Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Magura clutch master cylinder on a GG??? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4349)

ktmguy23 03-23-2009 07:48 PM

Magura clutch master cylinder on a GG???

Can you put a Magura clutch master cylinder on a GG. I think they are a little nicer than the stock one plus they have more lever options. I noticed that the pull on my '07 300 is stiffer than that of my '05 250?

GMP 03-23-2009 09:20 PM

Whats nicer? I've had more leaking Maguras on my KTMs than the AJPs on the GGs. Yes there are more levers available but is that really worth it? Its all about the master/slave volume ratios. If you swap in a master with less volume, you decrease lever pull effort but also loose slave cyl travel.

Zeal 04-03-2009 04:44 PM

I also would like to put either a Magura or Brembo clutch master cylinder on my 08 Gasgas 250EC. I have have owned a number of KTMs and like the feel of the Magura and Brembo clutch much better than the AJP that comes on a Gasgas.

Has anyone tried to do this with any success?

I would be very interested to hear some details.

Zeal
08 250EC

jefgil123 04-05-2009 01:40 PM

I have bought the Magura but have yet to try it out.
GMP's comment may prevent my trying, although my AJP started weaping
out the rubber boot again this weekend......BTW- I got the 10.5 diameter
master cylinder , so it'll be a bit harder to pull, and actuate the slave a bit
farther (more volume per pull).

GMP 04-05-2009 07:24 PM

Remember when playing with this, that the pre '06 (I think) GGs used DOT3 brake fluid in the clutch system. Materials (seals) are not cross compatible. Magura never used brake fluid in KTMs or Huskys, so if you do this to an older GG you need to address the slave cyl seals.

I never checked the GG parts books, but the master cyl rebuild kits should be different, in material not neccessarily in dimmensions.

webmaster 04-05-2009 11:17 PM

I picked up a couple of magura clutch master cylinders off of e-bay when the cannondale parts liquidation was going on. These came with the cannondale master/steel braid line/slave cyl.

Les mounted it and the steel braid line on my '01 (this is now on roostafish's bike). It had a larger piston with slightly harder pull and slightly greater disengagement. It worked well.

jeff

Zeal 04-07-2009 06:00 PM

Good feed back. I like the idea of switching everything out including the line, but leaving the part that bolts to the case.

Do you know if the Cannodale master cylinder is the same as the one used on a KTM?

Has anyone tried this with the brembo master cylinder?

Zeal

jefgil123 04-09-2009 01:32 PM

I spotted a Nissin Clutch master cylinder on a Beta at the last enduro.
Never had a Nissin M.Cyl. leak on me yet........hmmmmm.

Zeal 04-17-2009 10:56 AM

OK, I have done a bit more research, and am ready to buy an master cylinder (Magura). The AJP website is a good resource. I am pretty sure that the gasgas 2T models come with a 9.5mm bore piston, and the stock KTM 2T comes with a 10.5mm piston. However, the Magura 9.5mm Piston model is available (stock on a number of the 4T models).

I know that some of you have mounted the 10.5mm Magura, has anyone tried the 9.5mm Magura?

Zeal

GMP 04-17-2009 11:50 AM

You can't relate just bore size between the AJP and Magure master cyls., as the stroke is most likely different due to lever/pivot geometry. You have to know the volume displaced. Measure the strokes and calculate volume, as well as the slave cyl. bore size. Then you can calculate actual slave travel for each master cyl. comparted to stock.