GasGas Riders Club Forum

GasGas Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Another new to Gas Gas (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18167)

2taddict 09-13-2014 07:25 PM

Another new to Gas Gas
 
I have recently been looking at 2009,2010 & 2011 ec300's for sale. After selling my wr250 I want something with a little bit more power and little lower seat height.
I know little about ec300 model year changes but think that 2006ish - 2011 are the same bike then changes were made on 2011 - 2015. When I say changes I mean engine, chassis, suspension.... not bling & bolt on.

desertgasser300 09-13-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2taddict (Post 140545)
I have recently been looking at 2009,2010 & 2011 ec300's for sale. After selling my wr250 I want something with a little bit more power and little lower seat height.
I know little about ec300 model year changes but think that 2006ish - 2011 are the same bike then changes were made on 2011 - 2015. When I say changes I mean engine, chassis, suspension.... not bling & bolt on.

2012 to 2015 was when major changes came, ie, frame, forks. The later bikes have a different feel to them and are taller then the earlier bikes.

2taddict 09-13-2014 09:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification

Jakobi 09-13-2014 10:03 PM

You can almost group them up. Each year has had steady updates, however 2012+ would be most significant with the major changes to the frame and linkage. Forks on all years kind of pattered between 45mm Marzocchis, 48mm Sachs, Ohlins TTX and 48mm CC Marzocchis, depending on the particular model you got. Shocks Ohlins 888/TTX or Sachs.

2007-2009 are all good with the old frame, solid subframe, reliable engine. Few costmetic changes from year to year.
2010/2011 - Updated 'B' frame, slimmer plastics, some changes to water pump and fitment of the AS2 carbs. Note some models came with 36mm carbs.
2012/2013+ - New frame, plastics, refined engine further, some plastic subframes on models.
2014 Saw weight reductions and changes to engine casings, head, and Reiger rear shock.

gaza300 09-15-2014 01:52 AM

Hi

there has been a few changes to the bikes in the last few years , I have just changed from an RMX450 to a 2013 xc 300 , had my first ride at the berm buster last weekend , it is the best change i have ever made , they are a great bike.

2taddict 09-22-2014 05:46 AM

I ended up getting a 2006 model that I think was first sold late 2007. Seems to be in good condition and well looked after. If I want to upgrade I will sell it later with one of my road bikes and get a current model.
It's got Ohlins front and rear so that's a + I think? In another post I was looking to find out what mods they need but jetting seems to be the only thing required.
Does anyone know If a n3eg jet kit will may any real difference to this model and where can I get one in Australia?

2taddict 09-22-2014 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgasser300 (Post 140547)
2012 to 2015 was when major changes came, ie, frame, forks. The later bikes have a different feel to them and are taller then the earlier bikes.

do you need a thermo fan fitted in a hot climate like 80 to 100F?

desertgasser300 09-22-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2taddict (Post 140933)
do you need a thermo fan fitted in a hot climate like 80 to 100F?

No fan needed, if you ride in 100F you're a stud! My only problem was on long strenuous climbs lately the hose was building up enough pressure to come off of the thermostat they put on the later models. Once removed I haven't had any problems. My buddies Kx450f and his friends new pumpkin both boiled 2 weeks ago in some nasty uphill slow rocks, the gasser kept plugging along.

2taddict 09-22-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgasser300 (Post 140940)
No fan needed, if you ride in 100F you're a stud! My only problem was on long strenuous climbs lately the hose was building up enough pressure to come off of the thermostat they put on the later models. Once removed I haven't had any problems. My buddies Kx450f and his friends new pumpkin both boiled 2 weeks ago in some nasty uphill slow rocks, the gasser kept plugging along.

Thanks for the reply.
90' days are the norm where I live and days that reach 97' are not uncommon. "I don't ride much when it gets that hot though".
I had to put a fan on my KTM530 and it would cut in as soon as I'd drop below 30mph without any hard work up hills, just tight tracks.
I could ride the Husky WR250 anywhere without any problems though. I loved that bike but not having a 6th gear soooo frustrating.

Jakobi 09-23-2014 02:48 AM

Where are you located? I might have an N3EG - maybe. If not any KTM dealer can order them in for you on request.

I'm in FNQ. Always hot and humid up here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org