Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Odd vibe and noise. 2010 300. Your thoughts? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10478)

husley 09-05-2011 02:01 PM

Odd vibe and noise. 2010 300. Your thoughts?

2010 300, 50 hrs

At about mile 35 while coming up a hill I was on the revs when the tone of the revs/exhaust changed abruptly and became a lot more "braappy". It almost sounded as if my silencer was instantly modified to be louder.

There may have been a very slight decrease in performance at the same time but I may have just been overly sensitive

I could not find anything loose on the bike and the issue seemed to self resolve within a 1/2 mile. Rode about 15 more miles and everything behaved normally.

Whatcha think?

J

gasgasman 09-05-2011 02:06 PM

Sticking power valve or broken actuator pin.

PEB 09-05-2011 02:31 PM

blown exaust flange o-rings

Bailey28 09-05-2011 04:49 PM

My exhaust O rings did that after a low speed crash where I dented the pipe. They were fine, then no good at all....

I bought some from the local hardware and they work well.

husley 09-05-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey28 (Post 69569)
My exhaust O rings did that after a low speed crash where I dented the pipe. They were fine, then no good at all....

I bought some from the local hardware and they work well.

Hmm, at the moment this started I was going over a large root and it was big enough that it could have Wacked the pipe. I though I cleared it but I may have hit the root with the pipe

Jakobi 09-05-2011 06:11 PM

I notice my pipe sings and vibes with the engines normal vibrations. I can hear mine more noticably on decel as it vibrates against the header. It tends to come and go though and always when its doing it it can be confirmed by a quick boot on the pipe. To be honest I think mines usually set off more by big hits to the bike/suspension (jumping logs) or abrupt changes in temp (after creek crossings). I do know its a mighty annoying sound. New viton o-rings and springs going on today. Should keep her happy for a few months.

GMP 09-05-2011 08:44 PM

In addition to the orings, the top spring can vibrate against the header flange. Some high temp rubber tubing slipped over the springs cures this. From my experience, the BunaN orings commonly found in local HW stores are good for a couple rides before they take a set from heat and no longer seal well. Its best to invest in Viton that will last much longer.

forgiven 09-05-2011 08:52 PM

Could it be a little moisture in the gas?

husley 09-06-2011 07:57 AM

??? The fuel was 14 days old. Also, this was the first ride after sealing the head/expansion joint with RTV

REVERUP 09-07-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 69562)
Sticking power valve or broken actuator pin.

I'm going with this one.... probably sticking, just a bit of carbon build up can cause this. I have had experience with this and what you describe sounds exactly like it.

Roscoe