Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Expansion tank exploaded (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10911)

moto9 11-01-2011 01:51 AM

Expansion tank exploaded

So, a group of us were out hammering thru the riverbeds and single track...totally abusing the bike.
Stopped for a rest and and "kaboom", scared the hell out of everyone!
Sounded like a Glock 45
The whole bottom of the tank blew out.
Anyway, I just eliminated it and ran a straight connector hose.
Anyone else running wthout the tank?
Just curious.

swazi_matt 11-01-2011 02:15 AM

the 2011 do not have the tank, but have a 1.8bar radiator cap

lankydoug 11-01-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto9 (Post 73421)
So, a group of us were out hammering thru the riverbeds and single track...totally abusing the bike.
Stopped for a rest and and "kaboom", scared the hell out of everyone!
Sounded like a Glock 45
The whole bottom of the tank blew out.
Anyway, I just eliminated it and ran a straight connector hose.
Anyone else running wthout the tank?
Just curious.

The vent must have been clogged. I don't run one on either of my bikes, instead I fill the radiator to just cover the cooling ports and let the last 3/4" (top of the radiator tank) act as the expansion chamber.

GMP 11-01-2011 11:10 AM

It happens. That tank is a bad idea, as its prone to damage from abrasion and subsequent failure. I remove it before riding the bike, and leave an air gap as was mentioned. A KTM 1.4 bar cap works fine. Moto9, for the real slow hell rides you do, you can add a couple of the inline alloy finned coolers, they work great. I have those and an LTR impeller and never loose a drop in any conditions, even grunting around with the kids. EVANS NPG R coolant is also an option.

john01 11-01-2011 01:39 PM

I'm running my 2010 GG 300 without one. Took it off when we removed the light for a numberplate; no problems to date.

PEB 11-01-2011 02:08 PM

I boil the piss out of my bike regularly, I always know it its coming cause the KTM's are puking way before mine. I need to try the expensive coolants. But water is just so cheap and always available, plus I don't start gagging when I inhale plain steam.

GMP 11-01-2011 02:23 PM

Paul,

Likely from elevation. Run an LTR or Checkmate impeller and the NPG R. It will not boil. If it made my Cannondale ridable in the gnarly stuff a GG is no problem. Engine Ice may be slightly better than basic water/antifreeze, plain water boils easiest.

swazi_matt 11-02-2011 12:46 AM

You can also hook up the GG trials bike fan onto the ec without too much effort

moto9 11-02-2011 02:21 AM

I have the 1.8 cap already and a catch tank I made out of PVC...which works great BTW.

I think I'd do the computer fan and battery...if (in the future) I might need one.

Hey GMP have you tried the Evans coolant.....what's your evaluation of it???
It's actually not a bad price if it works.

john01 11-02-2011 07:15 AM

Hey guys I've tried and used Redline Water Wetter in a 5.0 supercharged mustang with full gagues and know it works. I also used it in my 07 Honda 450R which would over heat if you thought about stopping; worked great in that also.