time for a woods weapon.

This doesn't include my kids bike and the various quads I have as well.

gasgasxc 10-26-2015 05:29 PM

The RMX is garbage.
The GasGas is something worth having.

The RMX will go down as the second greatest disappointment right behind the 97 CR 250 in the modern era.

hadfield4wd 10-26-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasxc (Post 158820)
The RMX is garbage.
The GasGas is something worth having.

The RMX will go down as the second greatest disappointment right behind the 97 CR 250 in the modern era.

Interesting, you are literally the first person I've heard say that. So because i always try to learn more, what makes it so bad?

Most of the people i know who own one or have owned one say its one of the best woods bikes they've ever had.

gasgasxc 10-26-2015 10:12 PM

Uh.
Don't buy one.I don't know who you've been talking too.
But they are the ultimate turd in the 250 woodzification 2 stroke realm of that era.

You will love the Gasser and getting parts is easy.
Lots of used stuff out there also.This forum is loaded with parts.

I'm actually lagging here I've promised like 3 people parts for their Gassers.
Just been fishing everyday.
Lots of stuff out there.Lots of years and models interchange.Also with other brands.

Rick 10-26-2015 10:29 PM

Go for it......nothing to loose......those 45zokes are buttery smooth.....when set up right......just need your own oil well....j/k!
Mine lasted 10 years.....before I converted to USD forks.....