Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GasGas EC Ranger... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24441)

Davehuge 05-04-2019 05:33 AM

GasGas EC Ranger...

I really like the idea that GasGas has come up with for the new Ranger, more torque, bottom end power, softer power delivery, softer suspension, etc. than the EC. Great price too!

Seems it would be a great option for people that don't ride competition but still want to do some serious off road riding.

My only gripe is that there's no kick starter...:mad: I don't understand why they would sell an off road bike that relies solely on electric start.

https://gasgas.com/en/enduro/548/41/ec-ranger-2020

Gasser Nate 05-04-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davehuge (Post 189847)
I really like the idea that GasGas has come up with for the new Ranger, more torque, bottom end power, softer power delivery, softer suspension, etc. than the EC. Great price too!

Seems it would be a great option for people that don't ride competition but still want to do some serious off road riding.

My only gripe is that there's no kick starter...:mad: I don't understand why they would sell an off road bike that relies solely on electric start.

https://gasgas.com/en/enduro/548/41/ec-ranger-2020

One reason is the general public is always whining about making bikes lighter. Easy way to shave off some weight there. Most serious riders will always prefer to cart around some extra weight for a little piece of mind. Just have a look at most of the spares people carry around in their bags! I am guilty of carrying half a bike in mine for all the people that barely maintain their toys. My own brother is the prime candidate!

Davehuge 05-04-2019 06:56 AM

Yes, I guess you're right, purely a weight saving idea...although personally I'd prefer to junk the electric starter motor and lead acid battery in favour of a kickstarter. :)

gasgasman 05-04-2019 09:32 AM

Kick starter can be added.

RudolfHucker 05-04-2019 03:37 PM

No sign of any EC Rangers yet in the UK. The importer got one as a demo last September but none have arrived since.

My pal ordered one last November and is still waiting, but not for much longer. He has been for a test ride on a Beta X Trainer and will be cancelling his EC Ranger order on Tuesday.

Elvis74 05-05-2019 12:29 AM

GasGas EC Ranger...

I was asking here in Germany a dealer to purchase one and he told me that the delivery will be delayed till mid of May. But GasGas will deliver than the 2020 version. Also with the delay came a price change from 6490,-€ to 6990,-€ here in Germany. Honestly I am still willing to buy one, but no one has it and the price increase is not good. Let’s see and wait what happens.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

CDN Rick 05-06-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudolfHucker (Post 189852)
No sign of any EC Rangers yet in the UK. The importer got one as a demo last September but none have arrived since.

My pal ordered one last November and is still waiting, but not for much longer. He has been for a test ride on a Beta X Trainer and will be cancelling his EC Ranger order on Tuesday.

They are finally rolling off the assembly line now. Pictures are all over social media the last two weeks. Supposed to start hitting dealer floors in Europe very soon from what I heard. Next week IIRC.. ;)

RudolfHucker 05-06-2019 09:31 AM

Enduro21.com report that there was no GasGas factory team riding the EnduroGP in Portugal last weekend and there will no none at the next round in Spain. They put it down to "Restructuring and redundancies at the GasGas factory and HQ."

Nick 05-11-2019 10:49 AM

The way i read that they were not riding is because of layoffs. They dont want to spend money racing while they say they have to layoff for $$ reasons.

Loveen 07-08-2019 08:56 AM

I own a 2020 EC Ranger and I can't say anything bad about other than that the plastic is abit crap (as always with GasGas). It's really good at the bottom and coming from a 4 stroke it's not as much change as I initially thought.

Got my hands on it mid june, so it was delayed by a month basically.

Jacob 'Berg 07-08-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveen (Post 190911)
I own a 2020 EC Ranger and I can't say anything bad about other than that the plastic is abit crap (as always with GasGas). It's really good at the bottom and coming from a 4 stroke it's not as much change as I initially thought.

Where are you located?

Happy to hear that some people are beginning to see this model on the showroom floor.

Nightwind15 07-13-2019 07:12 AM

Kick Starter

Any time a manufacturer in in need of reaching a price point for marketing a product cuts are make in amenities. Less expensive plastic, kick start removed, instruments cheapened. The Ranger looks like a home run from a marketing standpoint and will be a hit based on price and good quality. It will not be a XC or EC in any department but that is ok, it addresses bringing people to Gasgas.

