Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Electrical & Wiring (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   18 EC300 E-Start shaft removal? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25539)

Demi 02-26-2021 12:16 PM

18 EC300 E-Start shaft removal?

How is this removed? I see there is screw in a parts fiche, but for the life of cannot find it? Wanting to put my eBay Russian kit on and have come to this road block. Thanks in advance!

farmerj 02-26-2021 06:47 PM

Heat the Stator case up with a heat gun real good (in that shaft area). Then tap/hit the cover down on a solid surface. Often the shaft and bearing will "fall out", and you will then see the screw on the end.

More info. here:
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24995

Jeff

PS - Heating should work! - but if it doesn't, let us know. Some have made tools to pull the thing, but if it's really stuck I'd consider what I believe is MotoCenter's method. It sounds invasive, but isn't really that bad. Drill a hole through stator case where the shaft sits, then put a punch through the hole and tap out the shaft. When you're done, put a drop of JB weld in the hole, and you're back in business. Wish I could remember the thread where I saw this done.

Demi 02-26-2021 08:06 PM

thanks Jeff, I will try heat again, saw this method probably in that thread after I posted. It was hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch, maybe a bit more? I actually thought about trying something along those lines of drill and tap, if Motocenter has done it, must work well enough.

Demi 02-27-2021 12:56 AM

I cannot get this removed... tons of heat, even drilled the back for the screw access and tapping didn't remove it either. All of this talk and it being a spare part, still in there. Pretty frustrated by this admittedly. Info and pix are really tough to find and no videos that I have found. Really would like to get this done before I have a meltdown.

Gasser Nate 02-27-2021 03:20 AM

I would be reluctant to put an unnecessary hole in the cover as I have removed plenty of these with just heat and a dowel puller type tool to grasp the shaft and attach a slide hammer type of tool to. If you already have a hole in the cover why can you not tap it out with a pin punch?

Demi 02-27-2021 04:13 AM

I already drilled it sadly... I don't know why Nate. Put in a vise as well to hold it steady for the punch and hammer. The bolt appears to have a flange, so I don't know if that is holding it up, but if you and others have been able just pull, then I am clearly screwing it up. By most accounts, it appeared easy, so far it has been a real PITA.

Gasser Nate 02-27-2021 10:51 PM

Post a picture of where you drilled the hole, it should be right in the centre line of where the bolt goes into the shaft to retain the bearing. You did remove the bevel gear held in with a circlip first? (The one the starter motor slides into).

Demi 02-27-2021 11:15 PM

thanks Nate- I did drill center, managed to get the screw out with lots of work, the flange made it a job. I did remove that circlip, but cannot get that bearing out either. Lots of heat, banging it on the workbench, etc. didn't get anywhere. I still clamped the cover in a vise and the shaft wouldn't hardly budge and naturally the gear butted up against the other...with that bracing, the shaft still hasn't popped out. How can it still be stuck?

Gasser Nate 02-28-2021 12:27 AM

You should have removed the top gear first and leave the screw in the shaft. Once the top gear is out you can tap the whole assembly out in one piece, then once it is out remove the screw and bearing. Take a look at a picture off the parts fiche and you can figure out the order things need to be removed.

Demi 02-28-2021 02:51 AM

thanks Nate...it all makes more sense now that I have it apart. I ended up using a map gas torch to heat the top up hot enough instead of the heat gun, bearing came right out :cool: too bad I have a cobbed up cover now, pretty annoyed with myself. Knew it was something simple. Hopefully I can make it look good, being that the hole is on the back side, it should be ok. I have several inquiries out there for a new cover however. Need a new 6902Z bearing... once it gets back together, I know the top bearing just needs setting enough for the circlip, then both gears should spin freely right?

Thanks for the support!