Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Trans oil info needed (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9833)

Sixdays 06-05-2011 02:33 AM

Trans oil info needed

Hello
Well im new to the GG world. I just bought a 011 300 Sixdays.

I have read that the GG likes certian trans oils. I have NOT had clutch noise, clutch drag, or notchy shifting. So my question is what brand and wt oil does the GG come with from the factory?

Thanks Mike

thumperrider1 06-05-2011 06:08 AM

I'm not sure what comes from the factory or if they drain before shipping. My dealer had used some green oil in there so I think it was Motul. I run Shell Rotella T (non Synthetic). It's good oil and cheap enough where you can change it every couple hrs. Works great in my bike with the Rekluse Core EXP.

HuskyDude 06-05-2011 11:44 AM

Hi Mike, Welcome to GG Riders Club.

Boys you've got a loaded question there which has been discuss since this place started.:D Rule of thumb is Good quality, lower first number (like 0w40, 5w40 to prevent clutch drag) and change it lots.

If you use the search button up top and search just oil you'll be back reading a long time.

But for now here are a couple newer threads that will interest you.
Hope that helps ya out a bit.

Oh and Congrats on your new ride.http://www.cafehusky.com/smilies/thumbsup.gif

ec 300 transmission oil

Oil types/best?

Bailey28 06-05-2011 03:06 PM

I'm not saying it is best, but I run straight 30w SG SH motor oil in mine. The clutch wont' drag when first starting out and I don't get any squeal during the day, even in tight woods.

Spectrum 30w, yellow cap at Kmart. I change it every 3-4 rides.

Tlineman 06-05-2011 10:13 PM

I started out running Amsoil 0W40 for my first 3 oil changes and while it worked well, at times there was a slight clutch drag and the clutch would squeal when being worked hard. Recently tried ATF type F for my last change, having ridden once since, squeal is gone and the clutch shifts nice. It does concern me though over how thin of an oil this is. Its like pouring water into the gear box?

The only Rotella and can find in Can is diesel motor oil. Is this essentially the same thing? I was under the impression that all car / truck motor oils weren't a good choice for a bikes wet clutch because of the friction modifiers? Does Rotella not include these friction additives?

webmaster 06-05-2011 10:51 PM

Shell rotella (both synthetic and conventional) that is sold here in the U.S. has a JASO MA rating for motorcycle use - no friction modifiers and works well in wet clutch applications.

jeff

husley 06-05-2011 10:56 PM

Rekluse

Spoke with Rekluse a couple weeks ago, my wife just got a new bike and has a Rekluse and I was unfamiliar with what they like to run.

The Tech-Rep at Rekluse had nothing but good things to say about the non-synthetic Rotella.

I have been running Maxima 80 wt in my GasGas without any issues, although now that I think about it I might have the slightest clutch drag.

Gonna try the Rotella being that I already have a gallon of the stuff.

swazi_matt 06-06-2011 01:49 AM

i seem to remember the recoimmended oil is GRO 0-30. I find it hard to get hold of and have been using bellray gear saver 80W and have had no issues with drag or chirping clutch syndrome

On my previous bikes i used diesel engine oil 15w40 (similar to rotella, also not available locally) and had no problems either just used to change it more often than the bellray, the rekluse was really hard on oil

GMP 06-06-2011 08:45 AM

I've run the syn 5W-40W Rotella for years with great results. Recently I've run the non-syn 15W-40W and have equally good results at least in the warmer weather. A dead engine HS start was no problem. This past winter my clutch looked like new after over 100 hrs.

Neil E. 06-06-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 64725)
Shell rotella (both synthetic and conventional) that is sold here in the U.S. has a JASO MA rating for motorcycle use - no friction modifiers and works well in wet clutch applications.
jeff

I have the Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic in mine. The API symbol has nothing in the lower section (this is good) and states JASO MA in the approvals. The label lists it as made in Canada.

I worked the clutch pretty hard while bushwhacking around some downed trees, not a peep from it.