Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cant get my front wheel off (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21009)

mwinschel 03-03-2016 12:13 PM

Cant get my front wheel off

Wondering what I am doing wrong / what to do next. The 8mm hex cover that holds the axle on does not want to move for me. I have loosened the two bolts on the side it is removed. I was trying to run it counter clockwised looking at the axle. It seemed like it tightened on me. Cant budge it and not sure what to do next. Is that hex cap nut thing reverse threaded? We had it off once before when I sent the suspension out, sure I didnt torque it down tight, typically use a torque wrench for everything. I tried removing the puller arm and pushing it though the other way but it appears to be clamped down on the other fork arm.

phoenix 03-03-2016 12:44 PM

It should push out toward the puller arm. So are you saying you can't get the big aluminum hex nut off? Nothing is reverse threaded. Sounds like it is just on too tight. Might need to tap on the wrench handle with a rubber mallet to break it free?

barossi73 03-03-2016 02:22 PM

Try loosening both clamps and see if you can rotate whole axle 1/2 turn so the puller arm is away from fork.use both puller arm and hex cap to rotate forward(you could slip a ring spanner over puller arm for leverage)this should free any binding between hexcap/clamps.then clamp the puller arm end and try loosening hexcap nut again.leave the puller arm pointing forward/down.once the hexcap is loose a few turns,loosen puller end also and rubber mallet the hex cap.remove cap,pull axle.when you reinstall leave a little clearance between puller arm and fork (makes it easier to get a ring spanner on)

mwinschel 03-03-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 164409)
It should push out toward the puller arm. So are you saying you can't get the big aluminum hex nut off? Nothing is reverse threaded. Sounds like it is just on too tight. Might need to tap on the wrench handle with a rubber mallet to break it free?

Correct, I cant get the aluminum hex nut off for some reason. I loosened all four bolts and took the puller lever arm off in hopes of pushing it through the other way with no luck. Tried the mallet before to no avail. Not sure why it would have been that tight. I actually tried after the mallet using my electric impact wrench to break it and it started to round the hex a bit from the impact without doing anything. Wondering if a little heat would help it. I am not a gorilla and typically tighten things to spec with a torque wrench, so I am not sure how it would have happened.

Jakobi 03-03-2016 04:39 PM

Did you remember to loosen the clamps on the nut side of the bike, while keeping the opposite tight. If the clamp is snugged up over the axle threads it'll be adding pressure to the threads and make them super hard to undo. Bit like trying to undo a fork cap while still clamped tightly in the top triple.

A bit of heat could help as well, but shouldn't need excessive amounts.

You won't be able to push it through from the puller side. The axle is stepped and seats against the spacers in the hub. At a guess it's possible the threads have been crossed up on the nut. May need to cut the nut off and then clean the axle threads up again. Worst case scenario.

barossi73 03-03-2016 06:08 PM

From memory,i havnt had apart lately but the 'nut'had a sleeve which fork clamps.The nut sleeve could be seized to clamp inner or thread could be bound axle to nut.if you try turn axle from both ends as above(both clamps loose) you double your force and reduce the chance of wrecking your hex.if the whole assembly rotates but nut still tight on axle,then problem is nut/axle thread.if not the nut sleeve is seized in the forkclamp and possibly thread also.get the whole thing rotating first if poss,if the forkclamp has been overtightened it may have created a burr on the nutsleeve which could be locking in the fork clamp slot

mwinschel 03-04-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barossi73 (Post 164416)
From memory,i havnt had apart lately but the 'nut'had a sleeve which fork clamps.The nut sleeve could be seized to clamp inner or thread could be bound axle to nut.if you try turn axle from both ends as above(both clamps loose) you double your force and reduce the chance of wrecking your hex.if the whole assembly rotates but nut still tight on axle,then problem is nut/axle thread.if not the nut sleeve is seized in the forkclamp and possibly thread also.get the whole thing rotating first if poss,if the forkclamp has been overtightened it may have created a burr on the nutsleeve which could be locking in the fork clamp slot

Got it of yesterday finally. Thanks for suggestions. Combination of over tightened and dirt/corrosion it seems.... New goldentyres and tubliss now in place :D . Tune the lectron a little and life should be grand!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

barossi73 03-05-2016 01:13 AM

Glad u got it in the end.i was all out of ideas,apart from the dreaded blowtorch,cutting disc...