Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2013 ec update (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13242)

v-tec 09-08-2012 12:37 PM

2013 ec update

Hi all,
Just got back from a 12 hour round trip to GAS GAS UK.
Went up there to look at the new 2013 models,now this is not a public showroom i guess its somthing like clays place, They do have a spares dept,

The bike stowage department was unlocked just for us (so much to look at )
Like kids with toys,The sales lady left us to look over , sit on , remove the 2013 seat, compare seat hight 2012/2013.
I must say for me at 5ft 7ins the new seat hight was noticeable,
The seat came off easy and the new subframe looks much stronger,
Tank size is 1 litre less, but there is much more room around it,
Steering lock was noticeabley beter,
There was one thing a little disappointing, here in the UK the 2011/2012 bikes have a FMF silencer/muffler they look sexy, but the 2013 has a gasgas in house unit, maybe cost saving but it dont look as good, im not saying its a deal breaker, but i suppose they are trying to cut costs.
Anyway i think the updates are a step in the right direction, thats for sure,
Well what a great way to spend the day,Thanks to GASGAS.
There a still some 2012 around,with a saving of 600 uk pounds over the 2013
600 buys a lot of bolt on bits
Decisions Decsions, But one thing is, can you imagine the orange bike importer letting you loose in there warehouse, Na,dont think so.

By for now
V-tec

Cruiser 09-08-2012 02:03 PM

I do have to add,, the gas gas silencer my 97 250ec came with was by far the best silencer I had on that bike.. not a spooge collector and quiet! The FMF's were ok.. dripped a lot, and much louder.. I needed a spark arrestor or else it would have been on the bike forever..

rgranger 11-20-2012 07:13 PM

I must say for me at 5ft 7ins the new seat hight was noticeable,

in like it was lower/better? 'cause I am a bit stubby too.

john01 11-20-2012 07:18 PM

That would be cool but I'd probably still be in there drooling :cool:. BTW which color looked the best in person?

twowheels 11-20-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgranger (Post 99307)
in like it was lower/better? 'cause I am a bit stubby too.

... and your ball bearings get loose every now and then ...:D

fletchman45 11-20-2012 07:33 PM

What was different about the subframe?? I understand the lower seat height was acchived by a different linkage. I had a guy look at a 12 and 13 side by side and he said the linkage looked identical but was different colar. He sat on the two and saqid he felt no difference! I saved $900 and bought a 12 Gas Gas 300. Hope I don't regret not grqabbing a 13, but $900 buys other stuff! Yea love this thing and no the POS orange factory probably would not allow anything like that!!

GMP 11-20-2012 07:35 PM

The GasGas/Messico silencer on my '07 is good. Compact, light, and quiet enough. If the bend was the same I would have swapped it to my '12 on day one.

twowheels 11-20-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fletchman45 (Post 99312)
What was different about the subframe?? I understand the lower seat height was acchived by a different linkage. I had a guy look at a 12 and 13 side by side and he said the linkage looked identical but was different colar. He sat on the two and saqid he felt no difference! I saved $900 and bought a 12 Gas Gas 300. Hope I don't regret not grqabbing a 13, but $900 buys other stuff! Yea love this thing and no the POS orange factory probably would not allow anything like that!!

A millimeter or two on the pull rods accounts for the 3/4" or so drop in seat height. The new rods are anodized a brownish/bronze color.

The battery box has moved up off the subframe rails to a box attached to the seat. There is a hefty U-shaped aluminum piece tying the subframe halves together while still allowing unfettered access to the filter. Getting the seat off is tricky the first couple times you try because of where it catches, but its easier to get to the filter once its hanging by its tether at the side of the bike.

Some of that $900 should be set aside for shrouds - the new pieces are sturdier than the 12s.

GMP 11-20-2012 07:41 PM

Someone measure the pull rods. I'd bet the '13 are a bit longer to drop the rear and soften the initial travel. The '12, while very good, has a firm initial feel for a 5.2 spring @ < 10mm preload.

Edit:

Wow, that Steve is fast!

Either replace the shrouds or mount with bolts before you loose them.

robszombie 11-20-2012 11:59 PM

Am I right in thinking they've tried to save a few more quid by getting rid of the magura clutch.......