Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spark Plug (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25234)

Johanv 06-29-2020 06:48 AM

Spark Plug

Hi , I've a Gasgas300 2003 model 2stroke- replaced the plug for a 3rd time now in 3 weeks- bike starts easy and then just dies- take the plug out and put in a new one and starts first kick again- old plug not even 1 hour old but wet when taken out, is this due to fuel problem and what plug should it be? I put in a NGK BR8EG- is this the right plug? Also want to ask- the bike is strong from 3rd gear but 1st and 2nd gear not running smooth and strong but more of a spatter- is this fuel or reed valves? Thanks in advance

Anders 06-29-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johanv (Post 195681)
Hi , I've a Gasgas300 2003 model 2stroke- replaced the plug for a 3rd time now in 3 weeks- bike starts easy and then just dies- take the plug out and put in a new one and starts first kick again- old plug not even 1 hour old but wet when taken out, is this due to fuel problem and what plug should it be? I put in a NGK BR8EG- is this the right plug? Also want to ask- the bike is strong from 3rd gear but 1st and 2nd gear not running smooth and strong but more of a spatter- is this fuel or reed valves? Thanks in advance

I would guess it's jetted a tad too fat, or that you ride it less aggressively (keep the motor running closer to idle / low throttle) than the previous owner. Or both. I experienced the same when I got the 2006 some years ago.

Read the jetting threads, check your jetting. Being a 2003 model, the carb may be worn, which does not help when you try to find the optimal jetting for your riding and conditions.

SS109 06-29-2020 12:19 PM

Plug is correct. The jetting is more than a tad off if you're killing plugs that fast. What is your current jetting? Have you checked the float level? If PWK carb, is the jet block gasket good?

swazi_matt 06-29-2020 03:40 PM

plug is correct but if you're battling with jetting it will be much cheaper to test with a BR8ES

Jacob 'Berg 06-29-2020 06:55 PM

I would also check the float level as well if you have not done so.

Check to make sure you are not burning gear oil due to a leaking crank seal, which can cause plugs to foul and the bike to run like crap.

Johanv 07-01-2020 03:38 AM

Spark Plug Issue

Hi, Thanks for the many replies- will have a look at the jetting etc.and when the problem is found will post my reply.

Johanv 07-12-2020 08:22 AM

Spark Plug Issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS109 (Post 195683)
Plug is correct. The jetting is more than a tad off if you're killing plugs that fast. What is your current jetting? Have you checked the float level? If PWK carb, is the jet block gasket good?

Current Jetting is a 38/170 - tried a BP6RES plug and it actually lasted for 2 weeks without issues, now this morning fouled the plug again after startup- bike started- ran for 3 secs and died, what is an easy way to check if the crank seal is blown?

Doc Brown 07-12-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johanv (Post 195819)
Current Jetting is a 38/170 - tried a BP6RES plug and it actually lasted for 2 weeks without issues, now this morning fouled the plug again after startup- bike started- ran for 3 secs and died, what is an easy way to check if the crank seal is blown?

This spark plug is far too hot. Changing the spark to a hotter one masks the problem but does not cure it.

Which oil (brand) and which mix are you running? Which fuel (brand and octane number) are you currently running?

Johanv 07-14-2020 03:58 AM

Hi, running a 50:1 ratio on 95 unleaded fuel. Read a reply that over oiling an air filter can also result in killing the plug- had a look at my air filter and I think I was a bit eager on the air filter oil spray. When I removed the carb I also took out the reed block-its a boyesen block and the previous owner tried to modify another brand reed valves in there with some modification on the holding plate- the reed tips was also open- will replace them. What is the correct fuel? Should I rather use 93 unleaded?

(F5) 07-14-2020 04:20 AM

I had a bike with a weak ignition that would kill plugs. Try a new plug cap, or better yet a coil and cap off another cdi ignition bike.
The stators themselves do fail but I'd expect more erratic behavior.