Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   PWK38 Service kit ?10 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23846)

Davehuge 09-01-2018 05:12 PM

PWK38 Service kit ?10

1 Attachment(s)
So I purchased a Keihin PWK38 refurb/service kit for 10 Euros including p&p!

I have a 2004 EC300 with PWK38 AS1 Screw Top Carb. Had it a few years, got it jetted just nice (using genuine Keihin jets and needle) but I still had a few niggles with the carb... intermittently overflowed fuel, idle was unstable, etc.

I don't use the bike for competition, leisure use only but I ride it hard.

I spotted the PWK38 refurb/service kit on eBay from China for only 10 Euros with postage, for the money I thought I'd give it a try!

Obviously, it's not genuine Keihin, some people may call it 'fake' others may call it 'pattern' but it contained some parts that would be very useful...if they worked!

Attachment 7768

So after 2 weeks it arrived and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

As well as other parts, the kit included a Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle and Slide. I decided I wouldn't be using these and put them to one side.

Here's a list of the parts I used from the kit...

1. Float - Original float had been bent/adjusted many times, its tang was deformed and I didn't trust it.

2. Float valve - Original float valve looked in good condition but the rubber tip had hardened and the spring action of the spring loaded pin seemed very light.

3. Choke plunger - The rubber tip had hardened and was indented.

4. Float Bowl seal and Jet Block seal - both rubber seals had hardened and flattened.

5. Air Screw - It had a ridge on its tapered tip.

6. Plastic Idle Screw - Screw head was damaged and tip worn.

I stripped and cleaned the carb, fitted the replacement parts. The float/float valve needed no adjustment. Straight out of the box they gave me a float height of 16mm with the float seam parallel to the bowl mating surface.

I've had a 3 hour ride on the bike this afternoon and all is good. The intermittent carb overflow is fixed and I can adjust the air screw/idle screw to give a stable idle.

If I was using the bike for serious competition then I'd happily spend money on genuine Keihin parts, but for what I need I'm very happy with my 10 Euros kit!

:)

Harry 09-01-2018 07:17 PM

Hi Dave, do you have a link ?

Davehuge 09-02-2018 02:46 AM

Hi Harry

Here's a link to the kit I purchased from China...

Motorcycle Repair Kit 38mm For PWK KEIHIN OKO Carburetor Spare Sets One Pack https://ebay.us/kgSSkW

This fits the Keihin PWK 38 AS1 carb with screw top.

My kit came with a 170 Main Jet, 55 Pilot Jet and a DDJ needle, but to be honest I have thrown these in the bin and I will only use genuine Keihin Jets/Needles.

All the best, Dave.

Zman 09-02-2018 10:20 AM

Does the slide match your stock slide? I assume it is a generic kit so it will have different jet sizes and potentially a different slide cutout.

Davehuge 09-02-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman (Post 185463)
Does the slide match your stock slide? I assume it is a generic kit so it will have different jet sizes and potentially a different slide cutout.

Hi Zman, to be honest the slide had no identifying mark/number on it, I didn't use it and it will probably end up in the bin along with the jets and needle.

Cheers, Dave.

Harry 09-02-2018 08:43 PM

Thanks Dave

(F5) 09-03-2018 01:28 AM

What would be nice is if they did a tower with the needle jet orifice as that can potentially ovalise with the needle vibrating. Have seen that as a spare on some atv website for similar carb.

Happy as with my late model carb conversion though but $10 kit looks great deal if you are careful with what to use.

When you have the tower out use a magnifying viewer and really have a good gawk at the needle orifice to check it is round.