Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Considering the Kiwi Move (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22858)

swazi_matt 08-07-2017 02:52 AM

Considering the Kiwi Move

So getting itchy feet and New Zealand keeps popping up on the radar, so trying to get some bike info.
i know there is a decent dirt biking community in NZ, but where are the best areas for riding (not necessarily racing, more in terms of freedom to ride and open riding areas).

I am a Civil Engineer and there is a demand, i also have 2 small boys in primary school so need to be near somewhere with decent schools etc

Lastly everything seems expencive in NZ so any info on importing bikes with me would be welcomed

(F5) 08-07-2017 03:31 AM

It not an enormous country so most areas are farmland or forestry land. Kinda need permission to ride there or people get upset.
Most of our riding these days is organised trail rides by clubs on a marked out track typically about 25-30km per loop with optional a loops, or longer rides with up to 80km loops.
Or enduros or MX.
I live in Wellington so most rides I do involve driving 1 to 1.5 hrs to get there. There isn't much riding in the middle of winter unless you want to drive further.
Auckland you will always have to drive, its a jungle of congestion.
Christchurch is nice but it gets another level of cold down there and even the North island will be a temperature shock.

But I love the riding and the area.

The road riding is neat too.

Yeah things aren't cheap. Can't have everything.

swazi_matt 08-07-2017 02:28 PM

Thanks. I know I will battle to find anywhere with the riding freedom we have here. But how did Chris Birch get so good?

(F5) 08-07-2017 08:34 PM

Trials riding.

gg3 08-07-2017 10:38 PM

Hi ,
Plenty of good events & bike parks within 2hrs of central North Island.Work with 2 SA guys & they often say how much more it costs here.That's the price you pay for a minimum wage & workers rights.

Simmo737 08-08-2017 02:54 AM

I am an Aussie, but go to the South Island every year at least, the country is amazing, the people are awesome and the food, wine and activities are unsurpassed, if the wages in my industry weren't so low compared to oz, I'd be there in a flash.... I'd even go to crusaders or Otago matches if I had to.

I have a close mate who's kids go to boarding school in Christchurch and he rates the education standard higher than oz.

And last of all, the whole South Island looks like a natural terrain mx track, there is bound to be good riding. Just by a coat.

swazi_matt 08-08-2017 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg3 (Post 178389)
Hi ,
Plenty of good events & bike parks within 2hrs of central North Island.Work with 2 SA guys & they often say how much more it costs here.That's the price you pay for a minimum wage & workers rights.

Would i be right in assuming they are comparing to SA prices? I imagine the salaries in NZ (based on all the punting about best work/life balance) are fine for a NZ employee with a decent job such that you would be able to buy some toys and still live a similar life to in SA?

I think i should stop asking these questions on a bike forum though or i will never go. 2hrs to go to a riding spot is hardly ever done here (bearing in mind you can just about cross the country W-E in 2hrs) I normally just ride from home and within 2km i am in open terrain

gg3 08-08-2017 03:03 AM

yeah comparing with SA prices.

hadfield4wd 08-08-2017 08:33 AM

I'd love to move to NZ.

(F5) 08-08-2017 08:02 PM

When (if) I get more time I'd like to dirt ride down the south island. Been there on road bike many times in the past and it is beautiful. We just don't admit it in presence of mainlanders as they refer to themselves. There's still great riding up here. An engineer should get good money in the right place. But still not as much as a slimey salesman. But that's always the case