Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why are GG riders so down on KTM? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5508)

aardouzie 11-07-2009 11:19 AM

Why are GG riders so down on KTM?

Not defending them, no affiliation, don't own one, not Austrian, etc.
But if I hadn't found my GG, I'd probably ride an orange 300.

Anyway, just curious...

Berkyboy 11-07-2009 12:21 PM

this video kinda sums it up for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI07UH5OxIs

:D :D :D :D

AZRickD 11-07-2009 02:59 PM

No. I think this video sums it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLNZ6HHevP0

Those KTMers just can't be trusted.

gasgasman 11-07-2009 05:36 PM

Rick.
That's too funny!

roostafish 11-07-2009 09:37 PM

I'm not down on KTM. I love them. I hated the rear suspension for a while, but the new ones work great. I think you'll find that people hate things that are successful. People hate USC football because they are consistently good. Sure there are other teams that are great, but people hack on them because of how good they are. Similarly, KTM has found great success. They have pulled themselves back from bankruptcy in 1991, to be a major player in the market now. They really only sell dirtbikes. Sure, they have a couple of lame road bikes, but they live and die by dirt bikes. That's saying something.

I do think that Gas Gas makes a better off road bike for woods riding, but I'd own a KTM in a heartbeat.

skid jackson 11-07-2009 10:35 PM

its a david and goliath thing ....
I almost got a ktm 200 but they are too fat and clunky feeling down at the pegs. both my gas gas and my husky have very good foot peg ergos. I did ride a 400 exc that was fine though ....

JEEPUSAURUS 11-07-2009 11:01 PM

I own both, and i feel that they are each great in there own way.

JRDoz 11-08-2009 01:06 AM

I just don't like the Orange colour and the fact that everyone owns one.. Too much orange on my eyes !!!

TooFastTim 11-08-2009 04:37 AM

You reckon we're down on Katooms? Maybe. I'm cautious about slagging them off. They're a good bike. Some people don't get on with them, most do. I also admire how KTM have regrouped after their near bamkruptcy in the early nineties and have built themselves into the company they are now.

When Gassers were first imported into South Africa the crap about Gassers that flew around from the KTM guys was close to libellous (sp?) I suspect that the KTM importer was really worried about them and I suspect that KTM factory is too. That tiny little Spanish factory is a real thorn in the giants side. Numerous WEC and WTC to their name and they just won the ISDE overall. Bloody right KTM are worried.

I think that Gasser guys get a lot of crap from the KTM guys and give it back. Best keep your mouth shut though and wait until we rule the world....<evil laugh exits stage right...soon my sweet we will rule the world..>

stay_upright 11-15-2009 12:03 PM

I find people defend KTM's and claim they are better even when they have never ridden a gasser. I rode both and the gasser was better but only for suspension, brakes, motor and handling ;)

It kind of winds me up a bit but is also an advantage since they *think* they have a better machine.

Adrian 11-15-2009 02:46 PM

I get it all the time. I get asked" hey Adrian when are you going to get a Ktm" I reply with " when they make a bike that works better. Gas gas has its problems. Fit and finish plain sucks. It takes me longer to set one up, but it is all stuff that can be done at home. Its a one time thing. The gasgas handles way better with no suspension work. At least I think so. Most the top Ktm riders I race with spend good money on suspension. I think the pds platform makes the suspension more touchy and hard to dial in for varying conditions. I'm racing on a five year old bike with no mechanical modifications at all except a 3mm honda clutch. I feel that gasgas like the Ronco Showtime rotisseries "set it and forget it". Adjustments only. I have a 2005 practice bike that I did the RB head mod to. and it came back with the squish band still off because of a difference in compression distances in the pistons. I pulled the .05mm base gasket out and now the bike is dangerous. It hits extremely hard off idle. Would be good for mx. Not for technical tight woods. It makes me think just how good they are stock. I have two 2005's 300's a practice bike and a race bike and don't want to ride the bike with the modded motor. I'm going to put the base gaskets back to stock and have the squish off a bit.http://b.static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.ph...931450697&ev=0 This is my bike I put together for LMS But did'nt get to go.

dave948 11-15-2009 03:54 PM

KTM must have one of the best marketing departments in the world. For years they sold junk for top dollar and people couldn't get them fast enough. The bikes are getting better but still don't live up to all the hype. 90% of the guys blowing KTM smoke up people's buts haven't been on anything else in years, if at all.
The two things orange have going for them is: 1 you can borrow any part you need at an off road race, there are 100's at every event. 2. Aftermarket parts with everything you could ever want.

stevethebrit 11-15-2009 04:05 PM

I think that dave948 has a point there. I rode a suzuki DR before and broke a clutch lever on an offroad event. Got offered 3 or 4 KTM hydraulic levers..... DRs have a cable clutch. KTM never really appealed to me, the're just too "common". I did have a pink '96 TM250 before though.......

Adrian 11-15-2009 04:14 PM

Most gas gas riders I know own more than one. They are like a VD. Fun to get hard to get rid of. I just bring 2 bikes if I'm not going with a gasgas gang. Hell I own 4 of them. I can't seem to want to part with them. I think gasgas could rise to compete in the US market. It seems to me that gasgas has a small company stigma to overcome. If they even want to.

101racing 11-22-2009 06:02 PM

My opinion , had both GG and KTM , KTM better fit and finish,more available after market everything, 08 and up handle very well and are reliable.KTM downs are :5spd trans, wider at the tank,300's tend to heat easy. GG not as good of fit and finnish but are getting allot better, super good woods handling,6spd trans, power valve adjustability not as easy as KTM , stay cool in extreem conditions, resale values are horrible, very easy to get parts fast through Go-fasters.

dank 11-26-2009 08:02 PM

sticking together

my girlfriend, the person who got me into riding, owns ktm. i own a gasgas. she likes hers, i like mine. i think that nobody should be ragged on for what kind of bike they ride or what kind of riding they do. mx'rs shouldnt rag on enduro riders and viceversa. as long as their straddled over something with 2 wheels and a motor they should be accepted and praised. there are not enough dirt bike riders to be alienating ourselves from each other. its not like theres anybody in the government standing up for our right to ride. we need to stand strong together to fight for our rights. we cannot afford to be divided on something as small and insignificant as brand preference. as long as your riding it doesnt matter

lankydoug 08-04-2010 10:01 AM

People hate USC football because they are consistently good. Sure there are other teams that are great, but people hack on them because of how good they are.

Your support of KTM is hamstrung by the reference to USC. People hate USC because they cheat. (How do you like Reggie Bush now):D :D

REVERUP 08-04-2010 04:33 PM

In my circle it isn't only Gas Gas riders that razz the KTM guys its Yamaha guys, Husky guys etc...

We just love hatin on the lemmings. The funny thing is a large portion of my friends and peers are lemmings.:)

I love all dirt bikes and actually would buy a certain model KTM if it wasn't so darned expensive. The new electric one looks really good. Its stealthiness would be great for the little land I have around my place.

Roscoe

dcg141 08-04-2010 09:44 PM

You know whats wierd for those of us that have been on KTM's for the long haul is that I remember when I had probably one of the few KTM's in my state. There was a time when if you rode a KTM you were waaaay in the minority. I don't get much blowback because most of the riders that know me know that I go back to Pentons. The thing is I always liked European bikes and still do. I liked KTM's so much I became a dealer. Then a Husaberg dealer and soon to be a GasGas dealer.

DeBandi 08-05-2010 05:50 PM

I love my KTM.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_5080.jpg

I love my Husky.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMG_1174-2.jpg

And, I love my GasGas.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_1522.jpg

Different brands serving different needs.

skid jackson 08-05-2010 07:06 PM

Those bikes are way to clean .. especially the dirtbikes ...
do you actually ride them ... or are they garage queens!!!

nice 950 btw!!!

gg3 08-06-2010 12:40 AM

Support the underdogs!The KTM's are greats bikes,even the tree hugging,sandel wearing,latte drinking,beer with a twist of lime ,hair product & skin regime riders are ok.I ride with some & personally enjoy the banter.

DeBandi 08-06-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skid jackson (Post 46902)
Those bikes are way to clean .. especially the dirtbikes ...
do you actually ride them ... or are they garage queens!!!

nice 950 btw!!!

950 has 35,000
610 has 11,000

All dual sport miles. I just try to take care of my stuff. They are not garage queens. www.exploringalabama.net

Thanks...

Neil E. 08-06-2010 07:45 AM

You have an excellent selection of bikes. About as good as it gets. The GasGas should let you do more deep woods exploring. You might even find those last few railroad trestles. Your ride reports are great!

jhendr3702 08-06-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeBandi (Post 46913)
950 has 35,000
610 has 11,000

All dual sport miles. I just try to take care of my stuff. They are not garage queens. www.exploringalabama.net

Thanks...

very nice bikes.....

i know this is an old thread.. and i am not a brand hater... i ride with a guy who has one of the ktm 300 estarts and we are good friends..
the other day we went riding and some of his ktm buddies starting talking down on my gas gas... was not too happy about that....when i questioned them on why they felt that way, none really knew, and had never seen a gas gas in person before... had to show them how an old 01 300 would do everything their new pumpkins would do... and then some...

REVERUP 08-06-2010 09:50 AM

I think what it is.... is we all hear too much KTM this, KTM that.
You know, all the biased shootout articles that don't include every bike or every condition for their test, but ultimately KTM is the pinnacle.
The common newbie that you over hear saying I'm getting a KTM there the best.
Your friends constantly wearing, talking, bragging, living KTM.The funny thing is their always talking about fixing things on them, leaking counter shaft, suspension stiction, leaky gas cap etc....
You show up to an enduro and its like the great pumpkin had offspring all over the forest. Then your forced to weave though them like safety cones.
I remember a time when broken green plastic littered our forest, now its orange. At least the green blended in a little. :rolleyes:

Roscoe

jriley43 08-06-2010 10:46 AM

To me the argument should not be between KTM and Gasgas, it should be between jap. bikes and Euro. bikes... In my opinion I will never buy another Jap. bike again

I think the people will still hate USC even if they start lost every game for the next 20 yrs

jhendr3702 08-06-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REVERUP (Post 46919)
You know, all the biased shootout articles that don't include every bike or every condition for their test, but ultimately KTM is the pinnacle.
Your friends constantly wearing, talking, bragging, living KTM.The funny thing is their always talking about fixing things on them, leaking counter shaft, suspension stiction, leaky gas cap etc....
You show up to an enduro and its like the great pumpkin had offspring all over the forest. Then your forced to weave though them like safety cones.
I remember a time when broken green plastic littered our forest, now its orange. At least the green blended in a little. :rolleyes:

Roscoe

good point roscoe on fixing the ktms.... also forgot on this particular day, one ktm had to rejet and do some other things to (tank and seat off, but between all of them they had enough ktm tools in their ktm packs to do that)(this is at our normal riding area) and one of the other ones lost rear brake completly....
my gg has yet to need anything other than normal maint stuff ....

gg3 08-06-2010 05:54 PM

Does anyone now which bike manufacturer enforced a patent on the GasGas electric start system?

gasgasman 08-06-2010 06:15 PM

This is off the Gas Gas FaceBook page.........:D :eek:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...4_931442_n.jpg

roostafish 08-06-2010 06:31 PM

I used to ride an XR 250. I used to love puttin' the wood to people on my little "girls bike." Same with the Gas Gas. People who don't know me sometimes make strange Gas Gas comments, but they usually stop if they ride with me, especially if we're on my home turf. Like Lance Armstrong titled his book. "It's Not About the Bike." Frankly, some folks think they're junk. I let the ride speak for itself, besides, if I can't keep up, I can blame it on my junky bike. :D NOT!

On USC. Ponder for yourself: Your senior year of H.S. the scholarship offers come, you visit a few campus.... Washington, Oregon State, USC, Texas Tech, Michigan State. It's February. The downright in your face fact that USC has won several national football championships, and will again while you are here at school, just a matter of fact. Nice weather, girls in t-shirts and shorts (remember, it's February). A quick, subdued reminder that you may not play 'til your senior year, but hey, that championship... And if you do end up playing, your chances of going to the NFL are higher coming out of USC than anywhere else you may be pondering...

SOLD!

lankydoug 08-07-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostafish (Post 46949)
I used to ride an XR 250. I used to love puttin' the wood to people on my little "girls bike." Same with the Gas Gas. People who don't know me sometimes make strange Gas Gas comments, but they usually stop if they ride with me, especially if we're on my home turf. Like Lance Armstrong titled his book. "It's Not About the Bike." Frankly, some folks think they're junk. I let the ride speak for itself, besides, if I can't keep up, I can blame it on my junky bike. :D NOT!

On USC. Ponder for yourself: Your senior year of H.S. the scholarship offers come, you visit a few campus.... Washington, Oregon State, USC, Texas Tech, Michigan State. It's February. The downright in your face fact that USC has won several national football championships, and will again while you are here at school, just a matter of fact. Nice weather, girls in t-shirts and shorts (remember, it's February). A quick, subdued reminder that you may not play 'til your senior year, but hey, that championship... And if you do end up playing, your chances of going to the NFL are higher coming out of USC than anywhere else you may be pondering...

SOLD!

I agree and I'm 100% sure that 80% of 75% of winning is not about the bike. Ha ha.

Second point; It's not all about horsepower we're not racing dynos it only matters what you can put to the ground.

If the NCAA cracks down on USC for cheating your scenario won't much matter because they won't have scholarships to give and there is more than one school with sunshine, girls and the ability to win.

I love USC... that's right, I just love to watch them lose. lol

ggg 08-07-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Roscoe

you forgot to add the worst front ends in the business that even now still require valve work or mostly likely a steering dampner to stop them from high speed twitching.

Bradz 08-08-2010 01:24 AM

I rode 2008/09 model KTM 200, 250 and 300 all excs, and a 05 GG EC300 loved the GG so much more, just felt like a much nicer bike and I was quicker on it straight of the bat.. this coming from only ever riding 4T 250s, made it an easy choice when working out what to buy, the 2010 Gassers look good also, and as added bonus I really dont like orange as a colour.. my 2cents worth.

roostafish 08-09-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Roscoe

It seems that you are not a lemming! ;) b Frankly, the amount of them out there doesn't have much to do with me not owning one. If I thought it was better, I'd be riding one. I don't care how many are at the starting line.

REVERUP 08-09-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostafish (Post 47038)
It seems that you are not a lemming! ;) b Frankly, the amount of them out there doesn't have much to do with me not owning one. If I thought it was better, I'd be riding one. I don't care how many are at the starting line.

Ha you know I'm not. I Bleed this brands colors. What ever color it happens to be for that particular year.

And yes Mike you are smarter than the average Joe!! but we both know we could win on any of the current manufactures 300's or 250 2 strokes. I however prefer to be loyal to this brand if it doesn't mean I have to throw way more money and energy at it to get the same outcome.

We need to get together for a ride soon.

Roscoe

geraldh 08-09-2010 11:57 PM

My 20 Rands Worth - (about 2 cents in any other country) buying and Riding a Gas Gas is about been slightly of centre, like listing to Grunge/punk or alternet music, I think we just want to be diferent for the sake of been different, the bikes being good is just a bonus..