Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Raising the bars.... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12286)

r00zter 04-27-2012 08:46 AM

Raising the bars....

Ok guys...need your help again please. I have come to the conclusion that I need to raise the handlebar height on my 2011 300 to better fit my 6'2" frame and long limbs. I need some suggestions on how to do this. I'm still pretty much a noob when it comes to aftermarket changes, so I need some guidance. I'm considering these,

http://www.trialendurodirect.com/pro...DURO_EC_7.html

but I'm not sure if they are what I need. Also, the previous owner of my bike put KTM Nekken bars on it and I'm not sure if those clamps will fit that type because they are for "fatbars" only. My old KTM had fatbars, and they looked about the same size as these Nekken ones, although I'm not positive. Thanks.

swazi_matt 04-27-2012 09:25 AM

Dont want to sound like the bar-raiser-nazi, but i think before you get these maybe get an experienced racer to make sure that you are sitting and standing in the correct position - this position may require some initial adjustments and strengthening before it feels comfortable

reason i say this is that you do not see any pro's with large bar raisers, and i know for a fact that Chris Birch (6'1) and David Knight (6'6) are very anti bar raisers

Some have said the GG is more cramped than the KTM which is why you should get someone to check your stance.

thumperrider1 04-27-2012 10:33 AM

A submount damper would raise them up. :)

andoman 04-27-2012 10:51 AM

+1 on the submount
but...
+2 on body position. If your bars are in the most forward position and you are in the attack position, the Gasser should fit even your size.

GMP 04-27-2012 12:00 PM

True. Look at all the fast guy's bikes, even big fast guys, and you see low bars.

r00zter 04-27-2012 01:17 PM

Points taken. I left a detail out as to why I though I needed to raise the bars. After a long day of riding a couple weeks ago, my thumbs began aching, and haven't stopped. Like mostly in the meaty palm area and down the thumb ligaments. I never had this happen on my ktm 300 so I was guessing it was the bar height.

GMP 04-27-2012 02:35 PM

Whats the sweep like on those? Too much sweep, especially when rotated foward, has given me hand problems in the past.

bowhunter007 04-27-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 85442)
Whats the sweep like on those? Too much sweep, especially when rotated foward, has given me hand problems in the past.

+1 on the sweep +2 on the body position. I personally just changed out my bars. I did get taller bars +1/2 in. More importantly, they have a sweep that is very comfortable for me. I was sore as hell after my first 3 or 4 rides, when a more experienced rider helped set my bars correctly(at least a starting point). Then watched me ride, and helped with body position. In time I've fine tuned these to get what's right for me.

swazi_matt 04-27-2012 03:50 PM

GG comes with small spacer washers under the bar clamPs. They are about 2-3mm thick I would guess you could stack another set in there to give a slight rise

Wimpy525 04-27-2012 04:51 PM

I'm tall 6'6" and have allways run bar risers untill I got the GG this year. I have now been riding the GG without and probably wont put them in. I did swap the bars out for taller bars with the least amount of sweep back that i could get. Now when I get back on the 525 if feels strange with all the bar rise will be getting rid of the risers. The amount of sweeep back plays heavy on the wrist in my opinon, especially when rolled foward. KX high bend bars are what I run on my 12 300.