Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2018 swing arm protection (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23615)

Gibnut 06-05-2018 04:23 AM

2018 swing arm protection

1 Attachment(s)
With the 250 being such a looker, I?m keen to keep the bike in reasonable nick for as long as possible. Now, where I mainly ride is rocky & swing arms cop a lot of abuse - particularly when you are a Gumby like moi - so a swing arm protector makes sense.

However, due to the dearth of 2018 Gas Gas after-market parts, I had to take a punt & it turned out to be a pretty good one. I selected a Polisport CR-F 250-450, ?11-?15 guard from MXStore in Australia for about $50AUD. Note - to my eye, the KTM swing arm is a closer match than the Honda, but I couldn?t source the KTM Polisport guard in Oz. What?s that old saying about necessity being a mutha?..

Anyhow, the guard for the Honda MX-er is a fair bit longer on both sides, but with a bit of trimmage it actually fitted up pretty well. Extra holes are required at the non-axle ends to secure the guard to the swingarm - easy to to drill with a 5mm bit. I used my Dremel to shape the Polisport guard to the GG?s swing arm shape & the massive Zipties that came with the guard should hold it on.

Harry 06-05-2018 05:40 PM

Nice, it looks like a bought one :D

farmerj 11-04-2018 08:57 PM

How are these swingarm guards working out? I'm wondering if moisture and dirt gets trapped underneath and causes corrosion? Or no problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

RudolfHucker 11-05-2018 02:14 AM

I'm not a fan of these guards as they need to be removed every ride and cleaned to stop mud and small stones grinding the swingarm.

I prefer heavy duty vinyl sticker type protectors.

I believe that the 2018/2019 EC swingarm is the KTM XC linkage unit given that the chain guides and other parts are the same as the KTM.

swazi_matt 11-05-2018 01:31 PM

I have had the hyde guard on mine since new. I just put a good amount of duct tape over the swingarm before fitting and a bit of silicone at the front to stop any sand getting in there. it looks likes its holding up, but i imagine removing the tape glue will eb fun when i get to it.

PS i can guarantee that my swingarm would have been scratched through by now by the amount of damage i have on my (second) set of guards

Doc Brown 11-07-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerj (Post 186856)
How are these swingarm guards working out? I'm wondering if moisture and dirt gets trapped underneath and causes corrosion? Or no problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

I had them on my Kato and never removed them. After one season I took them off and what I found didn't amuse me. Lots of dirt and muck, scratches and something looking like mold. Took me hours to clean the swing arm and bring it back to its original look also required a brass brush.

Gasser Nate 11-07-2018 06:12 PM

I like the war wounds! Let?s me know it has been ridden. And makes me try and keep the front up in the nasty stuff!

rodent 10-02-2019 01:14 AM

Does any one make a nice thick decal for the '19 that covers the "brushed" area?

I currently just run duct tape and am not interested in "boxing" it in. If I can't find something I keep duct taping :D