Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Other GasGas Bikes/Quads (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   EC250F vs EC250 Cami (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22194)

billybob69 12-17-2016 11:40 AM

EC250F vs EC250 Cami

Hi all,

I?m looking for a replacement for my Honda CRF230F and a considering a circa. 2014 Gasser.

As I?m relatively short (5ft 6?) and light, a bike that has a lower seat height and is relatively light is a definite bonus for me.

Initially the Cami seemed ideal for me, but I do get nervous about the Chinese made engine (from what I can tell it is made by a company called Zongshen). Are there any UK based Cami owners on the forum - have you ever needed to order any engine parts and did you experience any difficulties in getting them?

Then I started to look at the EC250F. Again it looked good as it has a Yamaha WR250F engine in it, but it seems that it has slightly longer forks and shocks which takes the seat height to 960mm ? making it one of the tallest greenlaners on the market. However it is much lighter at 108kg.

Any feedback of the Cami vs the EC250F is much appreciated.

One last question; am I right in thinking that the frame, plastics, auxiliaries etc are likely to be the same across the 2014 4s range?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

john r b 12-18-2016 09:36 AM

I'd go with the EC250F

gasser 12-18-2016 10:14 AM

Rather than the Cami you might want to take a close look at the AJP bikes from Portugal. I talked to a former GasGas owner who has one and he loves it.

billybob69 12-21-2016 03:50 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 173444)
Interesting dilemma, comparing one dead horse to another.

EC250F and Cami are both non-supported bikes now
but if forced to pick between those 2, I would go with EC250F simply because of the Yamaha engine. Yes its tall, but that is easily fixed. But with Cami, while shorter, its heavy, underpowered and under suspended.

The jury is still out on AJP long term durability. They're tall, and rather cobby looking when you get up close but...listening to their riders, they really like the bikes. Like Gasser, I have a buddy down in TN who bought one and loves it...for what it is.

Overall, if I were looking for a semi-serious 4 stroke that was going to be used at a C class level and value price between the 3 listed? It would be AJP, but...why not consider an EC two stroke model? It can be lowered, power mellowed out some and still have plenty of power on tap. Keep in mind, I', 5'6 too and once the sag is properly set...I have no problems other than not having the guts to pull the throttle back far enough :)

Can you explain what you mean by "non-supported" bikes now. Do you mean that the bikes are no longer made? But I'm assuming that you can still get parts for them? Engines, forks n shocks apart, the rest of the bike(s) look interchangeable with other GG 4s. Is that not the case?

Yeah, I've already had a look at an AJP, like you I came to the conclusion that they were tall and the build quality didn't seem up to the standard of a Gasser.

If I went down the route of a low seat height, mellow 2 stroke I think that I just plump for the ready made version - a KTM 250R Freeride :-)

Anders 12-21-2016 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob69 (Post 173452)
Thanks for the replies.

Can you explain what you mean by "non-supported" bikes now. Do you mean that the bikes are no longer made? But I'm assuming that you can still get parts for them? Engines, forks n shocks apart, the rest of the bike(s) look interchangeable with other GG 4s. Is that not the case?

Correct, none of these bikes are made now. But that shouldn't keep you off buying them (at least not the EC250F). While I don't know the Cami (I have never seen one here in my part of the world), the EC250F is, for all practical purposes, a standard Yamaha engine in a standard Gasgas chassis. Getting parts for either should be no problem. Gasgas did change some small details around the Yamaha engine (adding a hydraulic clutch and removing the dry sump oil tank), but that shouldn't make any problems parts-wise.
In your case, I would go with the 250F.

Leo 12-21-2016 05:06 AM

That's why GasGas need a EC200 2T.

john r b 12-21-2016 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 173456)
That's why GasGas need a EC200 2T.

+1 I'm with Leo

gasser 12-21-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob69 (Post 173452)
Thanks for the replies.

If I went down the route of a low seat height, mellow 2 stroke I think that I just plump for the ready made version - a KTM 250R Freeride :-)

The KTM Freeride is a weird apple I.M.H.O. The bike is very tall relative to its length(due to way too much ground clearence), no engine power valve, and way too expensive. The Beta Xtrainer is a much better all around bike for most trail riders (freeride is closer to a trials bike).

rvangeel 12-21-2016 07:36 PM

What about a 2 stroke 200 or 250? You mentioned that you are 5'6" and light. I am 5'7" and 125 lbs. I've had a KTM 250XCFW back in 2008 and didn't like it. It was too heavy and not enough snap in the motor to lift the front wheel when you need to. Before my gasser I've owned two KTM 200's. I was going to get another KTM 200 or 250 when I came across a great deal on an EC250. I lowered it 1.5" front and rear and love it. I can touch the ground flat footed which gives a lot of confidence in the technical sections. The motor is super smooth and added power over my 200 is icing on the cake when climbing hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rvangeel 12-21-2016 07:40 PM

Forgot to mention: a 2 stroke is much easier and cheaper to maintain. If you are looking at used bikes, purchasing a 4 stroke bike, it could be minutes away from a complete rebuild that would cost a pretty penny. Worst case scenario with a 2 stroke rebuild would probably be half the cost of the 4 stroke rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk