Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   fixing clutch drag when hot. (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8683)

stainlesscycle 01-24-2011 10:43 AM

fixing clutch drag when hot.

here's the symptoms:

i can kick bike in gear for dead engine start, have bike running, i click into gear, with clutch pulled, hit kill button. i keep clutch pulled and kick it and it starts fine.

but:

if i stall on the trail, in gear, pull clutch, and kick, clutch drags, and won't start. i need to shift to neutral to start it. this is a pain in the ass. i thought the plates would wear a bit and fix this, but it has not happened yet.

so, i'm assuming my clutch needs bled, and i've not been successful back bleeding it. i was thinking if i remove slave cylinder from bike, put a c-clamp on it, pump it once or twice so it's tight, then crack bleeder wouldn't the air be forced out of the line? can't figure out where air bubble is....

is there a foolproof way to bleed it?

Fred1956 01-24-2011 11:33 AM

I wonder if you have the dreaded "basket notches"? With engine running and no load conditions, the clutch could fully release and hitting the kill switch would leave it released BUT when stalling with clutch released the plates could sitting against the basket & not release when the lever is pulled.
Just a thought to check on. Good luck

stainlesscycle 01-24-2011 12:25 PM

basket is not notched - i checked in november or so..

GMP 01-24-2011 01:58 PM

Actually that sounds somewhat normal. It should be able to start in gear but it is harder. The idea of holding the clutch in during a kill for a dead engine HS start is to keep the plates "loose" and not stuck right? If the clutch system was leaking or needed bleeding it wouldn't matter, it would drag in both cases. If the master was leaking it would be worse the longer the lever was held in. Backbleed is easy, be sure you have free play in the lever. If the master cyl piston is not past the hole in the master cyl casting, no joy.

Bryan 01-24-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 55743)
here's the symptoms:

i can kick bike in gear for dead engine start, have bike running, i click into gear, with clutch pulled, hit kill button. i keep clutch pulled and kick it and it starts fine.

but:

if i stall on the trail, in gear, pull clutch, and kick, clutch drags, and won't start. i need to shift to neutral to start it. this is a pain in the ass. i thought the plates would wear a bit and fix this, but it has not happened yet.

so, i'm assuming my clutch needs bled, and i've not been successful back bleeding it. i was thinking if i remove slave cylinder from bike, put a c-clamp on it, pump it once or twice so it's tight, then crack bleeder wouldn't the air be forced out of the line? can't figure out where air bubble is....

is there a foolproof way to bleed it?

Mine does the same thing. The basket is fine, no notches. Did it with new plates and worn out plates. Not sure there is a fix for it. I have heard of some trying different oils. Not sure if they had any success.

I have just chalked it up to a characteristic of my bike.

Todd5774 01-24-2011 02:16 PM

Mine does the same, find if I rock the bike backwards abit it seems to release the gear and able me to kick in gear, quicker than shifting to neutral.

Rick 01-24-2011 05:31 PM

I am in the same boat, I go throught the same routine as you for all dead engine starts. 90% of the time, I can start my bike in gear, if I stall it. All I really do is keep my clutch adjusted per my owners manual. I'm sure I have the old school basket! I've not opened up the clutch cover in a few years.

AZRickD 01-24-2011 05:31 PM

My clutch system works miraculously better when I bleed it.

I also use ATF in the tranny or ATF/Rotella.

whodat 01-24-2011 07:44 PM

dam it rick, you just need to go faster so your bike does not get so hot.

stainlesscycle 01-24-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 55758)
The idea of holding the clutch in during a kill for a dead engine HS start is to keep the plates "loose" and not stuck right?

correct. it works everytime. no problems with dead engine starts. i have freeplay at lever.

i can sometimes start it in gear if stall somewhere, but not always - depends on how tired i am or the angle i can get at the kicker.

i will try rocking bike a bit - there is nothing more frustrating than trying to find neutral/kicking when you stall.....