Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Electrical & Wiring (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2018 Starter Fix Thread - Continued. (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23150)

SS109 02-26-2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booki (Post 188754)
Least the first 4 items seem straight forward.
How do you remap the CDI? Are dealers the only one who can do it?

Dealer has to do it. Contact your local dealer and see if your bike's CDI has been updated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wypipo (Post 188758)
Are there any trouble shooting methods to determine if it?s the starter itself? I have done the first 4 and have good voltage everywhere

You can pull the starter and bench test it. It should run smoothly with no unusual noises and no slop on the bearing the shaft rides on. If you're going that far, check that the bearings that support the bendix and the starter spin easily and smoothly.

In my opinion, from all that I have read, I believe the CDI, the starter mechanism bearings, and the starter are the cause of the actual no start problems.

RudolfHucker 02-26-2019 07:54 AM

On the side mounted KTM starter motors, they would fail to start the engine when the speed began to drop due to worn bushes or battery charge. There was some kind of sensor in the Cdi that stopped the spark from being produced.

You could override this by quickly pushing and releasing the kill button as the starter was spinning and the engine would immediately fire up. Don't know if this would work on the GGs.

ssaulnier 02-26-2019 10:00 AM

Cranks OK but no start

I tried depressing and releasing the kill botton while cranking but still no start.
Then if I kick it starts ok.

Seems to crank fine using electric starter but often no start unless engine is warm.

RudolfHucker 02-26-2019 10:10 AM

If you pull the spark plug, are you getting a spark in all scenarios with the starter?

Wypipo 02-26-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssaulnier (Post 188780)
I tried depressing and releasing the kill botton while cranking but still no start.
Then if I kick it starts ok.

Seems to crank fine using electric starter but often no start unless engine is warm.

How many kicks does it take your bike to start?

ssaulnier 02-26-2019 01:02 PM

If I have primed the bike and get a good kick, just one kick generally. But sometimes 3 or 4.

The drill to prime the bike is turn on the fuel, put bike in 2nd gear, rock bike forward and back 4 or 5 times to draw some fuel vapors into the engine. Then put bike in neutral, slowly depress the kick lever down until the piston comes up against compression, very gently depress kicker until piston is just past top dead center, let kicker come back to top and give it a good full stroke.

If engine doesn?t fire in 3 or 4 kicks I reprime.

Once started, I blip the handle bar mounted choke to keep it running and rev it a bit. After 30 seconds or so I start riding slowly, test the brakes and throttle, do a few full lock turns to get my balance, a couple straight line runs to clean out the bike and then go riding.

ssaulnier 02-26-2019 01:05 PM

Rudolph, that is a good question. I will pull the plug and see if I have spark with the electric starter. Will report back.

ssaulnier 02-26-2019 02:11 PM

One more piece of information. Before I installed additional ground wires from the battery to the coil and from the coil to the starter bracket sometimes it took many kicks to start. And the number of kicks seems to be random. I suspect I was not getting spark and I noticed that the hour meter speedometer display sometimes did not illuminate while kicking.

Note that I did not install the factory recommended 8 AWG wires, but used much smaller 12 AWG since that is what I had available. I think the 12 wire has helped the kick starting but not the electric starting.

RudolfHucker 02-26-2019 02:38 PM

You can always add a 2nd run of 12AWG to the starter bracket and go direct from the battery.

SS109 02-26-2019 03:46 PM

Yeah, 12 awg is way too small. Double up or fatten it up.