Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is there a definitive crossover list? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16252)

steveola 12-01-2013 09:19 PM

Is there a definitive crossover list?

I've seen the one that very generically says, "Use KX seat foam," which I find somewhat useless as it neither identifies the year KX or the year GG.

I would think, as a GG owner of '99 and '00 models, that locating parts is one of the major issues with owning a Gas Gas. My '99 seat is destroyed, and the '00 doesn't fit. I should be able to go to Gas Gas' website and see . . . "for '99 to '04 get a '97 to '02 KX250 foam and cover and you'll be able to fudge it."

Given how much it costs to make parts and new castings, and that Gas Gas doesn't exactly have the production run of a Honda, I would think that most these parts would come from other sources, not be specific to Gas Gas.

I want a new bike, and at 51 years old it may well be my last, but given the lack of support for older stuff I'm really having second thoughts. I'm not even upset that I would have to cut, chop, modify, scrounge to keep my '99 and '00 running, but I would really appreciate it if Gas Gas made it a priority to support us older Gassers, even if only with information.

Stoby 12-01-2013 11:36 PM

seat

I have an older but decent seat that looks a little different from my 01
I picked it up at a swap meet for $5 Do you have a part # I could compare if you wanted ?
Stoby

noobi 12-02-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveola (Post 123402)
II should be able to go to Gas Gas' website and see . . . "for '99 to '04 get a '97 to '02 KX250 foam and cover and you'll be able to fudge it."

...but given the lack of support for older stuff I'm really having second thoughts.

Just out of curiosity, considering no other brand does this, why would GasGas officially release a list of crossovers to other brands?

bowhunter007 12-02-2013 06:57 AM

For the most part...doesn't the parts crossover pertain to the pre-07 bikes?

steveola 12-02-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobi (Post 123406)
Just out of curiosity, considering no other brand does this, why would GasGas officially release a list of crossovers to other brands?

Maybe because half the stuff isn't available? If I could call a Gas Gas dealer and just order stuff, I sure wouldn't mind doing just that. This isn't a Honda.

Support it or help me out. Pick one.

steveola 12-02-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoby (Post 123404)
I have an older but decent seat that looks a little different from my 01
I picked it up at a swap meet for $5 Do you have a part # I could compare if you wanted ?
Stoby

I'll take and post a photo of the connection system. The '00 seat doesn't hook in the same and even if I took the subframe from the '00 and put it on the '99, the seat still was too long. My Clark tank may have something to do with that so I pulled the staples and trimmed the front, but no help.

The '99 was my original bike, I sold it to a Hobbit who cut the seat so far down I can feel the plastic, then I bought it back.

Fred1956 12-02-2013 09:07 AM

per Jim Cook-foam from a 96-98 KX (125- or 250) will work Ceet & Guts were making them and as far as GG you'd need a seat from 94-99 year models

From the Ceet website http://ceetracing.com/en/kawasaki/12...bike-foam.html
94-98 KX Tall foam part # FK019
Std foam is part # FK018

If we posted a list no one would ask us questions, asking us questions gives us a chance to prove our worth.....:rolleyes:

steveola 12-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1956 (Post 123425)
If we posted a list no one would ask us questions, asking us questions gives us a chance to prove our worth.....:rolleyes:

:) I don't LOL at the screen too often but that was good.

Jim is one of my favorite guys and I had an SMS sticker on my swingarm until I finally blew it off with the power washer.

I am a rabid and loyal GG guy. I *love* my bikes because I'm fat, old, and a substantially slower. I just don't have time to go on a hunting and gathering mission because I'm self employed.

Thank you so much for the intel.

Now, if I can just weld the nuts on for my subframe so I curse less during repairs . . . :D

My wreckage: http://stevejamison.homestead.com/bikepics.html

Steve

Anders 12-02-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveola (Post 123422)
Maybe because half the stuff isn't available? If I could call a Gas Gas dealer and just order stuff, I sure wouldn't mind doing just that. This isn't a Honda.

Support it or help me out. Pick one.

I guess some of the parts that are not available anymore can be replaced by newer parts, provided you opt for the transformation kit. I believe that is GG's way of supporting the older bikes in the long run. The kit is actually quite nicely priced, and you get rid of older plastic, seat, lamps etc that may no longer be available.

No, this isn't Honda. I don't know much about Honda spares availability, but I have several other european bikes where the spares are a problem. In my world, spares support for my GG is actually the best among my bikes. More than once I have been impressed with the Norwegian importer's stock of spares for my 06 EC200. OTOH, my GG is also the newest in my stable, so perhaps I shouldn't be supriced ?

EC250 12-04-2013 02:07 PM

Hi Steveola

24MX.com has a seat foam for EC 1998 for ?47 if your interested.