Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   txt 280 2000 model wont start (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25049)

karlk94 03-19-2020 03:06 PM

txt 280 2000 model wont start

Need some advice, bought a gas gas 280TXT 2 weeks ago it is a 2000 model. It was running when I bought it and it looked a nice bike for the year, Got the bike home and changed the oil as the last owner said it was probably due an oil change. I kicked it over to warm the bike up before going out on it straight after an oil change, Drove up the road going through the gears at a slow steady pace then all of a sudden the bike died. I have spent a full week looking over the bike, changing spark plug and cap also changed the coil to a fully brand new one, checked carb and all is good and plug is wet after kicking and also replaced air filter with a brand new one. I removed the fly wheel and cleaned inside the case then replaced with a brand new gasket. I have checked all earths and have cleaned with contact cleaner also disconnected the kill switch but has never started since cutting out. It?s as if it ran out of fuel but it is getting fuel still as nothing is blocked and im at a total loss with the bike.

Anders 03-19-2020 04:04 PM

Are you sure you don't have a spark? Does the plug produce a spark if you use a new plug, connect it to the HT lead and ground and kick the engine over?

karlk94 03-19-2020 04:18 PM

i pressed the plug againt the head and didnt get a spark but a few friends said the same that have had or have the same bike as me but once the plug is in the head it fires straight up so i honestly have no clue ive checked every conection on the bike.

farmerj 03-21-2020 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Find attached some info. from the old "tech section" of what is now trialspartsusa.

Don't know if it will help, but it discusses how to test the coil and stator, among other things.

I think you will really like that bike when you get it going! I have an '01 TXT 321. It is lots of fun and has great, "un-stallable" power. The 280 will be similar, I believe, and makes a very good tight single-track trail bike.

Have success!

Jeff

Attachment 8598

karlk94 03-22-2020 07:03 AM

i have changed coil and stator only thing left is the voltage regulator and cdi but cant find any online sadly

GasGas 03-22-2020 12:41 PM

A friend of mine had a similar vintage GG trials bike that would not spark. It ended up just being the the pickup at the flywheel had too big of a gap. Once the gap was closed up a bit if fired straight away.

farmerj 03-22-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlk94 (Post 194380)
i have changed coil and stator only thing left is the voltage regulator and cdi but cant find any online sadly

trialspartsusa.com (219-474-6656)
lewisportusa.com
www.splatshop.co.uk

These guys know all!

I'd suggest giving Jim a call at the number above. If he doesn't have it, he will likely know who does! And he'd probably be willing to talk through what you're experiencing and further diagnose.

Jeff

karlk94 03-22-2020 02:01 PM

im from the UK sadly

karlk94 03-25-2020 07:44 AM

i have replaced the stator,CDI, coil, plug and plug cap and still no spark at all.

blitz11 03-25-2020 10:29 AM

Well, then the next thing i would do is test the integrity of of the wiring harness. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that a wire in the harness has failed, and that failure is causing lack of spark.

I had an old bmw where the wire INSIDE the insulation failed, and it would lose spark very intermittently. i had to check continuity in every wire, while moving the wiring harness. crazy.

Did you also replace your timing pickup, or test it for continuity/resistance? Without that signal, your CDI won't know when to spark.

I think this has been covered, but remove ALL ground leads, polish them and their mating surfaces, and reattach. I've chased bad grounds before.