Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   450 won't start please help (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2524)

Oldcow 04-10-2008 04:14 PM

450 won't start please help

Finally have some sign of spring and I can't get the bike started. It started fine a month ago in a warm garage but has not been touch since. The battery is weak from trying so I am working with the kick starter. Is there a trick with the 45o? Its a 2006 and I have kicked my heart out and not even a sign. Its my first FI bike so maybe I am missing something. I did a bit of a search but did not find anything. I have read that the 2004 and earlier models were a challenge to kick start so maybe the 06's are as well? I hope I can get it out before it snows again...
Thanks

bergerhag 04-10-2008 04:34 PM

You might want to change the spark plug.

I'd give this a shot:

Turn ignition off and kick it round for a few rounds with wide open throttle, to clear out excessive fuel. Kick slowly just past the TDC, and the cams will help settle the crank in a new position.

Support your bike so you can stand on the pegs.

Take up the slack in the kick starter, turn ignition on, open throttle wide open(if cold)

And kick it smooth, firm and fast through the whole stroke.

If it does not start, repeat from the top. You might try no throttle too.

Oldcow 04-10-2008 05:19 PM

Thanks, I will try that.

Nick 04-10-2008 08:42 PM

Hook jumper cables up to a truck and start it.

TooFastTim 04-10-2008 10:03 PM

'kin yanks. If all else fails throw horsepower at the problem :D

Eugene 04-11-2008 03:58 AM

My vote is with Nick, jump start the beast, you are going to kick forever!

Metalefty 04-11-2008 01:46 PM

Even though it's fuel injected, it can still be started with some throttle on and yes hook up some jumper cables. How old is the gas in the bike? If it's been sitting at least all winter then maybe replacing the old fuel with fresh may help. There's a small chance that if you had your tank off, that when you put it back on that the cable harness on the ECU on the bottom of the tank may not be snapped into position fully, this could also cause it to turn but not fire.

spdfrek 04-11-2008 02:54 PM

I've jump started my 450 many times, actually remove the kick starter since it has proved to be rather useless for me. Have you even had a pop from it yet? If it never popped then you may need to dig deeper. Mine would always pop and sputter even when it wouldn't start. If I didn't have a pop it was because there were other issues.

mountain thumper 04-11-2008 05:51 PM

terrible idea(imo)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 15676)
Hook jumper cables up to a truck and start it.

i did this(jumped with truck) with my street bike a few years back,melted a lot of the wiring, never ran again. had to scrap the poor thing..
no probs after jumping spdfrek?

Oldcow 04-12-2008 04:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies. After kicking, kicking, kicking (you get the picture), I recharged the battery and after a few attempts, it started. I hope I don't run into this problem in the woods.
The stand piss me off so bad that i took it off, cut is shorter, took the bend out of it and did the chain link mod. Now I can somewhat stand on it and kick. Why such a great bike would have such a terrible stand on it is beyond me.
I will give a first ride review asap.
Thanks again