Gez 07-13-2019 11:35 PM

I saw one in Raceway Motorcycles in Melbourne on Friday. Looks physically a touch smaller and the all white scheme is very stark in comparison to the EC and XC that were sitting next to it.
They only had just rolled it into the showroom days before the salesperson explained. Seems like they are available though so that's a good sign.

Doc Brown 07-14-2019 04:41 AM

My dealer (in Austria) has one. I was impressed because I expected that they use lots of low quality parts, but they don't.

I expected it to be 4cm lower than my EC but it wasn't, I measured only 2cm (approx 1 inch). But the seat is beefy and I could shave off one inch as I did on my EC. The forks are Kayaba 46mm. It seems the frame is the same and so are the plastics. The exhaust pipe is smaller and higher up and there is a 120 rear tire instead of the 140 of the EC's and XC's. The brake disc looks different but is also from NG, the master cylinder is (I think) from AJP and not from Nissin.

Unfortunately he did not let me test ride it :-)

Maybe the video below will give you a better view as Barry -the biggest Beta fan on earth- really was impressed and said that his X-Trainer suspension was tuned but could not cope with the Rangers forks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLsZaLmOiO0

Moto7man 07-16-2019 12:17 AM

Maybe My Next Bike?

That is a really good video. The Ranger really looks like a great package especially for tight tough single track. I am leaning toward buying one.:eek::D:

Doc Brown 07-16-2019 06:56 AM

Glad you like it. I am thinking about one too :D

Davehuge 07-16-2019 07:14 AM

If I was buying a new bike I would definitely have one. :)

I would definitely add a kick starter though.

Loveen 07-17-2019 04:18 AM

I'm located in Europe and I guess it arrived here first.

Never ridden the Xtrainer so I can't really say anything related to how different the Ranger is compared to that, but compared to the Freeride it's much more tuned towards Enduro. Forks are really outstanding, even at higher pace.

sled_fiend 07-17-2019 10:13 AM

I've been looking at the Ranger for my next bike. Does anyone know what the difference in engine characteristic would be between the 200 and the 300? I don't see any reviewers taking about that. My thought is that since both are supposed to be turned for more bottom end there might not be that much difference other than the 300 just having more torque. Does that seem right?

Moto7man 07-17-2019 01:57 PM

200 v. 300

Quote:

Originally Posted by sled_fiend (Post 191063)
I've been looking at the Ranger for my next bike. Does anyone know what the difference in engine characteristic would be between the 200 and the 300? I don't see any reviewers taking about that. My thought is that since both are supposed to be turned for more bottom end there might not be that much difference other than the 300 just having more torque. Does that seem right?

I don't know if this very applicable to a GasGas, but this spring I did the Beta demo ride. The Beta 200 was very good it had some decent low end with a good mid to top rev, but you had to keep the revs up. You can't lug and short shift like a 300.

Loveen 07-30-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sled_fiend (Post 191063)

They haven't released any 200 version of the Ranger, I think they'll be released next year though. When I talked to the GasGas representative earlier this year, he thought that the 200 would be too weak in the bottom and you had to really rev it to make it go. Never tried the Beta 200, but I'd say the 200 version of the Ranger would be a bit different than the Beta in terms of engine characteristics.

Like Moto7man, you probably wont be able to ride the 200 the same as the 300.

Stewee64 08-11-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveen (Post 190911)

Hi Loveen, I've just bought an EC Ranger too and I'm having a really bad time with it. Out of the box it seems really hesitant to go over 55 mph, and if you level off the throttle at any speed it seems to pulse a little (fast-slower-faster e.t.c...). I need to get it back to my dealer but he's a few hours away, so before I do I wanted to check with you that the Ranger should just run OK slow to fast.

Davehuge 08-12-2019 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewee64 (Post 191479)
Hi Loveen, I've just bought an EC Ranger too and I'm having a really bad time with it.

Your jetting needs setting up. As the engine is a high performance 2 stroke, it's impossible for the factory to send them out to suit all altitudes/climates. It seems all the EC and Rangers leave the factory with very rich jetting, hence the problem you're having.

I wish GasGas (and other manufacturers) sent their bikes out with a jetting kit, a selection of pilots, mains and needles, that would be nice. :cool:

Ask your dealer if he's willing to sell you jets/needles at trade price or provide you with them on a trial basis and return what you don't need.

