Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What did you do to your Gas Gas today? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16277)

adv rider 05-02-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fst96se (Post 166708)
I'm in Boise, and might have my awesome13 up for sale soon!

My friend won't be ready until around sept. , or so. And he's really cheap, so will be looking for a budget priced one.

adv rider 05-03-2016 10:18 PM

Can't wait to instal this! Along with a jetting change, trying to make it "snappy"http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c5c3c4f041.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakobi 05-04-2016 07:03 AM

I discovered that I've kept putting the linkage bearings off for a bit too long.

The swingarm sets (sealed with o-ring) are in great shape.. some fresh grease and all is well!

The linkage sets that GG used normal lipped seals on are wasted. Will need new bushes and bearings. The seals had no lips left and fell apart on removal. I'll be reinstalling them with O-rings I think! (or both).

Jim Cook 05-04-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 166836)
I discovered that I've kept putting the linkage bearings off for a bit too long.

The swingarm sets (sealed with o-ring) are in great shape.. some fresh grease and all is well!

The linkage sets that GG used normal lipped seals on are wasted. Will need new bushes and bearings. The seals had no lips left and fell apart on removal. I'll be reinstalling them with O-rings I think! (or both).

Some years, the GG bikes came with seals. Later years (early 2000s), they often came with o-rings.

I always install the seals in the swingarm and linkages with the opening to the outside. I feel that this does a better job of keeping the mud and debris out (instead of primarily keeping the grease in.)
Quite often, I install an oring into the outward facing open cavity of the seal. This has worked best for me over the last 19 years.

Jakobi 05-04-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cook (Post 166839)
Some years, the GG bikes came with seals. Later years (early 2000s), they often came with o-rings.

I always install the seals in the swingarm and linkages with the opening to the outside. I feel that this does a better job of keeping the mud and debris out (instead of primarily keeping the grease in.)
Quite often, I install an oring into the outward facing open cavity of the seal. This has worked best for me over the last 19 years.

Thanks Jim,

Any issues removing the seals once installed backwards to maintain? I would guess you don't have to as the o ring will keep the dirt away from the seal so it should be as easy as wiping them out and repacking with fresh grease, once pushing the bush out.

Jim Cook 05-04-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 166855)
Thanks Jim,

Any issues removing the seals once installed backwards to maintain? I would guess you don't have to as the o ring will keep the dirt away from the seal so it should be as easy as wiping them out and repacking with fresh grease, once pushing the bush out.

Greasing is just as you stated.
Removing the seals is the same, for me anyway, as when they are turned in the conventional position. (I use my hand pumped hydraulic press.)

3beejay3 05-05-2016 07:07 AM

I use a mix of wheel bearing grease and anti-seize (about 80:20) in all my linkage and swingarm bearings. I also pack the gap between the axle seal and wheel bearings with this same mix. After every wash, or ride that was full of water crossings, I give a shot of WD40 to every pivot point/axle seal.

I check on the lower shock mount every 50-75 hrs, as it's the canary in the coal mine for linkage maintenance. If the lube in it is still good, everything else is still good.

Never had a bearing go bad with this method. Never have had to replace wheel bearings.

Jakobi 05-05-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3beejay3 (Post 166894)
I use a mix of wheel bearing grease and anti-seize (about 80:20) in all my linkage and swingarm bearings. I also pack the gap between the axle seal and wheel bearings with this same mix. After every wash, or ride that was full of water crossings, I give a shot of WD40 to every pivot point/axle seal.

I check on the lower shock mount every 50-75 hrs, as it's the canary in the coal mine for linkage maintenance. If the lube in it is still good, everything else is still good.

Never had a bearing go bad with this method. Never have had to replace wheel bearings.

I avoid pressure washers, and follow similar maintenance schedules, using a high quality grease. I do however, ride in water crossings every time the bike goes out. There is no such thing as a ride without. I service my shock more frequently than 50-75 hrs and every time the shock comes out the linkages get greased. Just unfortunate that the seals let go and the damage has been done.

I generally have the wheel off a couple times before I replace the rubber, but if I don't at 30hrs the axles get dried out a bit and don't slide out as easily by hand anymore. Not seized by any means, but in need of lube. It's just the conditions I ride in. The answer is to do things more frequently.. easy said, but hard when time is tight and you need to schedule to wash the bike let alone regrease all the pivots.

MargusV 05-14-2016 02:09 PM

Someone got a new toy. No, not me, but friend of mine. Assembled yesterday, used today :)

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...30257359_o.jpg

fst96se 05-14-2016 02:58 PM

That looks like a 2017!