Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Aluminum particles all over the place 2018 300 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26017)

5valve 11-21-2022 02:51 PM

Aluminum particles all over the place 2018 300

4 Attachment(s)
During slow ride gearbox locked in 1st, then freed and worked flawlessly again.
I do hear some noise now with clutch disengaged and occasional, could even be, extreme chain like rattle sound.

By hand, everything is rock solid, no play, rotates freely, no broken case parts, at least on the outside.

Since currently not really up to tearing engine again, I'd flush it and clean all rotating parts, clutch etc.. Whats would be better, diesel or gasoline?

3rd pic shows really amateurish oil cutout from rekluse.

Only alu, no steel, checked by magnet.

Any experience with that?

swazi_matt 11-21-2022 05:21 PM

I can't comment on the aluminium particles, but my gut feeling is they shouldn't be there

with flushing i have used parafin / Kerosene to flush the gearbox after a deep swim. If you cant get that, i would rather go with diesel over gas, just because it is closer to being an oil - and you are less likely to set yourself on fire

Anders 11-22-2022 01:48 AM

I'm with Swazi_Matt here, those particles should not be there ;)

Perhapse something is rubbing inside the gearbox? Did you split the engine at some point? Sounds like e.g. a shim may have been misplaced.

I think a flushing will do just that; flush particles out. And then I would assume more particles will be produced until you fix the root cause.

EDIT:
Could it be the water pump impeller that's rubbing?

(F5) 11-22-2022 12:18 PM

The gearbox locked and there's shrapnel everywhere and you want us to tell you it's ok to ignore it because it would be inconvenient?

Sure. Dave says; It's ok.

Start saving.

Wear armour for when it locks in 4th and the clutch doesn't save you.

SS109 11-22-2022 12:32 PM

Time to find out for sure where those aluminum particles are coming from. Start disassembling until you find it.

swazi_matt 11-22-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 200757)
I'm with Swazi_Matt here, those particles should not be there ;)

Perhapse something is rubbing inside the gearbox? Did you split the engine at some point? Sounds like e.g. a shim may have been misplaced.

I think a flushing will do just that; flush particles out. And then I would assume more particles will be produced until you fix the root cause.

EDIT:
Could it be the water pump impeller that's rubbing?

wouldn't the waterpump impellor rub on the water side, not engine side?

Anders 11-22-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 200764)
wouldn't the waterpump impellor rub on the water side, not engine side?

Yes, I think you are right

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

5valve 11-25-2022 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Engine was apart already 2 times, unrelated issue, main bearing failure.
Worked flawlessly for 30 hrs since.

Alu impeler is not damaged and cant enter gear/clutch.
Gearbox didnt get stuck, it seems like some foreign piece on the clutch side temporarily jammed under outer shift fork, freed instantly, and got ground all over the place.

No magnetic debris whatsovever.

I've inspected everything on the right side, and there is absolutely no damage or broken off parts from case, clutch basket etc. Checked clutch plate by plate..nothing unusual. @95 hrs like new.
Also, by my knowledge, the is no aluminum engine parts in the gearbox, except cases, so nothing should come loose, even alu washers are not present.

Flushed with gasoline today, will do some more, guessing 90% clean.

Might forgot sth in there that lasted 3 service intervals, time will tell.

Zman 11-25-2022 09:19 PM

Sounds like it had a piece of Aluminum debris in the trans which is not impossible. I have previously posted on a half dozen shim washers I found in the crankcase of our 2003 DE300. I believe they were in there from the factory.

5valve 11-29-2022 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting find, when removed pressure plate from clutch gear. Anodization still in place over cavitated/worn/ bad cast surface, so it was like that from factory. Therefore this is not the culprit.
Now cleaned soon test.