It's well worth spending a little time and effort getting the jetting dialed in, it will transform your bike. :)

I see from the spec the Ranger uses a 36mm Keihin as opposed the 38mm on the EC so I assume the jetting will be slightly different.

All the best, Dave.

Loveen 08-12-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewee64 (Post 191479)
Hi Loveen, I've just bought an EC Ranger too and I'm having a really bad time with it. Out of the box it seems really hesitant to go over 55 mph, and if you level off the throttle at any speed it seems to pulse a little (fast-slower-faster e.t.c...). I need to get it back to my dealer but he's a few hours away, so before I do I wanted to check with you that the Ranger should just run OK slow to fast.

Yep, excatly as you mentioned. I mostly notice it at lower RPMs, it doesn't really want to run clean - but when you give it some throttle it runs great. I have no problem reaching 65-70 mph. I will also be looking for a new jet. Had a friend with a EC250 with same issues, so it's definetly a jetting issue.

Loveen 08-22-2019 12:35 PM

Quick update on jetting:

I swapped out the N1EF (standard) to the N1EG and it runs very smooth now throughout the register. Have only tried a couple rides around the yard but I will go to the enduro track tomorrow and try it out but it already feels better.

Stewee64 08-22-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loveen (Post 191637)
Quick update on jetting:

I swapped out the N1EF (standard) to the N1EG and it runs very smooth now throughout the register. Have only tried a couple rides around the yard but I will go to the enduro track tomorrow and try it out but it already feels better.

Interesting. I had 2 days out in the Welsh hills this week and I still feel it lacks any sort of grunt over 40mph, and still feels choppy and rough. For reference I am mostly riding between sea level and 700 metres, and temp between 15-25 degrees C.

SS109 08-22-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewee64 (Post 191640)
Interesting. I had 2 days out in the Welsh hills this week and I still feel it lacks any sort of grunt over 40mph, and still feels choppy and rough. For reference I am mostly riding between sea level and 700 metres, and temp between 15-25 degrees C.

Have you messed with the jetting yet?

Stewee64 08-23-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS109 (Post 191645)
Have you messed with the jetting yet?

Not yet. I checked with the UK importer who runs a demo bike which I tried out before buying mine. His bike ran great and he, like me, is using the stock jetting.
I have some jets on order.

Moto7man 09-16-2019 09:43 PM

Dirt Bike Magazine Tests 2020 Ranger-They Love it!

I just read the test of the 2020 Ranger in the October 2019 Issue of Dirt Bike Magazine. They loved everything about the bike.They did say the jetting was rich. They said the Ranger can go toe to toe with any bike made on tight slow technical trails.

Davehuge 12-30-2019 06:12 AM

I've read many times about the GasGas electric start being weak, only just man enough to start the engine or sometimes not starting it at all.

I like the look of the Ranger and would consider one but, seeing as there's no kick start, I hope they've improved the electric start! :eek:

Moto7man 12-30-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davehuge (Post 193278)
I've read many times about the GasGas electric start being weak, only just man enough to start the engine or sometimes not starting it at all.

I like the look of the Ranger and would consider one but, seeing as there's no kick start, I hope they've improved the electric start! :eek:

I don?t think we will see any rangers or any 2020 enduro models in the US.

(F5) 12-30-2019 06:20 PM

None of my race bikes had either a kick or electric start. . .
We used to sneer at people carrying the extra weight.

Although I never tended to stall them in a creek or 1/2 way up a hill when the front stops on a rock.
:D
. . . and I could paddle or run and jump start, being tarmac.

Ranger does look good.
Wet mod the e.starter side and it looks like a blanking plug over the kick shaft; find 2nd hand parts and start it cold with kicker.

Loveen 01-03-2020 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davehuge (Post 193278)

Haven't really had any issues with the starter - but make sure battery is fully charged (original battery is lead) and it should last throughout the day. Might be even better if you get a lithium battery.

I've ran it with studded tyres when it's around -5 C and with fully charged battery it starts up after 10-20 sec.

Also, I've talked to one of the importers here in Europe and he mentioned you could fit the same kickstarter which is mounted on the other EC-models, since the engine is pretty much identical.